Boeing 727-31C Trans World Airlines, early 1960s

Revell 1/144 727 kit with all surface detail sanded off and rescribed

Finish is Halfords Appliance White, AK Extreme Metal Polished Aluminium and various Xtracrylic greys

Decals from Classic-Airlines.com

This is the scheme in the early Airfix 727 kit and I think it's one of the most attractive 727 schemes.

Not entirely happy with the nose and nose gear areas on this one. I shortened the kit nose leg and fitted some smaller nosewheels which improved things.

IMG_3081

IMG_3087

IMG_3086

IMG_3085

IMG_3084

IMG_3080

IMG_3079

IMG_3078

• Like 54
  • Thanks 3

Very, very nice job on the old Airfix kit Chris, she still builds well and looks good. I agree it is one of the nicest schemes, which decals did you use? I have the 26-Decals 727-200 sheet for this scheme, but would like to get the -100 s well. I have a couple of boxings of the old Airfix kit with these decals, but at around 50 years old they are somewhat yellowed and need replacing.

Cheers

John

You've done a great job on this, having completed this kit in the recent 'germania' boxing scheme I know it's a bit of a pig in places but has a great shape if you put the work in sanding off the rivets etc and rescribing, filling in windows etc.

Gotta love those colourful 60's airline schemes, this ones a gem!

Rich

2 hours ago, Viking said:

Very, very nice job on the old Airfix kit Chris, she still builds well and looks good. I agree it is one of the nicest schemes, which decals did you use? I have the 26-Decals 727-200 sheet for this scheme, but would like to get the -100 s well. I have a couple of boxings of the old Airfix kit with these decals, but at around 50 years old they are somewhat yellowed and need replacing.

Cheers

John

Thanks John, but it is actually the Revell kit. Decals were from Classic-Airlines.com.

• Like 1

Quite a nice build, Chris. Such a fondness for the old 727-100, and you have done a fine job with a challenging kit. Good that you sanded off the fuselage details; seems the rivets and gaps would be GIANT if they were to a 1:1 scale. Scribing some of the details back on was wise, and paid off nicely. I really like the old twin globe TWA livery...its just plain "classy!" :laugh:

Hi Chris,

Well there have been loads of airliners here recently and I've nearly missed them all! Glad I caught this as it's gorgeous, such a classic livery and so nicely finished. Love the weathering on the tail and the thrust reversed grills are a nice detail touch.

I have to agree about the nose area on the Revell kit and I think you could've used even smaller wheels and shortened the nose gear leg a little more!

Anything else lined up for us?

Cheers,

Ian

On 10/26/2019 at 12:17 AM, Turbofan said:

Hi Chris,

Well there have been loads of airliners here recently and I've nearly missed them all! Glad I caught this as it's gorgeous, such a classic livery and so nicely finished. Love the weathering on the tail and the thrust reversed grills are a nice detail touch.

I have to agree about the nose area on the Revell kit and I think you could've used even smaller wheels and shortened the nose gear leg a little more!

Anything else lined up for us?

Cheers,

Ian

Thanks Ian. You are right about the nose gear and wheels. I had a look at the Revell 737 800 kit to get an idea of replacement wheel size, but I thought they looked too small - should have gone with that though. The overall nose shape just doesn’t look Boeing for some reason. It looks strangely like a TU154 in profile! Something to do with the slope of the windscreen I think. Anyway the next one will need a bit more work.

As for what’s up next - I’m tempted to say Tridents again but that’s such a long term project that something else is bound to turn up first in the airliner world. But before that, on with that new Airfix Buccaneer.

Hi Chris.

Congratulations on a fine classic build. 👍

For future reference, should you decide to do another narrow body Boeing, have a look at using the clear section from a Daco B737 kit.  These are available separately from Daco for a couple of quid each but they really improve the look of the nose area. He's usually at Telford if you're attending.

Have a look through some of the builds posted by John, (Viking), where he has used this method and you will see what I mean.

Looking forward to the next civvie job.

Chris.