Hi-Decal 2024-25 News and Upcoming Projects. Next releases: Gloster Meteor F.8/FR.9 (04/24) and Hawker Hunter (06/24)

Diego

Hi-Decal new releases for 2024-25  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Here are some of the releases that we plan for the next year (always in both 1/72 and 1/48 scales) . Please let us know your favorite ones (multiple choices are of course possible)

• Hawker Hunter - Denmark, Peru, Chile, Somalia, Oman
    • F-4C/D Phantom II - "Grey Guardians" - Air National Guard in Hill I and II schemes and an experimental splintered Rhino
    • F-4C/D/E/G & RF-4C/E Phantom II - USAF/export walkways and slime lights
    • T-6G Texan - Iran, South Vietnam, Morocco, Egypt, United Arab Republic
    • F-5A/RF-5A Freedom Fighter - Iran, South Vietnam, Vietnam, Jordan, Greece, Morocco, Ethiopia
    • DH Vampire - Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Lebanon, Iraq
    • Gloster Meteor F.8 / FR.9 - Egypt, Syria, Danmark, Ecuador
    • Hawker (Sea) Fury - Egypt, Iraq, Morocco, Pakistan

HD48033  &  HD72063 :   F-4E Phantom II "Pharaoh's ghosts"
- "7813" in disruptive "Compass Ghost Grey" camouflage, 1980,
- "7827" in "South East Asia" camouflage with orange & black quick ID panels, 1983,
- "7818" in "Hill One" scheme, seen in 1988,

- "7817" in "Hill Two" scheme with orange & black quick ID panels, 1990. Before being sold to Egypt, this Phantom was credited with the downing of a Vietnamese MiG-21 in August 1972, when serving with the USAF 58th TFS.

Please stay tuned - more soon... :happy:

Greetings

Diego

Edited by Diego
  • Like 1

Wow!!

You managed to include the differrnt eagle designs on the flag!! Mostly this feature is omitted...the earlier is the mire rounded one, the later and current one is more angled and slimmer :)

Thanks a lot

• 1 month later...

The decals arrived and look very good. Even the small flag on the post-1983 eagle is clearly visible.  I will post some shots during the next few days.

Unfortunately, due to my daily work commitments I am still working on the instruction sheets, and this will take some more time more to be done.  However, I hope to have them available for delivery in early November :)

greetings

Diego

Edited by Diego
  • Like 2

Hi Andreas,

The first Iranian F-4Es were unslotted birds. They were updated with LES at a later stage during their service with the IIAF.

I will check my references and let you know some of their serials and codes. :)

Greetings

Diego

Edited by Diego
  • Like 1

Hello Andreas,

As promised:

Iran got 30 unslatted F-4Es (with long gun muzzle) from blocks 46 and 47, delivered during 1971.

(Later delivered Es were already build with LES)

15 airframes: F-4E-46-MC serials 69-7711 to 69-7726, IIAF codes 3-633 to 3-649 ( later reserialled 3-692 to 3-707)  later reserialled in the 3-6xxx series ,

15 airframes: F-4E-47-MC serials 69-7727 to 69-7742, IIAF codes 3-650 to 3-664 ( later resierialled 3-708 to 3-722) later reserialled in the 3-6xxx series ,

These birds were modernized with LES already few years after entering service (I guess the first reserialling had something to do with this modernisation, the new four digit system being then introduced in 1975) and several crashed during their early service years, so, if you want to have a correctly marked early, unslatted IIAF bird, the safest method would be to use the first codes, used during 1971/72:

To make things simpler, you can for example make F-4E-47-MC Serial N° 69-7739 coded 3-661 and use our sheet HD48025 for F-4D:

Use the markings N° 1,2,3,5, 8  and then 10 & 11 - only switching the farsi ( N°11) and arabic (N°10) codes from 3-616 to 3-661 

For the serial you will need to find and compose the code  "97739" and apply in place of decal N° 7 but such digits should be simple to find ( a.o. in our sheet HD48028 for Turkish Phantoms )

During the early 1970, TFB markings ( like N° 12) were not used.

