Badgers 1/72 Heller VAB

badger

Evening All

I've not been around the forum a great deal recently due to a load of stress at work which has effectively reduced my motivation for all things tiny tank to zero.

In an effort to cheer myself up a bit I had a slight diversion and built a hobbit hole diorama which was great fun.

Over the weekend I was tidying my workbench in the garage up and found a flyer for On Track 2020 model show in Folkstone. Idly mentioning this to Mrs Badger met with some enthusiasm and we've put it on the calendar to go.

I then got thinking that it would be nice to enter the competition as I used to enjoy these years ago when I belonged to a club.

Next up was to decide what to build. It needed to be:

1) 1/76 or 1/72

2) Unusual enough to attract attention as small vehicles tend to get a bit overlooked in competitions

3) A reasonably simple paint scheme

4) Have scope to add detail.

5) Be something I already owned

The initial thought was a Chieftain Bridgelayer as I have the Wee Friends kit but a quick perusal of the instructions later and I realised I'd never be able to build it in time as it's a stupendously detailed and complex kit.

Some late night stash mining brought this out:

2019-10-21_06-57-15

I bought this on a whim last summer and quickly regretted it as it's a very basic kit - all 39 parts of it!

I did pick up a variety of extras for it to make it more presentable and as I don't recollect ever having seen one built I decided to go for it. It will be finished as a gulf war version.

I've already binned over 20 of the parts to be replaced with etch, resin and scratch building.

More soon

All the best

Ben

• Like 2

Thanks Hewy. The support is much appreciated as there's a fair bit to do on this one.

At the start of tonight's session I had already spent several hours carving bits off the hull that will be replaced with etch. I carried on doing this and filled a huge hole left by the removal of an incorrect "blob" which will be replaced by something much more accurate later.

20191021_205258 20191021_205920

The resin wheels are a huge improvement over the kit ones and I managed to figure out how to attach them so they sit the right distance away from the hull (they're not really meant for this kit I don't think, as model miniature produce a resin vab as well)

2019-10-21_06-57-29 20191021_205324

At the end of the session I was able to finish by adding some of the etched screens to the hull roof which instantly lifted it and was a nice break from removing things!

2019-10-21_10-05-56

More soon

All the best

Ben

Edited by badger
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

Looks like you're  making a good job of that Ben. It'll be interesting to see how this pans out.

John.

1 hour ago, BIG X said:

Lovely to see you at the bench Ben - top work as always - I know it will turn out to be something special.

Steve

Cheers chaps. The support is always appreciated :like:

I've been quite enjoying it so far, although to be fair that has mostly been removing things.

A quick dry run seems to indicate the hull halves will fit ok but I need to add some basic interior detail as some will be seen.

I also need to convert a crew figure as all the ones I have are wearing tank helmets and VAB crew wore standard infantry helmets.

More soon

All the best 

Ben

Edited by badger
  • Like 3