Tamiya 1/12 scale Martini Porsche 935 Build

Both Peter's and Ron's are instructional builds and Ron's should be revived and completed here.

My scruffy example's from 1989 and I don't remember but I might have lopped a coil off the front and rear shock units...a bad-boy habit I continued on many builds...:devil:

PA080.jpg

• Like 2

On 04/07/2020 at 08:47, silver911 said:

Hi Pete...here are the best examples of mine I could find to illustrate ride height for body.....

IMG-5183.jpg

IMG-5184.jpg

IMG-5185.jpg

IMG-5186.jpg

IMG-5187.jpg

IMG-5188.jpg

IMG-5189.jpg

Hope these help mate.

Ron

Thanks Ron, 

I've drop the front by about 7.5mm but I think the rears would require too much disassembly to lower further so will have to live with them. No easy access to top of shocks due to interior being fitted and engine in. Don't fancy messing with either of those at this stage. It does highlight how out the original Tamiya instructions were as I would have built these to plans....

Thanks again Ron, gonna check out your Mclaren now as I think I might do one of those next...

Pete

• 2 months later...

So bit more movement....I've been doing my best avoidance and refused to commit to finishing decals....

spacer.png  spacer.png

These will be fitted last so I can mask windows post decals....

spacer.png

And so further avoidance meant tidying under car wiring...don't beat me up too badly for this, once weathered they will blend a bit and will generally remain unseen below car....

spacer.png An after paint photo will follow, they aren't too bad. 

And so, on we go....bloody decals....horrendous side stripes...but they have to be attempted and here my lack of skill shows it's ugly head...again!!!

Still, at least I tried. New Spot On decals are beautiful but the luminous orange is very brittle and does not conform as well as blues, but it is a cracking colour. Any errors (and they are multiple), I will hope to cover with wear and tear and weathering. As its post race, they did have many rips, tears and blemishes. Even the paintwork in reality is atrocious with vinyl stickers rather than painted finishes. 

As I said...I tried and at least the build is getting nearer to completion. 

spacer.png  spacer.png  spacer.png

Edited by Peter Milgate
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/10/2020 at 20:58, Pouln said:

From this end, the model looks great.  Don’t beat yourself too much.

Yes, same from me. Decals especially big ones are allways something that scares me. 

Stunning model, light looks very good! Nice weathering on underside too. 👌

• Like 1

5 hours ago, alteregoni said:

Yes, same from me. Decals especially big ones are always something that scares me. 

Stunning model, light looks very good! Nice weathering on underside too. 👌

You lads are  building some really nice Porsches here. However, don't fear large decals. Just set up carefully, use moderately warm water and bring the backing as close to the model as possible before sliding off. These layed-down perfectly - in 1989 !

PA080038-E-Custom.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

So with the end in sight...and other things cooking...some subtle weathering was done (hamfistedly) to overall car to give endurance racing style look, grime, soot and oil deposits following close proximity racing...

I also came by some rust effects which I had never done before so just had to try out. I know this is not very realistic for a fairly well tended motor but I think the effect came out great. Very pleased...

spacer.png  spacer.png

On with the upper weathering, added some small details (electrics cut off, wiper blade and aerial)...

spacer.png     spacer.png             

spacer.png      spacer.png

Some close ups...sorry this so so picture heavy...

spacer.pngspacer.png spacer.png

spacer.png  spacer.png

spacer.png spacer.png

• Like 4

So for me, that's my Posrche 935 journey completed. A beautiful, drawn out experience, building a model with close memories of my father. 

I dread to think of the financial cost involved but it would be worth every penny. I would highly recommend the Tamiya kit(s) obviously, even at this age they are a great build. Use the Bestbalsa kits decals, the orange is glorious. If need be, treat yourself to the Reji Models seat belt kit as this has extras suchas a PE gurney flap and bonnet pins. Top Studio PE and turned connectors are lush, but expensive...you pay your money, you take your choice. Personally, I think they were worth the money, despite being hidden in the engine bay. I note the SMS detailing kit has been reissued/announced at £1200. Sweet but not necessary. I feel that route is for modellers with more money than sense. 

LED lights just add a further small detail, which I like. Some of these extras diverted me away from total 1:1 detailing but hey, its made for me. I regret this being underway before discovering this forum, but have plans for the next build. As you can tell, my time is precious and I can go many weeks before getting a chance to get back on the bench...so what next???

I had to get this done in time for my birthday...so I now have a choice (both already purchased and sitting on my bench.

I will be building the Tamiya Williams Renault FW14 - B in 1/12. I have the kit and have ordered (awaiting delivery) of every Top Studio upgrade kit for it...total cost: Kit was £150, detail sets etc was £263, I have purchased an airbrush and booth. My other option is the Jagermeister Porsche 934 by Tamiya, also in 1/12 with a ScaleLab 24 detail set...(£100/£224)

spacer.png  spacer.png

spacer.png spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Fin...til next time...

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the recognition folks. 

It's been a fun build, learnt a few things along the way and produced a nice car. 

What would I do differently?

Use canopy glue on all clear bits...

Stop and return when frustrated, rather than push on...

Don't mix paint types...

Ensure you build a particular version, rather than changing variants...

Be slow applying varnish...it can kill decals...

Just take your time and enjoy the process...it's meant to be fun!!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Peter Milgate said:

What would I do differently?

Use canopy glue on all clear bits...

Stop and return when frustrated, rather than push on...

Don't mix paint types...

Ensure you build a particular version, rather than changing variants...

Be slow applying varnish...it can kill decals...

Just take your time and enjoy the process...it's meant to be fun!!

I concur completely! 

The rule I break the most is the second.. I'm a stubborn git, and don't know when to take a break!

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

I have a question.....the fire suppression system in the cockpit....you have one already in the front bonnet area. Should there be two?

Looking at the SMS CD pic....it appears that they just relocated their system in the cockpit ...and the area in the bonnet is stuffed with lines and hoses.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Warboy said:

I have a question.....the fire suppression system in the cockpit....you have one already in the front bonnet area. Should there be two?

Looking at the SMS CD pic....it appears that they just relocated their system in the cockpit ...and the area in the bonnet is stuffed with lines and hoses.

Mine was done from references so assume it may have had two at some point, but mine is not a specific car, more what I liked the look of, so this could easily be from where it had been moved. 

Most of my references were from the detail CD.