Wellington Mk.IC

With all the preshading complete, the time came to add some colour. I masked up the camo sections and started to mix up some Vallejo white acrylic. Along with red, white is one of my least favourite colours to airbrush! However, I mixed up a ratio of 5:1 and began spraying a light coat. All went well, and it sprayed evenly and settled down.

IMG_20191201_224507

Untill I reached the underside of the tail plane, and there the paint left several marks (I'm guessing there is something on the plastic).

IMG_20191201_224519

I will let it dry and try not to panic about it, hopefully I will be able to spray over it.......that or sand it down!

• Like 9

• 4 weeks later...

Back at the build after a long christmas break, and lucky to have received a couple of kits under my tree (most notably.....if in size more than anything an Airfix Victor!). Before my break I airbrushed another coat of white, which covered the marks on the tail. This I then sealed in, and masked up the top of the aircraft ready for some Vallejo Dark Earth. Today I set up the airbrush, mixed some Dark Earth and began spraying the build.

IMG_20191229_170551 IMG_20191229_170556

I'm really happy with the way the paint has settled and the light grey preshading underneath. A happy restart to the build.

• Like 9

Since my last post I have given the Wellington another light coat of Dark Earth, this again settled well and I left it to dry before adding highlights.

IMG_20191229_170556

Then I mixed a little white into the Dark Earth, and carefully airbrushed some highlights onto the panels.

IMG_20200104_193708

I have done this sparingly, and was careful to make sure they are not too much lighter. Next I plan to unmask and then seal it in before starting the Dark Green.

• Like 8

Once the varnish was dry I masked up the Dark Earth sections, and set to work with the Dark Green. This airbrushed evenly and has settled well, I am now 2 light coats down and pretty happy with it.

IMG_20200107_201927

Next I plan to airbrush some highlights on the green and seal it in with Quick shine varnish.

• Like 9

12 hours ago, Col. said:

Nice painwork so far Shellie. Hope that Yak-38 lurking on the sideline is going to get resurrected sometime as well.

Thank you, the Yak is my paint tester. I spray that and half a Chinook to test my mix.

Thanks,

Michelle

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, Shelliecool said:

Thank you, the Yak is my paint tester. I spray that and half a Chinook to test my mix.

Thanks,

Michelle

Aww, poor neglected Yak :( Will just have to build my own one some time instead. Is there a story behind the the two paint mules?

Edited by Col.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Col. said:

Aww, poor neglected Yak :( Will just have to build my own one some time instead. Is there a story behind the the two paint mules?

The Chinook kit was given toe with most parts missing, so instead of putting it in a cupboard I decided to use it for airbrushing practice. The Yak was used to practice the hairspray technique. I spray them a little every time I airbrush, so really they are quite loved😁.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

With the paint dry, time came to unmask the aircraft. I was relieved to find the paint hadn't bled under the tape and am rather happy with the look of the build so far.

IMG_20200118_180711 IMG_20200118_180724

I then sealed in the paintwork with a coat of Quick shine varnish. On to the undercarriage and props.

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Since my last post I have been working on the undercarriage. This I imagined would be pretty straightforward, however, it doesn't fit very well (or at all into the wheel bays!). With a lot of fiddling around, trying to hold the main strut in place, while making the brace fit (which it doesn't!), I finally got them in place. Once the glue had set I removed them for painting, airbrushing them Vallejo silver.

IMG_20200125_191554

IMG_20200204_215816

I then constructed the wheels and airbrushed the hubs silver. Getting there slowly.

IMG_20200204_215822

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Since my last post i have spent time airbrushing the tyres on all 3 wheels. The paint settled well but the seam line is still visible😒. Because of this I will sand them down again and repeat the process, hopefully to better effect. I have also airbrush the landing gear doors, inside dark sea grey and outside white.... Thankfully this was pretty straight forward. 

2020-02-19_11-38-35

• Like 5

I have been working away on the seams that were visible on the wheels. This took a lot of sanding, and some filler, and yet more sanding🙄. Finally, I was ready to reapply some colour, and thankfully it has worked! 

2020-02-23_11-22-05

Next I plan to add some weathering and build the undercarriage. 

• Like 7

Since my last post I have carefully applied the decals to the build. There are very few of these, they are however nice quality. I bedded them in with some micro sol, and left them to dry. 

2020-03-01_05-46-09 2020-03-01_05-46-19

Once they are dry I will seal them in and add a dirt wash. 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Back in the Saddle said:

That looks rather good! I'm tempted to add a Wellington to my stash (which is not nearly big enough yet...!) and am torn between this kit and the new tool Airfix offering. I think Airfix will win, but I do like this one too.

That is the new tool Airfix kit. It's the second release with new nose parts.

Chris

• Like 1