Airfix nostalgia builds.

Morning folk's off for a couple of days so hope to find a bit of bench time,out of the timescale of my original half dozen kit's I want to

re-visit comes  a 1980 boxing of the F-18 Hornet which I have never built or even seen before coming along when the modelling

interest had waned,picked up for a decent eight quid.Not wanting to abandon King Kit to E-bay as a long time customer I ordered the Skyray 

and A7 Corsair last week and fingers crossed a fifth attempt at getting a Vigilante is tantalisingly close which would fulfill the original kit list.

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 2

I've just built the Airfix Corsair but as an A-7D, using a spare part from the Matchbox kit to provide the USAF pattern refuelling receptacle that Airfix forgot to include. It's a nice kit. I'm in the fortunate position of having a box full of Vietnam-era USAF and USN kits that I acquired 20 - 25 years ago when I was buying far more than I built. This month's SAM article on the 432nd TRW has inspired me to dig some of them out. 

• Like 1

Damn it.2 mins to go and out bid on the vigilante.never mind went to 20 quid not 

Prepared to go above that without seeing the box contents.ooh theres a Sea king popped up now.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, rob Lyttle said:

@stevej60 the adrenaline junkie!! 🤩

Probably the wrong one to go for Rob,let's face it if you want a 1.72 Vigilante you would go trumpeter this one was new so maybe an airfix collector got it.

Hi folk's,after scouring the LMS shelves I settled on Lifecolour Gull Gray,tried it in the Skyraider after applying the white and masking

the relevent surfaces,needs another coat tomorrow but look's right to me,the Tomcat and Viking are at the Gray stage too!

20191113_114404

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Harry_the_Spider said:

I really, really wish that you hadn't mentioned King Kit as I was previously unaware of it.

#YourBasketContains3Items

Slippery slope Harry!

25 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Loving this thread. I have just caught up. I picked up the Viking from Ludlow food festival of all places a few years ago. I’m interested to see how she turns out. 
I’ll tag along if that’s ok?

Johnny. 😇

Welcome aboard Johnny.

• Like 1

I more or less remember tackling all of those kits in their day. Mainly because there wasn’t any internet and whatever the local  newsagents had was what you built, still living the nostalgia. 

loving the builds so far.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marklo said:

loving the builds so far.

Thanks Marklo,Skyraider looks on course to be the first finished I was lucky that @Pete in Lincs and @Alex Gordon both send sets as I had 

to use bits of each to get this far so thanks again guys,I placed the NK a touch too low so couldn't get the serial right under but I'm sure I

did some blunders back the first time I built it which incidentally I remember well,summer of 1976 built on the coffee table while the Olympic

games were on and we had the then unknown Phenomenon of late night telly!

IMG-20191114-WA0000

• Like 10

Morning folk's well sadly my airbrush has packed in so progress painting wise has all but stopped,on a happier note the Vigilante

arrived,I gave up bidding as I was determined to go no higher than £20 and they were hitting £30+ on E-bay so this was a king kit

buy at just under twenty and I'm glad as the all important decals are mint condition.I had not held out much chance of adding the

Sea King to this collection as again prices for the original "66" boxing are silly but I managed a good looking boxing for under £15

and in the photos the decals look good.

IMG-20191115-WA0000

• Like 5

I really enjoyed the challenge of my Vigilante as the upper and lower seams were a trip hazzard. Make sure that you post a picture of the instrument panel too!

It'll be well worth it in the end though.

• Like 1

Hi folk's,lack of paint has stalled the U.S,Navy builds so plodding on with the two needing a silver finish,after primer I found a tin

of Tamiya polished aluminium in the shed so three light sprays and it looks fine,they need a gloss coat next before decalling, I

have a few choices U.S.,Italian,German for the Sabre  French for the Thunderstreak all spurious though robbing the spares box.

20191117_194246

• Like 7

This is a great thread. It takes me back to a much simpler time, just basic kits, cleanly finished. More power to your scalpel Sir!

Martian 👽

• Like 5