A Summer Where the Bad Light Stopped

7 hours ago, Procopius said:

Upstairs, I could hear the crashing of unattended children, which meant that Mrs P had once again sent them down unattended so that she could sleep, a terrible idea that harsh reality has failed to disabuse her of. I finished with five minutes to spare, confiscated the kitchen shears from the boys on my way out, and am now safely on the train. 

At least the kitchen didn’t look like a bomb exploded in it this time... I suppose you take the little victories where you can get them?

Just now, RadMax8 said:

At least the kitchen didn’t look like a bomb exploded in it this time... I suppose you take the little victories where you can get them?

Honestly, as I was leaving anyway, a win either way for me! 

@Procopius Yes but this way you’ve got deniability if something were to happen... “Everything looked fine when I left, dear!”

Probably should have mentioned this earlier, but the painted markings look smashing on your planes. I may give that a shot on my next build, just to see how I like it. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RadMax8 said:

Probably should have mentioned this earlier, but the painted markings look smashing on your planes. I may give that a shot on my next build, just to see how I like it. 

If you're doing anything RAF-y, let me know, I might have some leftover masks I can shoot your way.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rob85 said:

its Pmask canopy and wheel mask for airfix b25c/d, it appears multicoloured in the eBay picture but don’t know if it is.

Noooooooooooo! Rob, I fear that's just a vinyl maaaaaaaaaaaask!

Just now, Cookenbacher said:

Glad you survived Christmas my friend. 

Those are some sweet looking roundels!

Wait until they're unmasked, a lot could've gone wrong under all the layers, there.

So I took a huge risk and sprayed the red tonight as well after waiting barely an hour. So, to recap, I've sprayed and masked three layers of Colourcoats in the past 24 hours, two of them in the past hour, and it's performed beautifully. I really have to thank @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies for showing it could be done recently with his three-day Fw190 build, but it's nice to be able to feel such confidence in a "slow-drying" paint like enamel. I'd be scared to do this with Gunze Aqueous!

The only issue I had was mask deformation, and I suspect strongly that getting Kabuki-tape masks from someone like Marketar might be my best bet for avoiding this in the future. 

IMG_20191230_201544

IMG_20191230_201549

However, on the other Spitfire, they came out jolly nice!

IMG_20191230_202134

IMG_20191230_202128

NB: I'm not too worried about the roundels, because close-up photos of them that I've seen don't always look 100% either. Cf:

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205225821

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205444930

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205199029

I realize these examples don't look as bad, but that's my story, I'm sticking to it, and attempts to contradict me will be met with withering sarcasm and cruel indifference. I'm in too deep to stop now.

• Like 14
  • Haha 4

BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE

I did the exhaust stacks with Alclad burnt exhaust (I think, lotta fumes):

IMG_20191230_221558

But decided to get cute and try to weather one of the Spits. As you know, Alclad clogs up a brush something fierce, and it blorted. It happens to lots of brushes. I quickly whipped out some paint and my .2mm Procon Boy and freehanded a correction that I think looks okay:

IMG_20191230_221547

I can live with it.

• Like 13

8 hours ago, Procopius said:

If you're doing anything RAF-y, let me know, I might have some leftover masks I can shoot your way.

Cheers, PC. Although I do have some planes with stiff upper lips in the stash, I fear you build in “The Gentleman’s scale” while I build in 1/48, which by all accounts is the scale of the heathens. Thanks for the offer. 

I painted the pipes on my P-51A Alclad’s “Exhaust Manifold” color, and I’m pretty satisfied. “Burnt Iron” like you’ve painted is a good choice also, for planes that maybe haven’t been used and abused for long periods of time. 

I’ve learned the lesson a couple times that Alclad truly sucks for anything weathering-related. 

13 minutes ago, RadMax8 said:

I’ve learned the lesson a couple times that Alclad truly sucks for anything weathering-related. 

So have I, but it seems I need to keep relearning it. 

13 minutes ago, RadMax8 said:

I build in 1/48, which by all accounts is the scale of the heathens.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Anyway, last updates for the night, I think:

I used a small scrap of sponge and some XXXXXXTREEEEEME Metal Matte Aluminium to do some chipping:

IMG_20191230_230432

And painted the props Night, since there've been complaints every time I used the infinitely pleasing Gunze Gloss Black for the spinners. After all, I do this for all of you.

IMG_20191230_230439

• Like 25

Could these be described as a 'nice rack' of spitfires or would that require more than two? Never quite sure about these odd colonial idioms.

Note to self, watch more Friends, they speak colonial

Box On

Strickers

• Haha 1