Please note that on these early F-4D/E/RF-4E  Phantoms the nose codes were not applied on the small nose intakes (like on later, post 1975 Phantoms) but directly above the forward fuselage yellow formation light panel.

Also the code on the tail was not applied directly above the flag, like on F-4D 3-616, but already on the top of the tail, like on F-4D 3-6707, also due to the presence of the formation light panel.

:spacer.png

Please consider also that these were new airframeas and that IIAF birds were always mantained in pristine condition. 

in case of any further questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Greetings

Diego

Edited by Diego
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello Diego !

some news for 2022 ?

On 12/11/2020 at 14:03, Diego said:

Und here the first scann of the new  Pharaoh's Ghosts" - Egyptian Air force F-4Es decal sheet :)

spacer.png

More very soon

Greetings

Diego

Edited by Fulcrum@
  • Like 2

On 12/25/2021 at 6:42 PM, Fulcrum@ said:

Hello Diego !

some news for 2022 ?

Unfortunately, due to several professional, health and family related issues we had to slow down work on new items.

The long awaited "Pharaoh's Ghosts" sheets are just being released and shipped to our distributors.

Several of the depicted Egyptian Phantoms had been hard to research, but we managed to get all the necessary data, even including the specific, unique stencilling used on some planes.  Like Romans used to say, "finis coronat opus" 🙂
Sorry fot the delays and thanks for your patience!

16233_0.jpg

16233_1.jpg16233_2.jpg

... and we plan to release all other announced projects during 2022/23

Greetings and a Happy and Healthy New Year!

Diego

Edited by Diego
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Diego said:

Unfortunately, due to several professional, health and family related issues we had to slow down work on new items.

The long awaited "Pharaoh's Ghosts" sheets are just being released and shipped to our distributors.

Several of the depicted Egyptian Phantoms had been hard to research, but we managed to get all the necessary data, even including the specific, unique stencilling used on some planes.  Like Romans used to say, "finis coronat opus" 🙂
Sorry fot the delays and thanks for your patience!

16233_0.jpg

16233_1.jpg16233_2.jpg

... and we plan to release all other announced projects during 2022/23

Greetings and a Happy and Healthy New Year!

Diego

Thanks for your excellent job, Diego ! 

I hope 2022 is better than last year for you...Happy new year !

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Diego changed the title to Hi-Decal 2021/22 - News and Upcoming Projects
2 hours ago, David Koktavý said:

Hello Mr. Diego,

I have the sheet F-84G Thunderjet , but unfortunatelly I can not find the photo of the real subject for FS-373 and for french 3-HP too. Please can you help me with some advice where I can find it, or posting some photo ?

Dobry dén David,

Some shots of 3-HP were published many years ago in the French magazine AIR FAN. There is a grat book "Tonerre sur la France" by Jean -Jacques Petit that contains all what is known about French F-84s.

BTW, the 3-HP is illustrated on the cover, but with already overpainted stars and bars. (see below)

Re. FS-373 -as I worked on this project, I planned to include a bird from the 340 Mira ( not good documented at that time) and asked for help my freinds from IPMS Greece....and they came with a "just discovered"  shot of FS-373 taking off using RATO bottles....I guess, this foto was surely later published by IPMS Greece but I worked with the original shot, recreating the scheme.

Greetings

Diego  

img562-e1638884065627.jpg

• Thanks 1

Having in mind the nice, new Airfix kit of the DH Vampire in 1/48th scale as well as the available, Special Hobby, Dragon etc. kits in 1/72nd scale, we plan to release a sheet covering DH Vampires serving with several Mid Eastern countries, that has never been available in decal form:

* HD48038  &  HD72048 :  DH Vampire FB.9 and FB.52

- Iraqi Air Force in sand/brown camouflage 1959,
- Egyptian Air force in aluminium overall finish 1956 ( very active during the Suez, war, credited with the downing of a IDF/AF F-51 Mustang on 31 October 1956), 
- Jordanian Air Force in locally applied dark green / dark sea grey camouflage, 1962,

