A Summer Where the Bad Light Stopped

Well, we got an offer, but it was absurdly low, and when we countered, the potential buyer discovered she couldn't get pre-approved for the mortgage (which you'd think they'dve check on earlier), so that was that. We'll see what develops.

As for the kits, I've managed to get a little done since we last spoke.

IMG_20191205_203815

As you can see, the one-two combo of my new Mr. Airbrush Procon Boy PS-289 0.3mm (what a mouthful!) and Colourcoats Sky Type S make for very smooth application. Imagine, however, my horror when I realized I'm down to half a tin of the stuff and both US suppliers are out with no sign of restocking any time soon. Ulp! I've emailed the US distributor to see what can be done. 

I also applied some PPP around the canopies of both kits. The Airfix molds were surely showing their age with the clear parts, as they had identical little divots in the lower framing where the canopies were very slightly short-shot, so hopefully this will sort things out

IMG_20191205_203820

IMG_20191205_203824

• Like 24

19 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Well, we got an offer, but it was absurdly low, and when we countered, the potential buyer discovered she couldn't get pre-approved for the mortgage (which you'd think they'dve check on earlier), so that was that. We'll see what develops.

That's just adding insult to injury, and yes, they should have checked. People so rarely think ahead, don't they? Gits.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, John Laidlaw said:

People so rarely think ahead, don't they? Gits.

Indeed. What fools they are, said the man who currently is failing to pack a lunch for tomorrow despite promising Mrs P that he wouldn't go out once at the office.

• Like 2
  • Haha 13

4 hours ago, John Laidlaw said:

So what are you getting?

4 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Pie and a pint was always my preferred option. But that's probably not easy where you are.....

In my immediate vicinity are:

Epic Burger (burger may not be epic)

Potbelly Sandwich "shoppe"

or

Xoco

I'm taking suggestions, but I need to make my decision in 45 minutes or so.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Since I know you've all been waiting with bated breath, I can divulge that my boss took me out for lunch at Jimmy John's, thereby obeying the letter, if not the spirit of Mrs P's enjoinder not to buy a lunch.

• Like 10
  • Haha 4

What an interesting thread this is turning out to beat so many different levels. The Spits look to be coming on well despite everything else going on.

With my brother we have recently gone through selling my mums house after she passed away earlier this year. Scottish probate and real property law is interestingly different from the law I learnt and briefly practised (although it was a long time ago. I understand a level of frustration with people who do not think through such a major undertaking. 

I am so glad that I am now well past the constant alert phase of child rearing as at 25 and 23 mine are expected to at least to pretend to be adults. About the worst my two did was when Joe, at about four, decided to paint some stones in the rockery with some pale blue emulsion paint as he thought the would look better. Fortunately I was able to stop him before he got too into it, although he did manage to get paint on his two year old sister. When MrsT arrived back after her visits (unlike Arkwright, I did get to marry my  Gladys Emmanuel!), suddenly the children stopped being ours and became hers. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

my boss took me out for lunch at Jimmy John's

Well done on squeaking through that loophole! I am ambivalent about Jimmy John's, having been, on several occasions, amazed at the speed of their delivery, but underwhelmed by the food itself... hope yours was good.

2 minutes ago, John Laidlaw said:

Well done on squeaking through that loophole! I am ambivalent about Jimmy John's, having been, on several occasions, amazed at the speed of their delivery, but underwhelmed by the food itself... hope yours was good.

It's really quite amazing how they can make a physical object that can be eaten safely(?), yet tastes like nothing, in almost no time at all. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

19 hours ago, Procopius said:

my new Mr. Airbrush Procon Boy PS-289 0.3mm (what a mouthful!) and Colourcoats Sky Type S make for very smooth application

When I read that this morning (post - gym coffee shop browse of my fav. BM threads), I immediately googled 'Mr. Airbrush Procon Boy PS-289 0.3mm' and almost bought one straight away (my airbrush is an Iwata Neo).  I'm not entirely sure what that says about me - save that it clearly implies I am very suggestible......

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Fritag said:

post - gym coffee shop browse of my fav. BM threads

Swoon!

