Showcase Day, Duxford October 2019

Alpha Delta 210

Hello all

I had a very enjoyable time at Duxford today for the last Showcase Day of 2019. Effectively a mini air show in two segments with normal admission prices.

GZFpUbqQbafED4HcKzzU6O3Z0URFZrZmCntYsBdF

fo-jkwacM4-hd6GzoxecfSV-SmhseSjPMJ4OREBj

JhQW1VUljhmhzzdUPzj0FAFV78W-bAKP_a3N2de0

5JDnvTZsxqlJXl1k9BiFNFCLR9fWJScXRrbntdeP

IH_29rK7btqJ0pGtPN3ENxvOQyT9l9pa1DDvc9s8

MUGhtsT7QlAWks8OnmPH5Q7tdYd-OO5tDOSTrwK9

FrWUQ7fS4WD0I2ASs-JqqTvxWgy2zvdTGrMIFhhi

YKuqTkH4qrk5xD-Hb8eja3WgAa8CPVcbM--Xo85y

btnF2VV2vhMAf-GStRYkMTlirO6S694t_yjvvlS1

8_b191znTZG1IMfxrIyQifjyJ11DzdMigamMDbL8

FuQplFNVBf2gTv-nJl8tSWnuL1uNngdHFDgPg7-C

G2HORLT0a920nQy75BZmaxd3yZAuPTaa5RB9R9bD

9-HWUVE7guhHIbTLdxtAXHuywZtKtK_x06klQuQI

Sa9UIvEh6lIJ2RGZcTHAp5ZDh_RT1Ey2UTrelocP

vQdIIdiQi-zlCbm6kS77iB2-Xe6Z1cQ9t1sdSO5m

93DFl7iLfWSOFvzSP7zYQ001X1i9yV60jUxk8eOs

wANjZ-v7qdPQEbLeh2fz0IUpwS9AyT37SX9CnTKO

zTeNfKUCTKMHdtqN0JuNcy29Km-bWD5kSWjk8z9l

rDcUK_epHJPve0HFu-F0ih0zFD5VJmLSytmPosQa

g26KL1lSMoOEHJnG7Kq7osiODuaWpGlDWTI-JIL7

KHVEvNchzRMKw5Znq5gZ_Kf90fdJWboUdA2Z74sj

QhpFKlHNIJNnu6MARlcfD8D7U-Q2J0tzQhh46Al7

I_-i_zH-dwOSED1muhAvKV4DYJpevNp3_56HY7eM

6sFwHYWc4S75nUR-AT3HX5A2hv3mH_uOS2jN-ZT3

ObJUAy2275ewADcLb0YL1FamH6RnUOLc2JfxPTYK

kBlrpZJBP9q1qMRsHf5axwumqPCxXYRpgbwvvd4C

FGqhrjUzvmIY9jU_ORge0GgJr1XA_SKEgl8JE11A

PprIU_kuBuRf_jIUIO54gDCRxERGMXifohItwg8W

qa4R0eHCc8i997Ej--kCpSIsvrmBazw6tkfqkWHw

-JncYOX1XPpu3TcQ_UFIv1fK7s_a7HFDZZZBAPjm

Lwlki73OX7eVuFU7NfUD77EcjtX1LAZlC2rIVcCt

nW7CsEA-jMSE419_mCEu7nNaxDhskwbk8YlUJAJH

Thanks for looking.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Incredible photography and gorgeous aircraft! Having a hard time deciding which are my favorites. Thank you for taking the time to post these for the rest of us- especially those of us who are on the wrong side of the pond!

Mike

• Like 1

Great pics and thanks for sharing. 

I had no idea that they ran these days even though I have iwm premium membership. Will definitely keep an eye out for them next year.

James

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Incredible photography and gorgeous aircraft! Having a hard time deciding which are my favorites. Thank you for taking the time to post these for the rest of us- especially those of us who are on the wrong side of the pond!

Mike

Hi Mike. Thank you very much for your kind words. I think my favourite is the Lysander taking off with the (rare) sunlight reflecting off the underside. 

49 minutes ago, Paul J said:

Thats weird I can only see one image . All the others are links with a flickering grey background to each.

Hmm. I'm not sure what is causing that, Paul.

12 minutes ago, franky boy said:

Great pics and thanks for sharing. 

I had no idea that they ran these days even though I have iwm premium membership. Will definitely keep an eye out for them next year.

James

Hi James. Thanks for the words of appreciation!

I'm a Premium Member as well, and I think the IWM marketing people missed a trick by not emailing members to publicise the event.

The Showcase Day was free for members, and the other member's bonus was parking on the airfield in front of AirSpace. 

