Gloster Javelin F. AW 5 XA699 1:72

Hello All,

After a  hiatus of around 15 years I have extracted my stash from my parent's house and decided it is time to start building again.

Because what little skill I have will have gone walkabout in that time I am going with a kit I started before the break.

It is a Novo Javelin F.AW 9 which I had hacked about to turn into the F.AW5 at Coventry Air Museum.

Although the fuselage and wings have been joined, the join between them is dodgy and several of the parts are missing so this will be a long build.

One of those missing parts is a canopy, so if anyone knows where I can get hold of an aftermarket canopy that would be great.

Working on the principle that I won't be able to find one I was planning to make a vacuum forming machine tonight and have a crack at making a canopy over the next few weeks.

Pics to follow...

Joel

• Like 6

So this is what I am starting with:

48958951763_faa958df80_k.jpg20191021_210946 by Joel, on Flickr

48958951513_da2182f2e4_k.jpg20191021_211009 by Joel, on Flickr

In summary; modified wings and tail, some fairly dodgy joins and nice thin paint but with runs the colours look off (it might just be the matt finish though).

Edited by OutcastJoel
  • Like 7

With the vac forming machine developing slowly and the rest of my modelling being focused on some buildings I decided to get moving again by replacing the lost nose cone.

it took me about an hour to draw it up in CAD (I am very rusty).

48982668106_a8f99fae50.jpgGloster Javelin Nose CAD by Joel, on Flickr

Edited by OutcastJoel
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Having fitted the nose cone I figured i might as well make this as good as i can manage and use it as a test bed for stuff i have never tried before so i have removed the raised panel lines and scribed new ones in.

48997420188_917cedc288_k.jpg20191101_214307 by Joel, on Flickr

Edited by OutcastJoel
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, OutcastJoel said:

I used the back of a scalpel for the scribing and am reasonably happy with it. Do propper scribing tools make a big difference?

Its always nice to see someone returning to the hobby. In my experience proper scribers can make a world of difference, although there are those who get good results form a needle in a pin vise.

Martian 👽

• Like 1

Very nice recovery on that old kit, and very envious of your 3D printing facility.

You may not need to print a new radome to accommodate ballast; there’s a lot of room in the front fuselage ahead of and below the cockpit for fishing weights, lead shot or lead sheet.

As Martian says you can use a needle in a pin vise, and I’ve had acceptable results from that despite being lethally fat-fingered.  For long straight lines the tip of a fine saw blade can also give acceptable results.

It looks like you might originally have used Humbrol 30 for the Dark Green of the camouflage (but it could just be that the colour balance on my screen is off).  Humbrol 163, or even 116, is a better match for RAF Dark Green but obviously other manufacturers produce paints that are also a good match, e.g. Colourcoats and Xtracolour.

• Thanks 1

Thank you all.

That is some really helpful advice. I am swinging by a model shop later so should be able to pick up the correct colour paint.

I don't think they will have scribers so i will have to do some research ready for the next old kit I work on! 

• 4 weeks later...

I started contemplating resin seats but struggled to find the right sort for a javelin (MB Mk3 J I think) I eventually decided that given that this was already a half started kit with many poor decisions already too late to rectify, spending money on aftermarket stuff wasn't really the right approach.

So I have started hacking about the seats to make them into something closer to the real thing but still very basic.

I am planning to use paper for seat belts, does anyone have any ideas?

I have also started to paint up some of the huge pieces of flash to produce the dashboard.

49129463757_2982bffad4_k.jpg20191126_205240_Film2 by Hosted on Flickr

My ejector seats take up the whole width of the cockpit, can anyone think of a way I can fit in side consoles?

I guess the ideal would have been for me to have reshaped the cockpit when I first built it, but that ship has sailed...

• Like 2

I continued detailing my cockpit with sorting the kit's ejector seats.

I started with some slight reshaping of the seats before adding firing handles from wire and finally dressing them up with harnesses provided courtesy of Antti_K, which along with lots of reference photos are available in his excellent 48th scale Javelin build thread here:

Antti, without your help on this, these would be a darn sight worse so thank you.

