Airfix nostalgia builds.

8 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

For young builds though, it's the little ships that spring to my mind. 

Santa Maria, Shannon, I think there was a Great Western, and many of them were waterline models stuck on a rectangular sea, which could be fixed to the wall. 

Painting the sea with humbrol Tins.... That was a bit of a challenge!! 

I remember aged about 10 building all of them - had them in their natural shocking white arranged on the mantlepiece

• Like 1

Morning folks,If I think I've got her as neat as possible so after matching the lemon shade of yellow to the decals for the top

of the tail she's glossed for decalling.I've painted the canopy but not fitted it in place.Viking is nearly ready for glossing and

the fitting of the engines.

20191207_103607

• Like 11

9 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

The shape of these machines on the deck in a haze of catapult steam is fantastic. 

True Rob,I love the drama of deck operations especially the cat launches,certainly you look at the Tomcat and think only the yank's

would put something as big on a carrier but I cut plastic on the Vigilante a few days ago,now that is a big bird!

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Your Tomcat is looking very sharp!

Regards,

Adrian

Many thanks Adrian I got the main decals on this morning really coming together now.

20191208_120415

• Like 11

Morning folk's, decal time for the Viking and glad to report they've been issue free despite their age.I can fit the windows and put the interior

back in ready for the canopy which I'm busy tinting,Tomcat only needs it's weapons fitting and a few touches here and there.I had a mass

spraying session yesterday on the interiors of the Vigilante, Skyray and Corsair.

IMG-20191212-WA0000

• Like 13

Morning folk's, nearly there with the Viking and Tomcat next job is to tint the Viking's canopy a few decals to go then matt coating busy painting

the weaponry for both.

20191219_105952

• Like 7

On 08/12/2019 at 03:36, rob Lyttle said:

Looks FAST already!

Yes, impossibly fast for me! 😜

On 08/12/2019 at 03:36, rob Lyttle said:

This is a drawing I made years ago.

Excellent drawing, you’re very talented, Rob! 👏

Fantastic progress on the kits, Steve! The Viking and the Tomcat looks brilliant, I like how these decals changed the excellent-builded planes to a superb-looking planes. Top notch, as always! 👍

• Like 1

On 06/12/2019 at 00:03, stevej60 said:

I remember getting a boxed collection one Christmas about half a dozen bagged kits with paint brushes and paints in small glass

tubes,the kits I can remember were ME109G,Spitfire Mkix, Stuka and Hurricane all bagged with paper headers.On the subject of Spitfires

I was deleting some Flickr photo's and found the Spitfire VB I did for one of last years Blitzbuild.

20190825_170126

And also the old Vertol kit for the STGB last year.

20190321_111750

You wouldn’t happen to have kept the paint instructions for the Sea Knight at all? Am currently horse trading to get a kit in a different scheme and fancy another go at the splinter camo now that the mental scars from my Viggen have faded

On 21/12/2019 at 20:35, LostCosmonauts said:

You wouldn’t happen to have kept the paint instructions for the Sea Knight at all?

Hi Alistair sorry I didn't keep the paint instructions for the Sea Knight.On the subject of Airfix oldies thanks to Andy (bungled) an exchange with one of

Airfix's newer products got me this blast from the past.

20191223_164908

• Like 12

2 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Hi Alistair sorry I didn't keep the paint instructions for the Sea Knight.On the subject of Airfix oldies thanks to Andy (bungled) an exchange with one of

Airfix's newer products got me this blast from the past.

20191223_164908

I really like the look of this; you may begin!

Impatient of Mars 👽

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I really like the look of this; you may begin!

I'm looking forward to it Martian there's a fair bit of warping which I think is what defeated me when I was a kid building it.

14 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

If you want my opinion, you should get that box top framed up behind glass. 

Good idea Rob I have a few boxes pinned to the wall and box tops in clip frames in the loft.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, stevej60 said:

20191223_164908

That the one with the rotatable turrets everywhere? 
It looks so awfully familiar - if true, it needs quite a bit of lead up front to prevent tailsitting.

Haha, great! Looking forward to seeing it in one piece. 

Back in those beige days, my parents owned a pet shop, so what I used as weights were those little lead clothes pegs you snapped around the green bits in your fishtank.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Evening folk's repaired the viking after the damage caused by the falling compressor and giving the gull gray/white builds a rest for a while,I have a

terrible fail rate of multi engine bombers since becoming a member so before attempting the Superfortress I 'm having a crack at the 1970's Dambuster

kit and thoroughly enjoying the experience.1978 tool Stuka is for the STGB ongoing now

20200126_211419

• Like 4