So anyway, in the spirit of needlessly complicating this build, I began the process of masking and spraying the underside roundels tonight:

IMG_20191206_221850

Colourcoats RAF Wartime Roundel Blue, a colour so lovely it would almost be a crime to not use it. Lining the damned vinyl masks up is a tediously frustrating exercise, I might add. This should make the build take, bare minimum, three more days that it otherwise would, as I wait for each layer of the roundel to dry and then do the next one. And that's just for the underside. We could easily be adding a week to the time this will take by doing this. But I do it for you, my reading public. 

• Like 23

Nice :) 

A couple of tips if I may.

Put a strip of tape over the masks like this:

41736405865_ae54dda8cf_z.jpg

…and it helps keep the circles aligned. Hold down the bits you want on the model as you, carefully, peel the tape back then burnish down. Leave the tape stuck to the model dangling over the edge ready for the next set. I would like to say I do this all the time, but a browse through my photos show I normally take the lazy route and use transfers :( 

Secondly, use Jamie's thinned paint technique:

… and it'll be touch dry in minutes!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 6

I sprayed the whites of the roundels tonight; normally white is a pretty unpleasant colour to spray, I find, but I managed to recently secure a tin of Colourcoats V-Bomber White, and friends, it is magical.

IMG_20191208_001109

IMG_20191208_001104

Really well-behaved, excellent coverage, so far seems so good! Hopefully we'll have time to add the roundel red tomorrow. It's my dad's birthday party (my present for him is that I haven't written my memoirs), my mother-in-law is coming in, and we have an open house tomorrow again. We looked at houses today, and we found one we love, but it's quite a bit more than we'd like to pay; at worst, though, it gives us a list of what to look for. 

On 12/6/2019 at 5:13 PM, Fritag said:

When I read that this morning (post - gym coffee shop browse of my fav. BM threads), I immediately googled 'Mr. Airbrush Procon Boy PS-289 0.3mm' and almost bought one straight away (my airbrush is an Iwata Neo).  I'm not entirely sure what that says about me - save that it clearly implies I am very suggestible......

It occurs to me that this means I'm officially an Influencer, and I stand ready to be bought like an Ottoman bureaucrat should any brands be listening in. I have no dignity, no shame, and I'm going cheap! 

That said, I should thank Cookie for letting me know about the Procon Boy airbrushes, which are allegedly made by the same Japanese factory that makes the Iwata brushes, but whether or not that's true (and I have no frame of reference, because I've never used an Iwata), they're performing really well for me (especially since JD sent me a set of quick disconnects for them, which really do make a huge difference when swapping out brushes), and seem to be, if this makes any sense, "smoother" than my old Badger brushes. 

• Like 14
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Procopius said:

On 12/6/2019 at 11:13 PM, Fritag said:

It occurs to me that this means I'm officially an Influencer, and I stand ready to be bought like an Ottoman bureaucrat should any brands be listening in.  I have no dignity, no shame, and I'm going cheap! 

😂

Now I feel like I’ve let you down by not actually buying one.........

I do however, stand ready to write a glowing reference as to your success as an influencer should any brands be listening in.  I too have no dignity, shame etc and whilst not necessarily cheap am tremendous value for money......

• Haha 6

“I stand ready to be bought like an Ottoman bureaucrat...” made me laugh out loud.  The dog looked at me reproachfully for disturbing his Sunday afternoon nap.

Carry on.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Hi

Something that an RAF painter showed me when painting VC10s was to paint all of the markings first before painting the aircraft. This means that all of the paint ends up on the same level.

Whether they would have done this during the war I don't know but it was certainly something that I witnessed on post war aircraft.

John

I think we can rate this as a success:

IMG_20191208_182753

IMG_20191208_182812

IMG_20191208_182759

IMG_20191208_182803

I'll probably screw something else up later (unless telling Mrs P I didn't want to have a third child and making her cry -- she is a beautiful cryer -- counts, in which case I'm home free), but I feel very good about these right now. 

11 hours ago, Brizeman said:

Hi

Something that an RAF painter showed me when painting VC10s was to paint all of the markings first before painting the aircraft. This means that all of the paint ends up on the same level.

Whether they would have done this during the war I don't know but it was certainly something that I witnessed on post war aircraft.

John

I think the highly-trained aircraft painters of the RAF approach the matter with a little more professionalism than I do (at least, I hope they do), but my rationale for doing it this way is simple: it's much, much easier to do it this way rather than try to keep everything masked while spraying the main colours, some of which involve masking. Happily, the Colourcoats don't seem to have left me with any wedding-cake-esque layers.

• Like 28