FROG Comet Airliner

A FROG Comet was one of my contributions to the Classic FROG Group Build that ends this evening. 

A joy from start to finish. The build came out of the blue, with a quite amazing offer from Cliff who donated the kit to anyone who fancied having a crack at it. I caught my jaw before it hit the ground and replied before my next breath!

The build was as smooth as silk. Not too many parts in the first place, the usual early FROG excellent fit and a straightforward out the box assembly made for a completely hassle free build. The BOAC scheme is so nice it is almost impossible to get it wrong. A beautiful cheatline, very smart blue and white paintwork and all that lovely polished metal just want to make you go the extra mile on the thing. 

The metalwork would have stalled a bit as my weapon of choice for this sort of finish is the long gone S 'n J polishing powder. I was just about out of my ever diminishing stocks when rescue came from a very kind offer from Charlie, who sent me a near full bottle of the magic powder. Thanks Charlie, you and Cliff were stars here.

I made a simple base out of card, sprayed with auto primer misted on and a basic grid ruled off in fine marker to give me a hardstanding.

Yet another helping hand, Mike Dean in this case, turned up the Matchbox Commer van for me. A strip down and refinish in generic BOAC colours got me a bit of ground support equipment to sit alongside the plane. An internet purchase of a bag of 1.100 scale figures got me a pair of pilots to add a bit of life to the scene.

I think pictures taken in a coal cellar would have come out fine with this build, the thing just loves the camera! Those polished wings catch the eye regardless of light source or exposure.

Enough of the rambling, here's the finished model...

IMG-9877.jpg

IMG_9916.jpg

IMG_9849.jpg

IMG-9866.jpg

IMG_9859.jpg

IMG-9861.jpg

The build thread is here...

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 67
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Viking said:

Beautiful work, I think that is the first Frog Comet I've seen made.

Cheers

John

The unbuilt kit is a thing of beauty. I got a bit carried away during the Group Build and bought this near mint kit to display alongside the built one. I collect as well as build, so this is the best of all worlds to me.

Tony.

IMG-9472.jpg

• Like 2

Anyone raving about the quality of Zvesda's airliners should take a look at your photos.  What an incredibly stunning model from a mould from when?  1958-ish?  Magic.

• Like 1

What Martain said. 

I don't think I've ever seen a better polished metal finish on a plastic kit in over five decades of modelling. 

I really like the way you've displayed it on the base. 

Excellent, excellent, excellent. 

• Like 1

Absolutely stunning replica - fabulous metallic finish. Brought back childhood memories as my first flight was from Bombay to Colombo in a BOAC Comet 4 as a lad in 1961. I spent the trip glued to the window watching the towns and villages drift by outside. Lovely job.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JWM said:

Looks great, maybe even too shiny on wings...But I do not complain for that.

What scale it is? 1/96?

Cheers

J-W

It is 1.96 scale.

I don't think you can get the wings shiny enough!!

BOAC-Comet.jpg

canuk-comet.jpg

• Like 2