D4Y 'Judy' Questions

dfqweofekwpeweiop4

I have a couple of Fujimi 1/72 Judys to make and would like to double check on a few things before building. I have the D4Y2 and D4Y4 versions.

First is the cockpit colours, the kits say Aotake all over and Silver for the instrument panel. My guess is that the floor and seats etc would be Grey Green, the instrument panel Black and the cockpit walls in Aotake. Any thoughts on this?

I've read that the D4Y4 was the single seat Kamikaze version that had a 800kg part recessed in the bomb bay. The kit however, looks exactly the same as the D4Y2 kit, except with a different nose section for the radial engine. Again any thoughts on this?  The bomb bay for example is just the standard one with the doors moulded closed and it has 2 seats, so I'm thinking it's more like the D4Y3.

thanks

Mike

Details of my 1/48 build might help answer your questions:

45662580481_8deee5e3e9_c.jpg

Different from my model the wheel wells may have been painted in the external grey colour but not in all cases. There are also a few differences between the in-line and radial engine versions beyond the engine itself, e.g. the position and type of the wing Hinomaru, width (chord-wise) of the yellow IFF stripes.

The D4Y4 was a D4Y3 with booster rockets behind the bomb bay to give extra speed for suicide attacks resp. to shorten the take-off-run with the 800 kg bomb. No second crew member aboard! (Francillon 1970)

Hope it helps, Michael

1 hour ago, Toryu said:

The cockpit is pictured in all detail, incl. colours!?

There is neither Aotake nor a silver instrument panel.

Could you please remove the quote in your reply so that my link disappears. Thanks.

I can see there is no Aotake but it doesn't say what the colours are.  I've no idea how to remove that sorry.

thanks

Mike

I see.

It‘s Japanese interior green. There are several shades in the market, called Nakajima and Mitsubishi interior green, e.g. from Colourcoats. To make it more interesting you could apply different shades but don’t take a too light, creamy green. Control boxes and instrument panel are a very dark green similar to the exterior Dark Black Green.

To remove the quote, edit your response, place the cursor under the quote and click ‘backspace‘ on the key board, then save.

😉

30 minutes ago, Toryu said:

I see.

It‘s Japanese interior green. There are several shades in the market, called Nakajima and Mitsubishi interior green, e.g. from Colourcoats. To make it more interesting you could apply different shades but don’t take a too light, creamy green. Control boxes and instrument panel are a very dark green similar to the exterior Dark Black Green.

To remove the quote, edit your response, place the cursor under the quote and click ‘backspace‘ on the key board, then save.

😉

Thanks.

I've got the Japanese paint sets from AK Interactive and Vallejo, so I can work out which of the two interior colours to use. The Fujimi kit's interior is very basic, so it's just getting a basic paint job.

Still puzzling over the D4Y4 kit, I still think it's really a D4Y3 kit.

thanks

Mike

I think so too. Which boxing do you have? Wikipedia (I know) has a silhouette of the rocket installation which is not in any of my examples.  What, incidentally was their purpose ? Did they function as JATO pods or were they to increase dive speed. (I've seen both explanations.) JATO appears more sensible to me. Also, what  is meant by " semi-recessed" for the 800 Kg. bomb ? Did they just leave the bomb bay doors off, or was the airframe altered? 

Mikesh, "Japanese Aircraft Interiors 1940 - 1945", p.226 on the Judy: "There are few original source examples from which to make accurate color determination...One might assume that interior colors would follow closely those of other Japanese Naval aircraft of this late-war period, of which color samples have been recorded." He does mention one (1) original Judy component, a throttle: "If one were to assume the green on this sub-component were close to the overall interior, this piece was a close visual match to Munsell 7.5GY 3/4 and A/N32. These are closer to the best Pantone sample which was 5747C, and which is not as yellow as the part examined."

Hope this helps, Richard

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, dalea said:

I think so too. Which boxing do you have? Wikipedia (I know) has a silhouette of the rocket installation which is not in any of my examples.  What, incidentally was their purpose ? Did they function as JATO pods or were they to increase dive speed. (I've seen both explanations.) JATO appears more sensible to me. Also, what  is meant by " semi-recessed" for the 800 Kg. bomb ? Did they just leave the bomb bay doors off, or was the airframe altered? 

There's no rockets in the pic on the box or rockets in the box. It's got a pic of a Judy flying over an Essex class carrier and has C-8 + also 35130 on the box end. There is no recess in the bomb bay on my kit, so I don't know if it's an external or internal thing - also the cockpit has 2 seats. It literally is the same kit as the D4Y2 but with different nose parts for the radial engine.

thanks

Mike

When there are no rockets and no recesses for them and for the bomb on the underside I would build it as a D4Y3 which is as you describe: A D4Y2 with radial engine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toryu said:

When there are no rockets and no recesses for them and for the bomb on the underside I would build it as a D4Y3 which is as you describe: A D4Y2 with radial engine.

That's what I was thinking, I actually wanted a D4Y3 anyway but I'm guessing at the time I bought it (many years ago) I didn't know the difference :)

thanks

Mike

4 minutes ago, TimTam27 said:

Hi.

