Post war Blenheim

fatalbert

After watching shelliecools lovely Blenheim build,its got me thinking about building one myself,I have an interest in wartime aircraft used in the post war period and i was wondering if anyone used the Blenheim postwar.i think the Fins did but not 100%.

Any info greatly appreciated 

Neil

Wikipedia says the Finns used them post war as you suggest:

"After the war, Finland was prohibited from flying bomber aircraft by the Paris Peace Treaty, with Finland's Blenheims being placed into storage in 1948. However, in 1951, five Blenheims were re-activated for use as target tugs, with the last flight of a Finnish Blenheim taking place on 20 May 1958"

So a Finnish target tug perhaps?

Mark

• Thanks 1

I like the look of that airframe Chris,the swastika type insignia, was that used postwar for a while or was it quickly replaced i wonder.I do like the dark green camouflage too,the target tugs seem to be silver.

Good evening fatalbert and all,

here is a link to a great collection of photos of the Finnish Air Force Blenheims, courtesy of the Air Force Museum at Tikkakoski: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1lHBNq2lBMt1j7bWrXaih1P1J8eKWhuLM

Both wartime and post-war era pictures. In war paint and aluminium overall. With swastikas and roundels.

Cheers,

Antti

Edited by Antti_K
added more detailed information
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Hi all,

A few words about post-war Finnish Blenheims. After the armistace to autumn 1948 they had the war-time equipment and wear light blue/dark green/black camouflage. When two first aircraft (BL-106 and BL-197) were repaired a few years later into multiengine and navigation training (BL-106) and mapping cameras (BL-197)  they were painted light grey bottom/dark green top, BL-106 as well as later repaired BL-173, BL-199 and BL-200 were painted overall silver dope.

All these liveries can be found in photos in Antti's link.

Cheers

AaCee,

• Like 2

While we're on the subject, I've got a vague memory of (way) earlier comments that there were some slight differences between Finnish-built and British Blenheims.  Possibly just to do with the cockpit.  Can anyone easily summarize, or point me to "the answer"?

BTW, after getting it Sunday, I finally had a look at the Airfix 1/48 sprues today.  My goodness!

Hello gingerbob and all,

if I remember correctly Finnish built Blenheims had medium gray interiors; not British style Interior Gray Green. There was also (at least) a plan for a survival equipment "pack" like skis for the crew. My grandfather's younger brother worked for Valtion Lentokonetehdas (State Aircraft Factory) during the war and he designed a camera system for Finnish Blenheims using German cameras for nadir photography.

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1

21 hours ago, gingerbob said:

While we're on the subject, I've got a vague memory of (way) earlier comments that there were some slight differences between Finnish-built and British Blenheims.  Possibly just to do with the cockpit. 

Hello everyone,

During the WInter War delivered series III (Mk IV) and series IV (Mk I) were in standard British equipment. In Series ! (first batch of Mk Is) and Finnish-built aircraft equipment were based on Finnish specification so the instrument panels and bomb bays were different than in RAF guise. Turret and wing armament were also different between serieses as well as radios and their antennaes. In fuselage sides and roof hatch in front of turret there were small windows added.  Also there were differences between different batches and also major overhauls might have changed the aircraft to later standard. Five last aircraft listed earlier had bomb equipment deleted and the bomb bays were closed.

Cheers,

AaCee

• Thanks 1