Airfix nostalgia builds.

Morning folk's here's the Skyraider sprues, as an early release the moldings are very nice without flash and what detail Airfix were able to

add all those years ago very sharp.

20191027_100550

The Phantom I must have remembered through rose tinted glasses it's a lot more basic than I thought but for the purpose of this

collection not an issue.Both sets of decals are probably shot I would really like to use originals and e-bay does seem to have them

a plenty so I'll see when the time comes.

20191027_101434

I'm away next week so this progress  will be all I get done for now, cockpits painted and as much detail as needed added,harness

never featured in my seventies build's!

20191027_105141

• Like 10

Sadly the Phantom is a bit blobby, even when the moulds were new.

Those cockpits look good! The base kits look a lot better than the ‘toom.

FWIW I used Xtracrylics 1137 light gull grey on my Phantom because my Humbrol 129 had turned to jelly.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

On 26/10/2019 at 13:12, AdrianMF said:

Nice selection! I've done the Phantom:

IMG-7180.jpg 

and my daughter and I did the old A-4 yonks ago when she was a nipper (and before I was on the forum).

... And there's always the F-111B, which would be a bit of a conversion from the Airfix one... :wicked:

Regards,

Adrian

That's very nice Adrian I have these markings for a 48TH Tribute Build that I must get on with

Edited by Paulaero
Spelling
  • Thanks 1

Some real blasts from the past there and remember building some in my 'golden age of modelling' in the eighties (no kids, no taking work home and some spare cash) for Branch displays etc. Washes etc are still something I cannot get excited about. It takes me enough time to finish models. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, stevej60 said:

,I can never seem to find a 

manufacturers gray I'm happy with

For what it's worth, I think the pursuit of the ultimate grey represents the road to madness! 

Like black and white, the essence of grey is colourless-Ness. Really all it has is tone, and that's affected bigtime by surface, and the surrounding colour field. 

Also the character of the light you're seeing the grey with.

Trying to make a foot-long model under electric lights look like a 30ton airframe on a sun-drenched pacific flightdeck is indeed a tall order!! 

And the longer you look at it, the worse the tricks that are played on your eyes. 

So I'm saying, don't worry about it. 

Even if you sourced the perfect match to a dupont colour chip, there's still plenty of opportunities for it to look wrong on the model in front of you. 

(...... I've really done it now, haven't I...!) 😇

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rob Lyttle said:

For what it's worth, I think the pursuit of the ultimate grey represents the road to madness! 

You are quite right Rob,here's my Monogram Skyraider done a few years ago done in Tamiya Sky Gray looking back it doesn't

seem too bad.

DSC01182

• Like 10

Afternoon folks,progress on the first two builds in this collection,Tomcat ready now for assembly then primer.

20191102_161841

Viking slightly ahead just a clean up and a little filler before painting.Another cheeky bid got me Airfix's F-86D for just over

a fiver.

20191102_162030

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 7

On 28/10/2019 at 16:34, DaveWilko said:

One notices that one is mainly using the old Airfix kits for one's collection,but what about the Hasegawa(?)S2F Tracker?

One seems to remember that was a "full colour" markings model too.

Just Airfix Dave at the time where I lived I'd never seen a Hasegawa kit!

• Like 1

Just now, GREG DESTEC said:

Good luck with the Tomcat Steve.

I made  a pigs eat of mine when I came to join the fuselage halves.

It's a bit tricky with the moving wing assembly. 

Cheers  Greg.

Thanks Greg I have tried a few dry runs it is tricky!

• Like 1

Afternoon folks,plodding on with this project apart from the kits mentioned a couple have come my way for a fiver this kit came with

no decals of use but I can cobble something together to represent an Italian machine,from the same era and another fiver there's an

F-84 on it's way again decal-less but I can find something to adorn it.1975 is the stamp on the sabre and this is the boxing I built way back

bought at the local hardware store.

20191105_110120

• Like 11

31 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

F-84 on it's way

Is that the straight-winged, bubble-top earlier version?? 

Republic did a swept wing "development" that was basically a new aircraft, but to keep the politicians happy they described it as improvement and called it an F84F 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

Is that the straight-winged, bubble-top earlier version?? 

Republic did a swept wing "development" that was basically a new aircraft, but to keep the politicians happy they described it as improvement and called it an F84F 

Airfix only did the F-84F, but it was a decent little kit with a nice cockpit, fine raised surface detailing, generally good fit of major components, a reasonably deep intake duct and jet pipe and good choice of markings.  For my money the only let-downs were a lack of undercarriage well detail and poor fit of the inset lower wing panels.  If someone was to chuck one in my direction now I’d quite happily sit and build it.

• Like 3

Afternoon folk's.The Tomcat is progressing with the rest I'm not bothering with the swing wing movement so fixed in place I,ve

cut the small canards forward of the main wings so they can be added later.the joins cleaned up nicely just a little filler along the

horizontal line under the cockpit.

20191107_141047

• Like 5

You're not hanging around then....!! 

Quite a benchful you've got going on. Just so you know, I've started a little project on the side - 

IMG_20191105_222649

Scalemates has it listed at 1967, but there's ©1964 engraved on the plastic wing inside...... This boxing is a bit later. 

To be honest I was surprised at how few Airfix kits I have in the pile 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

Scalemates has it listed at 1967, but there's ©1964 engraved on the plastic wing inside...... This boxing is a bit later. 

Love this kit Rob,another one I built around the late sixties.

4 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Love this kit Rob,another one I built around the late sixties.

me to, this was my older brother's favourite kit back then (late 60's) I think mine was the Grumman Goose, we only knew about Airfix other kits were far too expensive back then

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, shortCummins said:

Airfix other kits were far too expensive back then

True John ,I remember a trip into the model shop in Newcastle and paying what seemed a fortune for a Douglas Skywarrior( I think

Hasegawa but certainly my first Japanese kit) and being badgered by the bloke to buy a fancy book on the subject which being to

quiet kid I was then I bought for the same price as the bleedin' kit!

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Ah, what a great kits, Steve! 🙂 Nice progress on the Viking, it would be very interesting to see it painted...

Many thank's Nikolay,should get some pint on over the next few days!

• Like 2