Harrier two-seaters

Two Seat Harriers

TAV-8B and Harrier T.2

Both of these were built in the early 1990s. Both are 1/72 scale.

The TAV-8B is the Italeri kit built to represent Bu No 162747 coded SD 626 of the  US Naval Air Test Centre which took part in the 1988 Farnborough show.

The RAF machine is the Heller / Humbrol 'Bobcat' kit with quite a few modifications to represent XW267 / T of 233 OCU based at Wittering in the early 1980s

IMG_3141

IMG_3143

IMG_3144

IMG_3146

IMG_3147

IMG_3148

IMG_3149

IMG_3151

IMG_3152

IMG_3153

Edited by CT Modeller
Corrected 237OCU to 233OCU
  • Like 31

Nice job on the Heller/Bobcat T2.  I had one on the shelf of doom for many years - after it had been photographed part-made for the cover of an accident report...   I never managed to get it to a good enough standard to want to finish it,  so very well done on yours.  

Regards

Tim

4 hours ago, CT Modeller said:

Two Seat Harriers

TAV-8B and Harrier T.2

Both of these were built in the early 1990s. Both are 1/72 scale.

The TAV-8B is the Italeri kit built to represent Bu No 162747 coded SD 626 of the  US Naval Air Test Centre which took part in the 1988 Farnborough show.

The RAF machine is the Heller / Humbrol 'Bobcat' kit with quite a few modifications to represent XW267 / T of 237 OCU based at Wittering in the early 1970s

IMG_3141

IMG_3143

IMG_3144

IMG_3146

IMG_3147

IMG_3148

IMG_3149

IMG_3151

IMG_3152

IMG_3153

Just a point,  With  a wraparound scheme and Laser nose I think you will find that  its a late 70 early 80's  scheme on the T2

Selwyn

11 hours ago, Selwyn said:

Just a point,  With  a wraparound scheme and Laser nose I think you will find that  its a late 70 early 80's  scheme on the T2

Selwyn

Thanks Selwyn - yes you are right of course. I seem to remember one of these on the line at VL in 1982 or so. Also corrected my OCU error - should be 233 OCU of course!

48 minutes ago, CT Modeller said:

Thanks Selwyn - yes you are right of course. I seem to remember one of these on the line at VL in 1982 or so. Also corrected my OCU error - should be 233 OCU of course!

I worked on 233 OCU line  79-81 and  worked on this jet on a daily basis.   To be absolutly accurate you should have the outboard pylons fitted,  we never configured the aircraft  with just the inboards. I would have liked to see it with the gunpods, but as an armourer I would be a bit biased on this! 

For harrier training the jet would have been initially fitted as lightweight (strakes and pylons),  and then  get progressively heavier as tanks would have been then added to the config, then empty gunpods, then guns and pods,  and then finally on to  some weapon sorties with CBLS and SNEB rockets.

A really nice build,  love the way you have captured the white seal around the canopy.

Selwyn

Edited by Selwyn

6 hours ago, Selwyn said:

I worked on 233 OCU line  79-81 and  worked on this jet on a daily basis.   To be absolutly accurate you should have the outboard pylons fitted,  we never configured the aircraft  with just the inboards. I would have liked to see it with the gunpods, but as an armourer I would be a bit biased on this! 

For harrier training the jet would have been initially fitted as lightweight (strakes and pylons),  and then  get progressively heavier as tanks would have been then added to the config, then empty gunpods, then guns and pods,  and then finally on to  some weapon sorties with CBLS and SNEB rockets.

A really nice build,  love the way you have captured the white seal around the canopy.

Selwyn

Thanks for that. Always good to get some first hand feedback! I will have a rumage around my Harrier spares to see if I can find some outboard pylons