Airfix nostalgia builds.

These are a wonderful series of builds...so simple, without all of the hullabaloo we seem to saddle our work benches with.  Builds that I dreamed of as a child.  Ah...I wax poetic.  Nice looking models you have there.  Love the Italian Thunderstreak!

• Like 2

On 27/11/2019 at 14:23, Marklo said:

To be honest, all the local newsagents sold Airfix and matchbox and it tended to be down to how much I could spend and what they had. Some kits were held in awe such as the Handley page O/400 and the Airfix black widow, too pricey and complex for the likes of me. And some were bought and built because they were all that was there (matchbox Siskin anybody ?) . I wouldn’t have gone for more guns and turrets as such but definitely tried not to get civil kits or ones not in camo.

Matchbox Siskin.       First holiday romance aged about 13 brought a rather bubbly, chatty attractive girl back to our cottage my mum had moved my Siskin that I'd just about finished onto a chair and this girl sat on it.......   My dad thought it was hysterical.....

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Hairtrigger said:

Matchbox Siskin.       First holiday romance aged about 13 brought a rather bubbly, chatty attractive girl back to our cottage my mum had moved my Siskin that I'd just about finished onto a chair and this girl sat on it.......   My dad thought it was hysterical.....

Matchbox kits were a revelation when they appeared the Red Arrows Gnat was my first build,I've still got a Siskin somewhere although

only built about four years ago.

• Like 1

Wow Steve, I've just done this thread from page 2,  it's got to be one of the best running just now. Funnily enough, I've been happier buying older more basic kits lately myself, After seeing your efforts here, I'm even more so inclined to do so. :) I will try to keep up from now on. :( 

Steve.

• Like 3

Was thinking if my newsagent sold kits then realised my me262 Bristol fighter and the typhoon were all pressure purchased by my dad along with a 2p bassets liquorice stick and some Jurassic park cards! Enjoying this thread and tempted to get some nostalgia kits to build such as the airfix spit mk 1

• Like 3

Awesome builds steve. Its genuinely refreshing to see kits built this purely! They came out really great so far.

But I hope you still intend to join us for the group build after all these retro gems.

(- and anyone else inspired by steves thread actually including you @Wince - I’m taking this opportunity for a blatant shameful advertising plug here...)   :wicked:😁

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Dansk said:

Awesome builds steve. Its genuinely refreshing to see kits built this purely! They came out really great so far.

But I hope you still intend to join us for the group build after all these retro gems.

(- and anyone else inspired by steves thread actually including you @Wince - I’m taking this opportunity for a blatant shameful advertising plug here...)   :wicked:😁

I would need to find either an airfix fw290d or the old typhoon but would be up for this! 

10 hours ago, Dansk said:

Oh I'll be there Dansk one of the advantages of age is the hundreds of kits o choose from but I'm thinning the choice to memorable

times like Birthdays,holiday's etc Airfix's HMS Victory is way out ahead so far.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Nice Skyraider, remember though there is no future in dropping models. Ask how I found this out!

The Wise Martian 👽

Dare I ask Martin or will the memories be too painful? I've lost a good few heart and soul builds on the tiled floor of the kitchen.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Dare I ask Martin or will the memories be too painful? I've lost a good few heart and soul builds on the tiled floor of the kitchen.

I dropped my SH-34 a week before Telford a couple of years ago after a three year build, leading to a humungous panic to get it repaired in time.

Martian👽

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, stevej60 said:

Oh I'll be there Dansk one of the advantages of age is the hundreds of kits o choose from but I'm thinning the choice to memorable

times like Birthdays,holiday's etc Airfix's HMS Victory is way out ahead so far.

Good to hear Steve, looking forward to hear your story with the chosen kit / kits, it's gonna be fun.

ooohhh a ship could be there - great!

• Like 1

Time for an update of the last few days work,nearly there paint wise for the Tomcat a couple more coats on the nose and the black

on the fuselage around the cockpit next,just sprayed the first couple of coats on the Viking but I'm finding the Lifecolour paint a bit

gritty so tomorrow I'll give it a light pass with wet'n dry and a top coat with the brush.

20191204_113540

• Like 8

34 minutes ago, Dansk said:

Good to hear Steve, looking forward to hear your story with the chosen kit / kits, it's gonna be fun.

ooohhh a ship could be there - great!

This was going to be 1st choice Dansk but couldn't resist a start.I built her when I was around fourteen and I always remember Dad taking

an interest as he'd been taken to see her on a visit back to the Tyne which must have been late 1920's or early 30's.

20191204_104634

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Ruskin Air Services said:

Steve60, you're building my childhood years!

That's a very large part of the charm of this thread for me.

Martian 👽

• Like 2

You're taking some keeping up with here Steve. ;) The Tomcat & Viking are coming on nicely, & we're to be treated to a Mauretania? Woo Hoo on that. :) I've taken another look at your Skyraider on a decent sized screen too, a real beauty. Kit decals? They look wonderfully clean & sharp, it's a great scheme, "The Swordsmen" from memory  :unsure: But, whatever, one I'll be happy to replicate with mine sometime.

Steve.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

You're taking some keeping up with here Steve. ;) The Tomcat & Viking are coming on nicely, & we're to be treated to a Mauretania? Woo Hoo on that. :) I've taken another look at your Skyraider on a decent sized screen too, a real beauty. Kit decals? They look wonderfully clean & sharp, it's a great scheme, "The Swordsmen" from memory  :unsure: But, whatever, one I'll be happy to replicate with mine sometime.

Steve.

Glad you're enjoying the thread Steve,I don't plan to really get started on Mauritania till after Christmas I also have Ark Royal so maybe

a maritime nostalgia thread,yes kit decals for the Skyraider.

20 minutes ago, Ratch said:

Dazzle camo Steve :wicked:

Not a chance Ratch,not got the patience!

• Like 1

On 12/4/2019 at 10:17 AM, stevej60 said:

O M G, HMS Victory! I can still remember painting all those little gun carriages sand yellow, dry brushing (a wonderfully exotic technique) Humbrol gold enamel on the stern carvings, gluing on all the (open) gun port doors and rigging her with black sewing thread. That and the 1/24 P51 were my pride and joy. Looking back, I'm amazed I had the confidence to take models like that on. But I suppose I was young, it was fun and the only person you had to please was yourself. Happy days!

• Like 5

I liked the Endeavour, and I had another go at it as a "grown-up". Still not particularly successful, but great fun for a challenge. 

If you remember the big mat of ratline rigging sections, then you will notice it's all deleted and you get a plastic frame that is rigged with thread as per the instructions, and painted with pva. 

And it works!! 

For young builds though, it's the little ships that spring to my mind. 

Santa Maria, Shannon, I think there was a Great Western, and many of them were waterline models stuck on a rectangular sea, which could be fixed to the wall. 

Painting the sea with humbrol Tins.... That was a bit of a challenge!! 

• Like 2

I remember getting a boxed collection one Christmas about half a dozen bagged kits with paint brushes and paints in small glass

tubes,the kits I can remember were ME109G,Spitfire Mkix, Stuka and Hurricane all bagged with paper headers.On the subject of Spitfires

I was deleting some Flickr photo's and found the Spitfire VB I did for one of last years Blitzbuild.

20190825_170126

And also the old Vertol kit for the STGB last year.

20190321_111750

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

When I think of old-time, nostalgic builds, I think of not-so-great camouflages, very basic cockpits, gluey fingerprints, not-so-straight landing gear, decals out of place. Oh, wait, that's the models I build now.

Regards,

Jason

P.S. That's a nice-looking Spitfire, and I love that Vertol!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4