Wellington Mk.IC

2019-10-21_10-13-23

My next build is Italeri's 1:72 Wellington Mk IC. I have had this in the stash a while and am excited to begin building it as I live a few miles away from Moreton in marsh, which during WWII was home to Wellington bombers. 

IMG_20191020_142118

The box contains a detailed set of instructions, decals and colour schemes for 6 aircraft and some lovely artwork. 

IMG_20191020_142210

There are 5 grey sprues, and a clear sprue. All with a nice amount of detailing, and little flash, and it looks like a nice kit to build.

IMG_20191020_142237

I plan to build my aircraft straight from the box using Vallejo acrylics, in the colours of No. 304 Polish Bomber Squadron, RAF Costal Command 1942. I've already given the sprues a wash and primed the interior parts, so here goes!

• Like 14

I'm in Shellie :popcorn:

On 21/10/2019 at 22:24, Shelliecool said:

I live a few miles away from Moreton in marsh,

Have you ever been to 'Wellington Aviation'? It's only open on Sundays and closed in the winter but I have it on my 'to visit list' and wonder if it's worth a special trip up from Bath?

• Like 2

On 23/10/2019 at 13:44, Hamden said:

Love the Wimpy, looking forward to watching this come together.

Wheels up or down on this one?

Roger

I'm thinking wheels up on a home made stand.

Thanks,

Michelle

• Like 5

I have been working hard since my last post, airbrushing the components that make up the cockpit and interior of the aircraft. I have also painted the inside of the fuselage, as I only have the Humbrol alternative to the rust interior colour (and no Humbrol thinner, and bad experiences airbrushing their acrylics) I opted to brush paint this. I'm not too concerned about brush strokes being visible, as you won't be able to see much of the inside of the aircraft once built. That said I'm fairly happy with the results I managed to achieve.

2019-10-27_05-55-00

• Like 12

On 23/10/2019 at 08:24, CedB said:

I'm in Shellie :popcorn:

Have you ever been to 'Wellington Aviation'? It's only open on Sundays and closed in the winter but I have it on my 'to visit list' and wonder if it's worth a special trip up from Bath?

Its well worth a visit if you are in the area. Its a good couple of hours entertainment but if I were you, I would have something else penciled in as well to get the most out of your trip.

Martian 👽 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Shelliecool said:

I have been working hard since my last post, airbrushing the components that make up the cockpit and interior of the aircraft. I have also painted the inside of the fuselage, as I only have the Humbrol alternative to the rust interior colour (and no Humbrol thinner, and bad experiences airbrushing their acrylics) I opted to brush paint this. I'm not too concerned about brush strokes being visible, as you won't be able to see much of the inside of the aircraft once built. That said I'm fairly happy with the results I managed to achieve.

2019-10-27_05-55-00

That's just fine for what you want to do Michelle.

Martian 👽

• Thanks 1

Looks good to me Shellie - I admire your patience picking out all the framing :) 

Martian thanks for the note on Wellington Aviation - still on the list and I'll find something else in the area for a Sunday trip next year.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Shelliecool said:

, as you won't be able to see much (any) of the inside of the aircraft once built. That said I'm fairly happy with the results I managed to achieve.

Looking good Michelle. I would be happy with it too. I did the Airfix Wellington and for my next one I am going to leave out 59 pieces of (invisible) interior detailing.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235042339-wellington-ic-airfix-t2508-37-sqn/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

Looking good Michelle. I would be happy with it too. I did the Airfix Wellington and for my next one I am going to leave out 59 pieces of (invisible) interior detailing.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235042339-wellington-ic-airfix-t2508-37-sqn/

Thanks Ed, yours looks great, I hope mine looks half as good.

Michelle

• 2 weeks later...

Having finished the interior, I began work on the front and rear gun turrets, and disaster struck! The clear sections come in several parts which need fitting together, to form the domed shapes. Now if they fitted together nicely then this would be fiddly at best, however they don't fit together properly. In fact they hardly fitted at all, this caused a lot of bad language, failed attempts and fingers being glued together! Now these things are sent to try us I guess, and I kept at it, finally getting them to fit in a fashion. Once dry, I used filler for the many gaps and once sanded down masked the glass. I have airbrushed them both white, and given them a coat of Quick shine gloss to fix the paintwork.

IMG_20191103_172359

I will next place them in the fuselage and secure the halves together, with a big sigh of relief.

• Like 7

On 10/22/2019 at 7:54 AM, Shelliecool said:

I live a few miles away from Moreton in marsh, which during WWII was home to Wellington bombers. 

A lovely spot! My wife and I stayed at a B&B there in 2014. The airfield's mostly intact and there are a few dispersals just over the road outside the airfield fence.

• Like 1

So the time came to join the fuselage halves together, always a dicey moment. After several dry fits I was happy with the fit, so added glue along one had of the fuselage. Carefully I secured them together, taping them in place. Once dry I was fairly happy with the fit, a few small gaps, but nothing that a spot of filler won't cure. Then I began sanding the seam, when I had sanded it down roughly I went along the seam with so.e Mr.Surfacer 1000, layering it up to conceal the line. 

IMG_20191112_222242 IMG_20191112_222249 IMG_20191112_222259

When this has completely dried, I will begin Sanding again. 

• Like 7

I have been a busy bee sanding, reapplying mr.surfacer, sanding, and finally I was happy(ish) with the seam. Then I attached the wings. These were a terrible fit, the tabs to attach them with didn't fit in the slots, and even when sanded the wings didn't fit flush with the fuselage! Lots of filler was needed around the joins. The same can be said for the tailplanes, these needed Sanding down and again it left gaps.

2019-11-17_03-06-34

Both are now in place and I can move on to the engines and cowlings.

Edited by Shelliecool
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
IMG_20191123_221116

I have been busy building the engines and securing them in the cowlings. Once these were dry I secured the cowlings to the wings and filled any small gaps with filler. Then once happy with my sanding and seams I loaded my airbrush with primer, and began painting.

IMG_20191125_223719

I'm pretty happy with the seams and am looking forward to adding some colour.

• Like 8

With the primer dry the time came to add some preshading (I know not to everyone's liking, but I do like it). There are a lot of panel lines on this beast, with all the lattice work in wooden frames, so this is going to take me a while!

2019-11-30_06-41-21

I have begun with the top sections of the aircraft that will be camouflage pattern, using a hemp acrylic. I have watched International Britmodeller try this and liked the effect so I'm hoping it works.

Edited by Shelliecool
  • Like 6