49138529107_a3e6cc8537_k.jpg20191127_190122_Film2 by Joel , on Flickr

49137836818_061039514f_k.jpg20191128_184235_Film2 by Joel, on Flickr

49137836448_d79b08aa15_k.jpg20191128_184216_Film2 by Joel, on Flickr

• Like 2

I cut thin strips of Tamiya masking tape for seat belts, but yours look great anyway so I'd stick with what you're using.

If you have any sponge pads like used for packing flat-pack furniture these cut up well and can be squeezed into cockpits.

It is always nice to see an old model getting a "Mid Life Up-date" treatment. That new radome looks very good. Imagine what we can create in few years time when advancing technology gets better and cheaper!

Joel, I thought that you are also building a 1/48 scale Javelin. Those seat belts and straps in 1/72 scale require some very precise work and you are doing a great job!

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

I use the foam pads for detailing, cut them into shapes for cockpit consoles, etc. 

I get it now, that is clever.  I have some off cuts of insulation foam (Kingspan) which I think might work similarly so I will give them a shot.

1 hour ago, Antti_K said:

It is always nice to see an old model getting a "Mid Life Up-date" treatment. That new radome looks very good. Imagine what we can create in few years time when advancing technology gets better and cheaper!

Joel, I thought that you are also building a 1/48 scale Javelin. Those seat belts and straps in 1/72 scale require some very precise work and you are doing a great job!

Cheers,

Antti

Thank you! It was very fiddly, it took about half an hour just to cut out the belts for one seat but I think the end result is worth it!

I was quite fortunate that I have another Javelin which I was able to measure up to work out the radome shape, I hate to think how hard it would have been to guess the shape from scratch.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Camouflage and silver underside done.

This is the first time I have ever sprayed camo so I am really chuffed with how it came out, I did the silver first and masked it up for a coat of grey on the uppers. Following that I sketched out the pattern on paper and then stuck it on with blutak. 

The bluetak worked really well but the masking tape pulled up some paint. Is special modelling masking tape better in this regard than standard painters tape?

49317405908_4d11f8bd01_k.jpg20200102_191951_Film2 by Joel, on Flickr

• Like 2

This looks great. I've been staring at the same airfix kit in my stash for a few days now. Might have to get started on it. 

You can get masking tape that many refer to as tamiya tape. It comes in very thin widths and all the widths in between up to about half inch. It's usually yellow. 

I don't buy 'tamiya' tape, but instead buy the off brand refills for the tamiya tape dispenser. 

• Like 1

On 02/01/2020 at 20:59, FPDPenguin said:

This looks great. I've been staring at the same airfix kit in my stash for a few days now. Might have to get started on it. 

You can get masking tape that many refer to as tamiya tape. It comes in very thin widths and all the widths in between up to about half inch. It's usually yellow. 

I don't buy 'tamiya' tape, but instead buy the off brand refills for the tamiya tape dispenser. 

Do it, no such thing as too many Javelins!

I ended up buying tamiya tape as it was what my local model shop had in stock and then cracked on with the no step markings.

Masked up

49334715623_80f35b0728_k.jpg20200105_185240_Film2 by Joel, on Flickr

I am slowly getting the hang of airbrushing!

49334715093_0885e79460_k.jpg20200105_192313_Film2 by Joel, on Flickr

Really chuffed with the result! 

49334714453_bf3df12c94_k.jpg20200105_193404_Film2 by Joel, on Flickr

Edited by OutcastJoel
  • Like 6

Looks fantastic. I'm just about to get mine out the box and fettle some bits before going to bed. 

If you look on ebay you can get the tape in really thin widths, I use it for canopies and tight bits. It's only a quid or so cheaper than the 'real' stuff. 

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, FPDPenguin said:

If you look on ebay you can get the tape in really thin widths

Some more info would be appreciated on this tape, I'm not sure what you're referring to. :unsure:

@OutcastJoel This is coming along nicely Joel, you're making a good fist of a pretty ordinary old kit. :)

Steve.

• Thanks 1