Stirling LJ514 EX B Beer query

cherisy

Hi

I've recently  acquired  the DK decals 100 group sheet and am looking to re work the venerable Airfix kit into  LJ514 EX B Beer as per the decal option. A query which I'm hoping someone  ? with a copy of the Stirling file may be able to clear up. Did LJ514 follow 199 from Lakenheath in May 44 or is this a mistake on the decal sheet?. The Streetly 100 group book muddies  the water by saying that all its standard stirlings were left behind then gives 514 as one of the Mandel aircraft. The photos  I have seen of the aircraft with the bear artwork are dated late 43. So all very confusing.

Hi 

air brit stirling file gives

LJ514  199  SOC 2.5.45 

nothing else 

but under 199Sqn it states

.....  squadron .......  converted  to halifax in march 1945

so sort of adds up to it staying with the squadron 

cheers

jerry 

Edited by brewerjerry
clearer explanation
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, brewerjerry said:

Hi 

air brit stirling file gives

LJ514  199  SOC 2.5.45 

nothing else 

but under 199Sqn it states

.....  squadron .......  converted  to halifax in march 1945

so sort of adds up to it staying with the squadron 

cheers

jerry 

Thanks Jerry. Pretty much confirmed  what I suspected. I'll  go with it staying with 199 throughout. 

I have the 199Sqdn history "Let Tyrants Tremble" by John Reid. It shows LJ514 in service with 199 Sqdn 03 May 44 to 24 Feb 45.  The Stirling Story by Michael Bowyer shows LJ514 with 10 MU 15.12.43 to 199 Sqdn 5.5.44 to 6MU 24.2.45  Struck off charge 4.5.45 Most likely flown into Woburn Park and scrapped there. I can confirm it was a Mandrel fitted aircraft on 199 Squadron.

Edited by T-21
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, T-21 said:

I have the 199Sqdn history "Let Tyrants Tremble" by John Reid. It shows LJ514 in service with 199 Sqdn 03 May 44 to 24 Feb 45.  The Stirling Story by Michael Bowyer shows LJ514 with 10 MU 15.12.43 to 199 Sqdn 5.5.44 to 6MU 24.2.45  Struck off charge 4.5.45 Most likely flown into Woburn Park and scrapped there. I can confirm it was a Mandrel fitted aircraft on 199 Squadron.

Brilliant.  Many thanks that nails it for me.😀

8 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

How does one recognize  Mandrel on a Stirling ??

I seem to think it was a single aerial sticking out of the fuselage somewhere  . . .

Pretty much. It was a numer of aerials protruding from the bottom fuselage and bomb bay about the size of spitfire radio masts 

• Thanks 1