A Summer Where the Bad Light Stopped

Looking good PC. Nice job on the kit and to the young man on his Jingles landing.

If you ever get sick of tippy toe sanding around the tear drop shaped antenna base I recommend a 1/72 PE scribing template. I have the U Star one, though there are others. I'll replace the base using the right size template and some clear film taped to the bottom. I took my film from an old work folder. Takes care and can be tedious but it's a clean shape vs the feathered edges after sanding.. I've done it probably 10 times now.

spacer.png

Edited by Tempestwulf
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Procopius said:

Today Winston had his first solo in Il-2; he picked a P-47:

Good to see the younger generation being introduced to an expensive and niche hobby. Or two.

Can I ask which version of Il-2 you run? I'm a little out of the loop on it.

J.

Today Winston had his first solo in Il-2; he picked a P-47

Well done Winnie :clap:

…when he finally crashed, it was a graceful wheels-up landing. 

You should have fired a flare when he was on finals PC, standard procedure :D 

Fortunately, I have a hugely-expensive highly specialized tool of very limited utility for just such eventualities!

Good man, just the ticket! :D 

Ta daaaaaah!

49150111432_2158e0bb2e.jpg

IMG_20191130_223012 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Good job PC, that looks great :) 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, JasonC said:

Can I ask which version of Il-2 you run? I'm a little out of the loop on it.

I got the current version, Il-2: Battle of Stalingrad on Steam, where it's currently heavily discounted, and then once I'd created my account, got most of the rest of the games as add-ons direct from them, and they loaded to my Steam copy of the base game. I have all four of the currently out games in the series (Stalingrad, Moscow, Kuban, and Bodenplatte, which is the best because it has Spitfires, and I've pre-ordered Normandy, because come on).

Today was not a good day. At all. 

Grant was screaming all last night, so I got very little sleep, and most of that on the couch. I wasn't too worried, because we were having a showing today and I'd cleaned for much of yesterday, and so there wasn't too much to do before we left the house. Since I was so bushed, I stupidly went upstairs to get some more rest in our bedroom, and Mrs P (who was apparently having a good dream) and I rested in bed despite the increasingly ominous silence from downstairs. Every parent knows better than to do this, and some of them are even smart enough to not have to find out first hand why you don't. 

Mrs P heard some banging from downstairs that sounded like the kids had gotten into maybe the pots and pans, which obviously we didn't want, since we had a showing today. She went downstairs, and then a few moments later, I heard her yell, in a high, strained, unfamiliar voice, "COME SEE WHAT YOUR CHILDREN HAVE DONE!" As soon as they're my children, I know it's trouble. Our kids are cute, sweet, full of love. My children are the devil's handmaidens.

And indeed, their true father, Satan, was working through the boys this morning. This is what greeted my eyes when I came downstairs:

IMG_20191201_085933

IMG_20191201_090045

Gentle reader, if a Yeti had been making tender love to the Loch Ness Monster on my kitchen table, I would not have been more shocked. Additionally, Winston was bleeding, having cut his hand on one of the many knives he'd liberated from the knife block, the better to cut open the bags of flour with. A second later, my phone buzzed: our showing was in two hours. 

I don't remember precisely a lot of what happened in the next two hours. I yelled at Winston so loudly that he wet his pants, which quite frankly was the least of both my problems and his, since at this point he and his brother were about one wrong word away from a pair of shallow graves in the backyard. After Winston's injury (mercifully minor, and we know how lucky we were on that front) was cleaned and inspected, he and his brother were confined to quarters, with a bit more yelling from me just in case they were thinking about any funny business. 

I'm not a yeller by nature, but I inherited my father's volcanic and terrifying temper, and I've spent my entire life trying to keep it under control; I've succeeded, too, because if I were my dad, the boys would be dead now, because I'm pretty sure being spanked until your buttocks fall off is fatal, but it turns out that when you're small, largely defenceless, and dependent upon much larger people to take care of you, having one fly off the handle and scream at you at the top of their lungs is plenty horrifying and confusing enough to reduce you into a paralytic state of submission. (Mrs P, meanwhile, is all for cancelling Christmas, but I'm keeping the X-Wing we bought for Winston if we do, it looks cool as hell.) 

Clemenceau famously remarked at the start of the Great War that "To die is nothing. We must win. And for that we need all men's power. The weakest will have his share of glory. There come times, in the live of peoples, when there passes over them a tempest of heroic action", and indeed, that's what happened with Mrs P and I. I know Mrs P is the target of a certain amount of derision in my posts here, and indeed, there are some days when I wonder if I haven't married her as a public service to single men seeking redheads the world over, but in a true crisis, unfolding around her in real time, she is exceptional, and the two of us sprang into action. I've never felt more part of a team in my life as we methodically cleaned the entire ground floor of our house. It took us almost exactly one hour and fifty minutes, and when we left, the kitchen looked like this:

IMG_20191201_105030

We then dragged our lightly traumatized children off to get groceries while our house was shown. 

That's been my day. I feel like an empty bag of skin with all of the more important bits removed, and I'm just going to flop over onto my keyboard and sleep now.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 12

Sorry PC, but I did laugh out loud when I saw the first pic and the little angel looking so proud at what he'd done - then I saw the knife..... Good Lord.... :shocked:. Could have been so much worse.

Glad you got it all cleaned up in time, hope it resulted in a succesful showing!

Keith

6 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Sorry PC, but I did laugh out loud when I saw the first pic

That's... a relief. I did too.

While I'm aware that even single-celled algae can manage to reproduce, I am quite often glad that I never did, especially upon seeing Mr PC's posts like this'un. Glad the lads are both OK, and that you managed to clean up the house. Hang in there boyo, apparently they're worth it!

2 hours ago, Putty Animal said:

That strap lying on the table...

Yes, I seen that as well, won't mention what I thought it could have been employed for...

One thing that I did learn from parenting is that children need the same amount of supervision as Hannibal Lecter. You are clearly on the path to the same enlightenment.

Heroic efforts on the cleanup though. Mrs. P is a keeper...

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I can just imagine the buttock kicking I would have gotten if I had done something like that as a child. Back then, you could still legally beat your children. I never really was beaten as a child, but there were plenty of backside warmings. I was a bit slow catching on to things like that, as a young'un. Still a bit slow as a senior citizen.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

How is it you can post that four letter word for bum, but I can't? How did you get the privilege?

Chris

Dick Bong

Edit: Sorry. Just checking to see if I could. 

Edited by Putty Animal

26 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

How is it you can post that four letter word for bum, but I can't? How did you get the privilege?

Chris

Oh, I don't know, never noticed before. Wonder if I do have privilege's? I'd best not abuse them 😜

• Haha 1

Edward,

This has to be one of the most humorous post I have seen..you and your boys, have topped yourselves....I even had to show the wife this one...thank you for sharing this one...

and the quote "COME SEE WHAT YOUR CHILDREN HAVE DONE!"...absolutely one of the most spine chilling quotes one is to ever hear fro their spouse.

Take care!

Don

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, CedB said:

Carnage! Little darlings…

Glad the teamwork got it sorted PC and it bodes well for the viewing - fingers crossed here :) 

Well, they're coming back today for a second showing, so hopefully...

Also, who sent me a RAF side cap? It arrived at my office today. Was it one of you? Fess up!

78332669_2820243811333746_7314905135648342016_o

• Like 13
  • Haha 6