Airfix nostalgia builds.

Hi Folk's,the Frog GB  has reminded me how much fun it is not worrying about washes,detailing and all the other things we now tend to have

these days in our modelling lives .Unlike frog which rarely featured in my youth Airfix was the staple of those days and in the last couple of

years before other interests took me away from the hobby around 1976/77 my love was US  Naval aviation and those hi-viz schemes worn.

So wishing to re-visit some of those kit's over the next few months I hope to tackle the

Tomcat,Viking,Corsair,Skyraider and Vigilante all hopefully in original boxing's with the much loved white plastic,I have the Tomcat en route

and today thanks to Alistair(lost Cosmonauts) I now have a cracking Viking in my possession.So thats the plan any nostalgic memories or

anecdotes along the way would be welcome.Here's kit number one.

IMG-20191020-WA0000

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 23

Hi folks,kit number two arrived my first E-bay purchase for a tenner! Decals as expected not the best but now on the window sill 

might get a bit sun on them to bleach off the yellow.Thought I'd secured a Vigilante but with ten minutes to go two bidders doubled

what was already a hefty bid I think I was probably up against collectors on that one.

20191022_101439

• Like 13

These are the Airfix kits I remember, especially the style of the box art on that Viking, my youth was classic Airfix and classic Tamiya. And I agree that modelling was much simpler, all my modelling kit fitted into an old shoe box, now I've got a shed!

• Like 2

The shape of at least some vintage Airfix kits is more accurate than those from competitors. For example, unlike every other AD Skyraider—at least in 1/72— the vertical fin is properly angled to the left (but the canopy is too small) and the S-3 has the proper shape of the engine nacelles (not round like Hasegawa’s).

• Like 1

Hi folk's,number three now on it's way Airfix Phantom picked up for £12 on E-bay the boxing with the Israeli scheme included,I've a bid in on 

a Skyraider looking good so that leaves the Corsair which seems plentiful and the Vigilante which is more elusive at a reasonable price it

seems the Collector's are buying them which is pushing prices up.Might be time to make a start.Breaking news.......won the Skyraider

for £8 so four down two to go!

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 3

This looks like a fun little Personal Build (as opposed to a GB).  In my youth, it was dictated to me that anything flown before 1945 was "not really flying", so, alas, I never built and jets until I came to you fellows.  Have fun Steve!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, spaddad said:

Hi Stevie, no A-4?

Hi Dave,I remember building it from a bagged kit a few years earlier than this bunch which I built 76/77 I have a similar period Hasegawa

A4 in the stash,I'd forgotten about the Skyray though!

4 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

This looks like a fun little Personal Build (as opposed to a GB).  In my youth, it was dictated to me that anything flown before 1945 was "not really flying", so, alas, I never built and jets until I came to you fellows.  Have fun Steve!

Thank's John,the idea is all OOB no weathering etc just built the way they used to be with the exception of an airbrush which I never

owned back then.

I'm going through a similar phase myself. So far I've built an Italeri Phantom, Airfix Vigilante, Hasegawa A8 and Italeri Tomcat. I've got an Italaeri F18, Revell A7 and Hasegawa Tomcat in the stash.

Wouldn't mind an S3 too, but the pile of unbuilt kits is getting a bit silly.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Harry_the_Spider said:

I'm going through a similar phase myself. So far I've built an Italeri Phantom, Airfix Vigilante, Hasegawa A8 and Italeri Tomcat. I've got an Italaeri F18, Revell A7 and Hasegawa Tomcat in the stash.

Wouldn't mind an S3 too, but the pile of unbuilt kits is getting a bit silly.

Vigilante is high on the wanted list Harry,I might expand the group to a Crusader too!

Not my thing as such, although I’ve probably built all of the above in my time( expect maybe the vigilante )but I love the sentiment. This why I’m building an hp 0/400 and have a swordfish and a Heracles coming soon.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

This lot is going to be a blast, for sure. 

And a great frame of mind for building them. 

I was going to suggest an A6 Intruder for the set, but I don't think Airfix ever did one?. Although they did produce the 4seater Prowler version.

Anyway you've got plenty to be getting on with 

Don't you just love Kit-shopping for £8.??

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

😊

Shall we all just pile in and do a group build here, Steve....... 🤭!?? 

All contributions gladly accepted Rob

If it gets old kits built!

• Like 1

Nice selection! I've done the Phantom:

IMG-7180.jpg 

and my daughter and I did the old A-4 yonks ago when she was a nipper (and before I was on the forum).

... And there's always the F-111B, which would be a bit of a conversion from the Airfix one... :wicked:

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 6

Thanks for those excellent build photo,the Skyraider and Phantom arrived yesterday I'll pop a photo up later,I can never seem to find a 

manufacturers gray I'm happy with what do you both suggest?

• Like 1