FAA Hellcat query?

keithjs

I've decided to do this Hellcat from the new Dutch Decal sheet, but, what do you think those marks are along the fuselage? I'm wondering if they're Red Oxide patches? Do you think they'd be on the other side too? I can't find a shot of that side. The decal sheet doesn't mention them. Obviously they weren't always on there but just curious as I'd like to add them.

Also, the part of the flap that's hidden when retracted do you think that should be camo colours or interior green?

One day I'll add the rockets too.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

48937194548_c04cd976b5_b.jpgeabc9ccbeecdbd9cd9402cf8615ddd55

I don't know the colours either but the paint patching goes behind what appears to be repainted aircraft codes, and the step as well.  In fact is the B white (matches the white band on the tail) and the 8H a different colour (Sky, matches the underside)?

I hope you decals are uneven to match..

Edited by Grey Beema

Red oxide is unlikely as considerable pains were taken to eliminate red from these aircraft, hence the roundels and fin flashes. It will be one of the standard topside camo colours and it appears to run across the demarcation, so I would just go with fresh, i.e. dark and unfaded, EDSG.

• Like 1

Regarding the part of the Hellcat flap that is not visible when the flaps are retracted, I think would be in the surrounding uppersurface color- at least it looks that way for USN Hellcats. The flap coves would be finished in the surrounding undersurface color, which for an FAA Hellcat would be sky or sea blue, depending on variant. @Dana Bell or perhaps @Tailspin Turtle would be a better source, as they are the authorities on WW2 U.S. colors and USN aircraft. Regarding those painted patches/areas- it's a b&w photo, so very hard to determine for sure, but looks close in tone to the roundel blue to me.

Mike

I would suspect it's just fresh camo paint dabbed on with a brush to cover chipping/flaking paint at the panel edges and rivets. Just not weathered and faded.  As to the brighter "B", a freshly applied 'aircraft in squadron' letter (cleaner sky color), perhaps, although the photo's below suggest white …  (They also show just how grubby and faded the Hellcats got in the Pacific)

2527541926_bbc702fb04_o

5563260449_7cf7215962_o

Edited by Tail-Dragon
photo's added
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3