From my understanding, the D4Y4 had a flat windscreen while the D4Y2 and D4Y3 had a "vee" type windscreen. If you get a flat windscreen in the kit then that will make building a D4Y3 difficult.

Thanks for that, it does indeed have a flat windscreen, like a fighter but none of the other differences appear to be present in the kit. The rest of the kit is still identical to the D4Y2, except for the engine.

thanks

Mike

14 minutes ago, TimTam27 said:

From my understanding, the D4Y4 had a flat windscreen while the D4Y2 and D4Y3 had a "vee" type windscreen. If you get a flat windscreen in the kit then that will make building a D4Y3 difficult.

You may consider using the flat windscreen on your in-line engine model for a D4Y1-C carrier reconnaisance plane. There is a nice colour drawing in FAOW 69. Then you have the pointed one left for the D4Y3.

I think TimTam27 has nailed it, Fujimi's D4Y-3's have a V-windscreen and a telescope-type sight through the windscreen (as do their D4Y-2's);their D4Y-4's have a flat windscreen with no sight(as do their D4Y-2S's). Will check through my stash later if needed.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Toryu said:

You may consider using the flat windscreen on your in-line engine model for a D4Y1-C carrier reconnaisance plane. There is a nice colour drawing in FAOW 69. Then you have the pointed one left for the D4Y3.

It might end up on fleabay, so I can buy proper D4Y3 kit!

thanks

Mike

I don't have any reliable information on the cockpit interior color of the D4Y Judy, but a restored D4Y2 in Yushukan museum has been painted with interior green.

0000260_3.jpg

A color cutaway in the Maru Mechanic also shows the cockpit interior in green.

0000259_3.jpg

Regarding the D4Y4, it is an upgraded version of the radial engined D4Y3. The D4Y4 differs from the D4Y3 in the following respects.

1. Introduced self-sealing fuel tanks.

2. Pilot is protected with a 5 mm thick front and 9 mm thick rear armor plates.

3. Introduced a flat bullet proof wind screen of 75 mm thickness.

4. Wing guns and a rear gun were deleted.

5. All wireless equipment except for a radio were deleted.

6. Bomb bay was modified with the bomb bay doors removed to load an No. 80, 800 Kg bomb The bomb bay opening was shaped to accommodate the bomb and lined with felts.

7. Installed with provisions for 5 Type 4 rocket boosters, 2 on under nose for takeoff assistance and 3 under rear fuselage for emergency escape.

8. A certain number of the single seaters were also produced, but the canopies were remained the same as those of the two seater.

Here's a comparison side views of Judy.

0000258_3.jpg

This is only photo of the D4Y4 I could find. Note the flat windscreen and modified bomb bay.

0000259.jpg

Here are a couple of photos showing the rear rocket boosters.

0000258.jpg

0000258_2.jpg

Fujimi provided an alternate canopy for the D4Y4 kit, but did not include a modified bomb bay or rocket boosters.

Hope this will solve your problems.

Jun in Tokyo

https://www.flickr.com/photos/horaburo/albums

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Junchan said:

Great information Jun!

AFAIK, however, no D4Y model had wing guns. Do you mean the forward fuselage guns?

Cheers, Michael

2 hours ago, Junchan said:

I don't have any reliable information on the cockpit interior color of the D4Y Judy, but a restored D4Y2 in Yushukan museum has been painted with interior green.

0000260_3.jpg

A color cutaway in the Maru Mechanic also shows the cockpit interior in green.

0000259_3.jpg

Regarding the D4Y4, it is an upgraded version of the radial engined D4Y3. The D4Y4 differs from the D4Y3 in the following respects.

1. Introduced self-sealing fuel tanks.

2. Pilot is protected with a 5 mm thick front and 9 mm thick rear armor plates.

3. Introduced a flat bullet proof wind screen of 75 mm thickness.

5. All wireless equipment except for a radio were deleted.

6. Bomb bay was modified with the bomb bay doors removed to load an No. 80, 800 Kg bomb The bomb bay opening was shaped to accommodate the bomb and lined with felts.

7. Installed with provisions for 5 Type 4 rocket boosters, 2 on under nose for takeoff assistance and 3 under rear fuselage for emergency escape.

8. A certain number of the single seaters were also produced, but the canopies were remained the same as those of the two seater.

Here's a comparison side views of Judy.

0000258_3.jpg

This is only photo of the D4Y4 I could find. Note the flat windscreen and modified bomb bay.

0000259.jpg

Here are a couple of photos showing the rear rocket boosters.

0000258.jpg

0000258_2.jpg

Fujimi provided an alternate canopy for the D4Y4 kit, but did not include a modified bomb bay or rocket boosters.

Hope this will solve your problems.

Jun in Tokyo

https://www.flickr.com/photos/horaburo/albums

Excellent! The Fujimi D4Y4 isn't that accurate then! It literally is the D4Y3 with the D4Y4 canopy!

thanks

Mike

10 hours ago, Toryu said:

Great information Jun!

AFAIK, however, no D4Y model had wing guns. Do you mean the forward fuselage guns?

Cheers, Michael

Thanks Michael, as you said no D4Y had wing guns. D4Y4 had 2 nose guns only and with the rear gun removed.