A Summer Where the Bad Light Stopped

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

I think we can rate this as a success:

IMG_20191208_182753

IMG_20191208_182812

IMG_20191208_182759

IMG_20191208_182803

I'll probably screw something else up later (unless telling Mrs P I didn't want to have a third child and making her cry -- she is a beautiful cryer -- counts, in which case I'm home free), but I feel very good about these right now. 

I think the highly-trained aircraft painters of the RAF approach the matter with a little more professionalism than I do (at least, I hope they do), but my rationale for doing it this way is simple: it's much, much easier to do it this way rather than try to keep everything masked while spraying the main colours, some of which involve masking. Happily, the Colourcoats don't seem to have left me with any wedding-cake-esque layers.

Success? Maybe. Smashing success? Definitely, or was that the sound of the tykes doing something they shouldn't be doing?

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

51 minutes ago, SoftScience said:

That is some superbly impressive masking work. I really need to get on board the masking trolley. 

Toot toot! I just used the Pmask set, which is super cheap on ebay, as it meets my need to solve modelling problems by spending money rather than learning anything new.

• Haha 10

Wow, what a catch up! As opposed to Ketchup, which is what I thought of first thing when I saw the state of your Kitchen and a small child close to a knife!. Have you ever seen Clint Eastwood in Heartbreak Ridge? He coined a phrase that I love .... "Cluster F**k", which I have to say could apply so aptly to the state of your kitchen at that point!

I completely missed this thread PC, but am now suitably up to date and very impressed with progress so far.

I built one of these a couple of years ago, one of my first builds after coming back to the hobby after a long long break. I liked this kit a lot. My effort was straight OOB:

20180207_235046

I'll maybe do an RFI on it soon.

Meanwhile, I'm watching with keen interest now!

Terry

• Like 5

Quick update tonight: I masked off the undersides and laid down the Dark Earth. I'm not sure what my schedule will look like for the rest of the week -- I have Win's conference tomorrow at his school, and then the work holiday party and the holiday after party (organized by my deputy), and then a doctor's appointment on Thursday, so there may not be a ton of progress for the rest of the week. Strange to think how close we are to the end of the year! Unlike last year, I'm eager to see what Airfix announce for 2020; my guess is that in 1/72 in addition to the Vulcan, we'll see a RAF Buccaneer and no more than two or three others. I'd love to see a Tempest, but don't expect I will.  

IMG_20191209_214656

• Like 21

Just now, Stew Dapple said:

Oh man, those upper cowling covers, so smooth, I always have trouble eliminating the join line on those... you're on a roll mate B) 

It's an obsession of mine that's slowly reaching the point of mania. It's just one of the most visible parts of the model, y'know? 

5 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

Good luck at the docs, if luck is needed :) 

Oh, no, it's just a psychiatrist. I complain, they share some bromides, my insurance pays them $250, and everyone feels like something's been done.

• Like 6
  • Haha 8

13 hours ago, Procopius said:

Toot toot! I just used the Pmask set, which is super cheap on ebay, as it meets my need to solve modelling problems by spending money rather than learning anything new.

Comfort zones are hard to leave PC. I was sitting in bed with my cat two nights ago, thinking of all the exact moments where I did something new. Eg gloss coating for decals, panel washes, A/M decals, dull coat, air brushing and decal setting solutions. Mind you, often it's easier to invest than diverse.

• Like 1

Those under wing roundels look exquisite, as does the rest of the paintwork. ..pukka job.

In the past, I haven't been tempted as I thought it was too much like hard work but the quality is so much better than decals, so maybe I'll try one day.

Stuart

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After a tolerable parent-teacher conference for Winston (the gist of which is that he is undisciplined, defiant, and emotionally needy, but also beloved by all his girl classmates and his teacher for his sweetness and his articulateness -- Mrs P helpfully explained to them that Win is profoundly gifted, and then unhelpfully added "and so wass Edward" and everyone in the room looked at me the way one might examine an unusually and possibly alarmingly large sea monkey undulating in its tank, which was maybe sort of true for a few years in junior high school when I skipped two grades, but like homecoming kings and college football stars, I peaked early), and the welcome news that the house we want to buy very much (which we've agreed to call The Disco Palace, since it was built in 1978 and retains all of its original fixtures) has dropped in price $15,000 and its property taxes are lower than feared, I managed to creep down into the grotto and watch two excellent episodes of Magnum PI and mask both Spitfires for the uppersurfaces camo.

IMG_20191210_202156

I used my standard go-to of Spitfire paper masks, one of the greatest free modelling resources out there, re-sized to 1/72. Unusually, one of the aircraft I'm doing has the "B" scheme, so I get to do two aircraft that are effectively mirror images of each other.

A quick spray with some Colourcoats, and...

IMG_20191210_210809

And then, time for my very favourite part of modelling, unmasking.

IMG_20191210_211508

One these dry, it'll be time for the upper surface markings. More chances for things to go wrong!

• Like 26