Airfix nostalgia builds.

Morning folks,last kit in the collection arrived,looks as good as this molding gets and decals look good.

20191119_104611

Still plodding along with the two cheapies for less than eight quid I wasn't worried about having to give them spurious scheme's

but I've tried to mimic original Italian and German styles of markings.

20191119_104453

• Like 9

On 11/11/2019 at 6:12 PM, rob Lyttle said:

I don't envy you trying to make something of the little Skyray kit. So good luck with your efforts to breathe some life into that. 

The other 2 look like some fun 

The Airfix kit is actually rather nice with good fit. It is the Testor kit that has to be avoided. I have them all, and the Tamiya kit as well.

http://www.ipmsstockholm.se/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10831&sid=f1b9b8fc49fe5067cb60f1380ec254ee&start=10

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Morning folks,last kit in the collection arrived,looks as good as this molding gets and decals look good.

20191119_104611

Still plodding along with the two cheapies for less than eight quid I wasn't worried about having to give them spurious scheme's

but I've tried to mimic original Italian and German styles of markings.

20191119_104453

Wow, you did well with that Seaking.. 

Normally go for daft price. 

Great kit remember doing it back in the day. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Hairtrigger said:

Wow, you did well with that Seaking.. 

Normally go for daft price. 

Great kit remember doing it back in the day. 

Steve that picture of the Sea king made me want one my wife bidded on one after telling her about it on evilbay and won it for £15 type 4 box...   Grrr got it as a stocking filler so have to wait till Christmas.. 😁 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Morning folks,nearly there with the Skyraider just a matt coat to apply after a touch up here and there on the cowling number etc.

The Tomcat and Viking are under the first coats of gray at the moment hope to finish the painting tonight.

20191126_111332

• Like 14

1 hour ago, Marklo said:

Looks very good to me, just goes sometimes oob can still be pretty good.

Thank's Marklo.I got the Sabre finished in a spurious Luftwaffe scheme today.

20191126_133905

• Like 9

As a 14 year old kid, I got a saturday job in the LMS in Rugby - a place called JOTOs (JOhn and TOny, the owners). Apparently my pathetic face stuck to the window and my hours of deliberation about what I could afford, had struck a note of sympathy. Days when new stock arrived, I worked unpaid overtime - just so that I could see what was coming in! This would have been 1981 - 1986 time, Airfix were still the big name but Tamiya (expensive) and Hasegawa (err, yes, also expensive) had some great unusual choices. Trying to decide how to stack boxes.... by brand, by era, by cost..?? I got staff discount and still had no money left! These nostalgia builds have certainly raised a smile, love the thread, thanks a lot chap!

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, isaneng said:

These nostalgia builds have certainly raised a smile, love the thread, thanks a lot chap!

Many thank's I hoped they would jog a few memories,I used to stand for hours trying to make up my mind which one to buy

with my pocket/paper round money so much the shop owner gave my two boxes of Airfix 1/32 polythene figures to paint

and display in the window!

• Like 2

Please tell me, as a younger child, I wasn't the only one who wanted kits because they had more turrets/propellers/guns/looked 'funny' than any real interest in modelling or aircraft?

Airfix BV141, hella-cool, or the Blenheim 'cos it's got 2 turrets (kind of) and 2 engines? JU88 - no real turrets, but love the cockpit 'beetle' glazing, or Mosquito as I just watched 633 Squadron on the telly..??

• Like 4

Afternoon folks.I've had to go old school with the Tomcat too much of a pain to mask for airbrushing so the old flat hairy stick

was needed still a fair bit to do for the proposed scheme.

20191127_111636

• Like 5

To be honest, all the local newsagents sold Airfix and matchbox and it tended to be down to how much I could spend and what they had. Some kits were held in awe such as the Handley page O/400 and the Airfix black widow, too pricey and complex for the likes of me. And some were bought and built because they were all that was there (matchbox Siskin anybody ?) . I wouldn’t have gone for more guns and turrets as such but definitely tried not to get civil kits or ones not in camo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marklo said:

because they were all that was there (matchbox Siskin anybody ?) .

😊I know what you mean, but it turns out that the Matchbox biplanes are the cream of the crop! 

They were designed and engineered to be for the "grown-up modeller", whereas the Spitfires and 109s were going to end up in a spud-gun battle zone. 

Along with a boxful of Afrikacorp, and maybe a bunch of camel-riding Bedouins!! 

Boy, how cool were they?? 

• Like 2

Ah yes those were the days, I think my toy dinosaurs and collection of Britons knights might have been involved too ( actually I think they may still be in my dads, hmm)

And of course the irony of it is that I would much rather the Siskin over a Spitfire nowadays :) (although I did buy one this week, 1/48 bubble top griffin engine, I’d pay good money for a 1/48 Siskin)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Afternoon folks.I've had to go old school with the Tomcat too much of a pain to mask for airbrushing so the old flat hairy stick

was needed still a fair bit to do for the proposed scheme.

20191127_111636

Really like theses , like so many they really take me back. looks like your kits have faired better than the Tucano I'm working on ….

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Morning folk's got the Thunderstreak finished today,not my finest moment in plastic but for pennies off E-bay good fun.

Great job, Steve! 👍 You’re showing us how good these kits are and how to build them top-notch.

• Like 1