I hope they plan more events like this for 2020.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Latinbear said:

Very nice images and a nice show(case) too. Bit of a grey day but then that's probably better than a blue sky day bearing in mind you're looking into the sun!

Thanks for the kind words, Latinbear. I assume you have experience of shooting into the sun at Duxford?😎

16 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Thank you A D 210, brilliant photos, bright sunshine would have caused reflections and cast deep shadows, so as long as it's not raining, win, win.

I'm really pleased that you enjoyed my pictures, Retired Bob. I agree with your comments about the sun, and find that grey days can yield some nice images (with a little help from some software, of course!)😉

2 hours ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

I'm really pleased that you enjoyed my pictures, Retired Bob. I agree with your comments about the sun, and find that grey days can yield some nice images (with a little help from some software, of course!)😉

Hi A D 210, yes, I always found that an overcast sky, while not making an impressive blue sky background, produced a nice diffused picture without the harsh shadows.  My airshow picture taking was done with 35mm film, no help from software, just some add on filters. :whistle:

2 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Hi A D 210, yes, I always found that an overcast sky, while not making an impressive blue sky background, produced a nice diffused picture without the harsh shadows.  My airshow picture taking was done with 35mm film, no help from software, just some add on filters. :whistle:

I grew up with 35mm and lens filters as well, Bob! I spent many happy (and some not so happy hours!) with my Dad in his darkroom. 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

I grew up with 35mm and lens filters as well, Bob! I spent many happy (and some not so happy hours!) with my Dad in his darkroom. 😉

I did some B&W developing, but colour film was sent off for developing and printing.  Happy days with a couple of cameras, various lenses and filters, I just have thousands of negatives that I want to get round to digitalising and getting onto my computer. :hmmm:

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

I did some B&W developing, but colour film was sent off for developing and printing.  Happy days with a couple of cameras, various lenses and filters, I just have thousands of negatives that I want to get round to digitalising and getting onto my computer. :hmmm:

Composing the picture on the camera was so much more important with film, wasn't it? And as for "machine gunning" a static display aircraft with a digital SLR....🤣

I have scanned some negatives to create a series of photo books for my wife's family, which were quite successful (after a few false starts!)😉 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Composing the picture on the camera was so much more important with film, wasn't it? And as for "machine gunning" a static display aircraft with a digital SLR....🤣

Yes, it's so much easier with a digital camera, check the image and if it's naff delete and re-shoot.  If you got it wrong with film...tough. :wtf:

• Like 1

I really like the image of the Catalina banking in, head on.  I think that aircraft came into RAF Leeming a couple of years ago.( not that many Catalinas about)  After I refuelled it I had tour around and in it, one of the few perks I had when interesting aircraft landed.  Like refuelling the BBMF Lancaster, Spitfire and Hurricane.

IMG_0133 (1)

• Like 1

That is some perk - you must have been very proud!

After 30 years in the RAF, becoming a MoD driver for the next 16 years which included aircraft refuelling, it did have some interesting times.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

After 30 years in the RAF, becoming a MoD driver for the next 16 years which included aircraft refuelling, it did have some interesting times.

Wow! I'm envious! I would love to see some of your 35mm photos, once you have digitised them!👍

• Like 1

Wow! I'm envious! I would love to see some of your 35mm photos, once you have digitised them!👍

Most of the pictures I took were at air shows, It's funny how security people want to have a one way conversation with you when you start pointing cameras at aircraft, even when you are wearing uniform.  Driving a fuel tanker you are also forbidden to have electronic devices like phones and cameras on you.  The day I took the Spitfire shot I had driven a coach to the Air Museum at Elvington so I had my camera with me when the Spitfire landed.  When I was stationed up at RAF Lossiemouth, I worked closely with the military police so I had a lot more latitude, just as well when those Buccaneers came back from the Gulf war with their nose art.  :whistle:

• Haha 1

On 10/27/2019 at 9:10 PM, Retired Bob said:

Most of the pictures I took were at air shows, It's funny how security people want to have a one way conversation with you when you start pointing cameras at aircraft, even when you are wearing uniform.  Driving a fuel tanker you are also forbidden to have electronic devices like phones and cameras on you.  The day I took the Spitfire shot I had driven a coach to the Air Museum at Elvington so I had my camera with me when the Spitfire landed.  When I was stationed up at RAF Lossiemouth, I worked closely with the military police so I had a lot more latitude, just as well when those Buccaneers came back from the Gulf war with their nose art.  :whistle:

Sounds like you grabbed some great shots, despite the "challenges". Please post some when you have scanned them.😉

• Like 1