Spitfire V trop 1/72?

RidgeRunner

Hi all, 

I'm not sure why I did it but the decal sirens called me and I bought a set for Greek Spitfire V trops, or at least that what I think the big ugly chin thing makes it? So, with that said, what is the best kit for this, or combination if I do a kit bash? I plan a Spifire Vc trop with standard wing tips (i.e. not clipped).

Thanks a lot.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

If it's a Vc you want, then there's little option in 1/72: Sword is maybe better shapewise but it's been OOP for a few years, so finding one may not be easy. It was also a short-run kit, although a very good one.

The KP kit is currently in production and quite easily available. IIRC it suffers from a couple accuracy issues, but if this is not a deal-breaker than it's the easiest option.

If you want to do some crosskitting, then ideally the best result would come from a conversion of the Eduard Mk.IXc kit, replacing the whole engine section and then modifying the radiator arrangement.. plus a new propeller.

Starting from a Vb is of course possible but the problem is that most of these offer the early externally armoured windscreen only, while all Vc had the internally armoured type. The two are not interchangeable as the metal was different in shape where the windscreen meets the fuselage.

16 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Sword (which I've built) or the new KP kit (which I haven't) are said to be the most accurate right now.

Thanks mate. I'll look them up.

8 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

If it's a Vc you want, then there's little option in 1/72: Sword is maybe better shapewise but it's been OOP for a few years, so finding one may not be easy. It was also a short-run kit, although a very good one.

The KP kit is currently in production and quite easily available. IIRC it suffers from a couple accuracy issues, but if this is not a deal-breaker than it's the easiest option.

If you want to do some crosskitting, then ideally the best result would come from a conversion of the Eduard Mk.IXc kit, replacing the whole engine section and then modifying the radiator arrangement.. plus a new propeller.

Starting from a Vb is of course possible but the problem is that most of these offer the early externally armoured windscreen only, while all Vc had the internally armoured type. The two are not interchangeable as the metal was different in shape where the windscreen meets the fuselage.

Thanks Giorgio. I'll start seeking out a Sword and see how far I get. I have ppppplllleeeeenntttyyy of time ;)

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner