Tamiya 1/12 scale Martini Porsche 935 Build

Hello all,

I started building this following getting it as a Christmas present about three years ago!!!

I had built the engine and chasis was started when we had a house fire and I lost the remaining kit parts including bodywork.

The engine was built using many Top Studio and other various scale parts (wiring, AN fittings, electrical connectors etc.} Whilst not as thorough as the SMS upgrade kit was am very pleased with my efforts. 

I purchased an additional kit from ebay to enable me to continue and complete the kit (I was too far emotionally invested by now!!) In my eagerness I failed to notice it was not the 2007 recent reissue but an original release.

This lead to the worse decals I've encountered. They were dried and cracked immediately into several parts upon contact with water. II persevered but was so disappointed with the results. I considered learning to airbrush and mask them, purchase a further kit but settled upon a set from Best Balskits, which upon arrival were incredible. This meant stripping the old decals and starting again, which is point I'm at now. 

Photos to follow once I've worked it out!!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/P1Gi2eXRuN4Pjr238

This is my first kit build in possible twenty years, I've included some work in progress pics but please be gentle with me!!

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy it. I shall update as regularly as I can, currently looking at getting working head/tail lights fitted, but yet to make final decision on that. 

spacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by Peter Milgate
trying to add pics
  • Like 2

That is a big one. Very impressive.

As for posting on here. Right click on your picture, copy image address, paste on here. Simples.

You may need to resize the pictures though if they are all as big as this one. They take too long to load.

ThBL-Lp-E5Veqy3S3Cpuu-rKtNZPjlU5TwNbiVy3

• Like 2

The Big Scale Tamiyas are interesting with respect to the number of re-issues. I've got 12003 Porsche 910, which was redone three times and ended up as 12041. The 934RSR has been re-issued now, including this year, three times and I'm expecting the latest version, 12055, "sometime soon". Most of the re-issue changes seem to be around introduction of PE parts. They're challenging beasts, but enjoyable - I think. The body moulds on 12003 are dated 1968!

• Like 1

Apologies for size of these pics, have adjusted camera for future shots....

Interior Cockpit?...

spacer.png spacer.pngk

This includes decals of switch labels from Bestbalsa kits decal set...have I mentioned I like them yet??

spacer.pngspacer.png

Handmade (at least i tried...) cockpit fire extinguisher, I have fitted roll cage fire system as well. Blue pipe is all correctly plumbed in to oil system, identified in SMS data CD which has lots of fantastic pics for this machine. spacer.png

Edited by Peter Milgate
  • Like 4

Next section, fuel tanks and oil system under bonnet?? Nose Section

spacer.png

Be gentle, it is still WIP....and I'm not very good....

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

Close up of washer bottle and fire extinguisher (bonnet)

Edited by Peter Milgate
  • Like 3

Bodywork with st stripes....I had to as I couldn't resist placing them on. A lot of work though removing the originals which were cracked and fractured. 

spacer.png   spacer.png

Dodgy original decals, too far gone for my talents to save...

spacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by Peter Milgate
  • Like 3

On 10/25/2019 at 2:43 PM, Peter Milgate said:

and I'm not very good....

I strongly beg to differ! This thing is worn, dirty, corroded and well used. Just the way it should be, and it looks fantastic.

You are doing a fabulous job. Please keep the pictures coming. Pete

• Haha 1

It was always my intention to make it weathered and used. It's rare to see clean endurance cars unless they are lining up on the start grid. 

The main thing about this build is I'm enjoying it immensely, even the frustrating parts. 

I also recognise some of my modelling limitations and impatience!!! 

Hope you enjoy its progress, pity I didn't think to do it from opening the box!!! 

• Like 1

Rookie mistake number #1007. Finished fitting out fuel tanks etc and moved onto completing cockpit interior BUT I glued in fuel cell before fitting steering column and linkage which led to several frustrating minutes of swearing and steam fiddling in recesses far too small for my fat fingers. I eventually gave up and removed some small items to give better access.

Fuel cell and under bonnet compartment now completed, enough extras under there to satisfy me....

spacer.pngspacer.png

All that remains under here is to weather the final fiberglass piece

I have added braided oil lines, extensive extra plumbing,added fuel filler overflows.Covered fuel cell with fiberglass and added hardware to fuel cell. Window washer has been electrified!!! Power cables to battery. Oil tank return line (from rear engine)  C kit fittings for Top Studio AN fittings, such as on fuel cell. Also added small electrical isolation switch on right wing. Then weathered it. I'm happy with the results.

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png    spacer.png

Edited by Peter Milgate
  • Like 2

Now clear to fit roll cage and tidy up interior cockpit...

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

Here the blue pipe is connecting the front mounted oil tank as per real vehicle with 1/12th scale zip ties (these were incredibly frustrating). Smaller silver pipework is for internal fire extinguisher which will be finalised tomorrow, I also need to add the gear knob (if I remember!!!)

The pipework in the rear connects the lateral oil/water coolers.

Be fitting bodywork soon....

Edited by Peter Milgate
pics probs...
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Kirk said:

All good now - and nice modelling. I always wondered where those lines ran. How did you find out?

I have a scale Motorsport reference cd. It contains lots of reference pics and a scan of the immense SMS upgrade kit gives you schematics for oil/water lines.  

Are you building one Kirk? I've tried to post some pics for comparison but haven't been able to as yet. Hopefully I'll figure it out. 

Google is a great reference tool as well!! 

"Making one" would be a stretch. I have been moving an 80% complete 934 around the country for about 30 years. When I started it, I had a daft notion to make a "street legal" version and did a god awful job of a gloss black paint job. Combined with some attempted detailing that was above my skill level, the inevitable result was a return to the box. Never thought it would be for this long though. Still love rear engines Porsches though.

Quick hour today, sorted photo-etched Gurney Flap and adjusting hardware today on rear wing...again used references for guidance. Gurney flap was unexpected extras with aftermarket seat belt set from Reji Models (purchased from Spot models. This was a good addition as it was bought for seat belts and contained PE bonnet latches and said Gurney Flap amongst other useful 935 bits. I was deliberating buying the separate Tamiya PE kit but this saved me £80+

Even pre-paint they look good. Unfortunately I dropped the sub assembly earlier and it broke off the very tips of the side plates, but I've learnt to live with this mistake!!! 

spacer.pngspacer.png