- Lebanese Air Force, aluminium overall with red tail, wingtips and nose, 1965,

- Saudi Arabian Air Force in aluminum overall finish, 1960,

Greetings

Diego

Edited by Diego
  • Like 6

• Diego changed the title to Hi-Decal 2022/23 - News and Upcoming Projects: DH Vampire, Hawker Hunter, T-6G Texan/Harvard

We have reissued our popular MiG-15bis sheets HD48009 and HD72022, now including markings for  black 1990, a "post -Suez"  Egyptian AF Fagot with a big "black dragon" insignia on the nose:

1975_1.jpg

1975_0.jpg

... and are just reprinting  our popular sheet HD72052 for four colorful Iranian AF F-5E/F Tiger II / Azaraksh: 

HDL_72-052_F-5E_decal.jpghd_48016_p.jpg

Edited by Diego
  • Like 2

• Diego changed the title to Hi-Decal 2022/23 - News and Upcoming Projects: Mi-4 Hound, DH Vampire, Hawker Hunter, T-6G Texan/Harvard
On 5/4/2022 at 1:12 AM, Warwolf said:

Is there any update on when the Hawker Hunter sheet will be released? Or at least be able to see the graphics of the schemes so we know what we'd be getting? Thanks.

Well, the Hunter is still "on the worktable" as there were some details that had to be further resarched and cleared. We will of course post some images when the sheet will go to be printed, hopefully in August/September.

We would like to avoid the situation that happened with our 1/72nd scale Mi-4 sheet, when the owner of a polish company packaging classic Czech kits, let say " heavily based" his "decal design" for his Mi-4 boxings(s) on our  research and artwork, copying most of the offered schemes and decals down to the smallest detail.

Then he sold "his" artwork to the new ( Hungarian, then again Czech ) owners of the Mi-4 molds...

(Exactly the same procedure was followed with our Su-7 and Mi-8 sheets :(...but it should be also said that this polish company packaged and sold the Avia S-199 as Me-109G simply adding german markings :))

Therefore, we will update and partially change the contents of our upcoming 48037 sheet, adding several schemes that have never previously been available to the modeller, specially that the Trumpeter release will also be the first one in this scale. :)

Edited by Diego
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

I'm sorry to learn your hard work was stolen by another company @Diego. While it is said that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery it must also be said that plagiarism is simply another name for theft :rant:

On 5/16/2022 at 10:50 AM, Diego said:

We would like to avoid the situation that happened with our 1/72nd scale Mi-4 sheet, when a group of well known companies simply, let say " heavily based" their "decal design" for their Mi-4 releases on our  research and artwork, copying most of the offered schemes and decals down to the smallest detail. 

Sadly this is becoming a regular thing in other, larger circumstances too. While I appreciate that announcing product ahead of release helps sales it has to be balanced with the risk that exactly this sort of thing will happen. However the need for co-operation from knowledgeable folks means some notice must be given.

Adapting what I advised at a former employer may I suggest the following:

Establish 'ground rules' such as sheets always available in X and Y scales released together, never do a re-print, etc.

Select some subjects that you can research and others for kits that are on the market.

Start polls in various forums, at shows you attend, etc. for the subjects suggested. Allow space for suggestions with contact details.

If you like the look of a suggestion follow it up requesting help and advice (offer freebies to useful people?)

Announce the product publicly shortly before it is available

That should put a brake on copying, keep flexibility, attract collaborators, and mean your sheets hit the market only when the kit actually appears. No re-prints means those who are uncertain will buy rather than wait helping cash flow, however if demand is huge the initial run can be extended. Don't overlook older kits, conversion possibilities, smaller manufacturers, and even film subjects on sheets things the big boys won't offer in the box but may mean a few extra sales. The number of aircraft in service with multiple users is vast but few are covered by decal options even when several conversion options exist. It may be a niche but it's likely a huge one.