Raleigh Chopper 1/12 scale diecast.

SeaVenom

Thanks for the heads up. I'll certainly be up for one of these. Never had a "proper" Raleigh Chopper myself, but did get an Italian made Chopper copy back in the late 70s. Used to strap my short wave/AM/MW/Police band radio to the back of the seat with the aerial up and pretend I was in CHiPs. Happy days! 

Steve

• Like 2

14 hours ago, fightersweep said:

Thanks for the heads up. I'll certainly be up for one of these. Never had a "proper" Raleigh Chopper myself, but did get an Italian made Chopper copy back in the late 70s. Used to strap my short wave/AM/MW/Police band radio to the back of the seat with the aerial up and pretend I was in CHiPs. Happy days! 

Steve

Nor me.   Plus I wanted a Panther which as far as I recall was a black version of the Chopper but I ended up with a Grifter instead.

On 10/21/2019 at 8:56 PM, John_W said:

I knew so many people braked hard and injured themselves on the gear lever....

One day I was cycling with a friend, we both had Raleigh Choppers. We were going along & as he went to change gear, the gear housing exploded & as there was a coiled spring for the gear return it sprang open into his thigh. Very dangerous design as it was just clipped in under a plastic cover.

I can still picture this spring in a perfect circle sitting in his leg.

I also tried wheelying one day and the clutz that I am ended up with a brake lever in my leg!

• Sad 2

14 hours ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

One day I was cycling with a friend, we both had Raleigh Choppers. We were going along & as he went to change gear, the gear housing exploded & as there was a coiled spring for the gear return it sprang open into his thigh. Very dangerous design as it was just clipped in under a plastic cover.

I can still picture this spring in a perfect circle sitting in his leg.

I also tried wheelying one day and the clutz that I am ended up with a brake lever in my leg!

Double ouch!!   Yeah health n' safety was pretty much non existent then.

On 21/10/2019 at 20:56, John_W said:

I knew so many people braked hard and injured themselves on the gear lever....

I remember that being my first thought when I saw one a friend had.  In this instance I am retrospectively glad my folks had a very dim view of spending actual money on bikes for me as a kid.  Boy did I make up for that later in life when I discovered mountain bikes though :bristow:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/21/2019 at 6:08 PM, Lightningboy2000 said:

Or a Chipper?  First bicycle I rode without stabilisers!

How about a Tomahawk even smaller frame!

Martin

Haha.  Me too.  It was my next door neighbour's.  I wasn't allowed to have a Chopper.  Too dangerous apparently.  I had a BSA racer instead.  Red with gold mudguards. 

• Like 1

On 10/21/2019 at 4:44 PM, Truro Model Builder said:

Can they do a Grifter next, please?

Certainly.  A 1/12th scale model of John Cusack, Angelica Huston or Annette Bening? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/23/2019 at 8:55 PM, Lightningboy2000 said:

Hope you checked the front wheel nuts were tight beforehand else you'd go over the handlebars as the forks hit terra firma catapulting you into a concrete lamp post right next to a very long queue at a bus stop!!  Ask me how I know, on second thoughts don't as the memory and the embarassment are still too painful!

4 hours ago, Fatcawthorne said:

Hope you checked the front wheel nuts were tight beforehand else you'd go over the handlebars as the forks hit terra firma catapulting you into a concrete lamp post right next to a very long queue at a bus stop!!  Ask me how I know, on second thoughts don't as the memory and the embarassment are still too painful!

It was a busy high street, there was a slow old lady cycling in front of me. I thought I would overtake her by wheelyiing up onto the pavement, when I wheely'd back from a high kerb onto the road in front of her my centre of gravity went over my back wheel, I went over on the floor in front of the old woman and found a brake lever embedded in my thigh. 

There I was & all she could say was " stupid sod!" & I staggered across the high street trailing blood & giblets into a sweet shop to see if they had a first aid box! 

• Haha 1