Pegasus 1/72 Macchi M5

Thanks Steve, Torbjorn and Toby.  The wing struts are the likely culprits as the top wing looks ok when compared to photos and the box plans. They are kit supplied and were impossible to cut short so are either lacking in height or is it possible that earlier machines had increased dihedral. I'm thinking out loud only because the wing floats are of the early type. If not, the lower wings were attached with CA gel. If memory serves I think the solution involves nail polish remover?

Regards, Steve

Solved the problem by dropping it. One of the lower wings detached and the rest came adrift with a little pressure. Current status has the wings reattached with a longer rear strut of an inch as against 0.9 ins. Hope to get it at least respectable by Sunday. Front strut and some simplied rigging will have to do as I have other projects ongoing.  Regards, Steve

• Like 3

Hi Steve,

Sounds like a variation on my own technique - if in doubt hit it with a hammer! Mind you. as a one time mechanical engineer, I tended to be working mostly with metal.

Pete

• Haha 2

Oh dear Steve - I usually do that sort of thing when I do not want to make a serious modification! Let's hope that you can at least present a completed model by Sunday - but thet will be too late for me as I have to go on my travels on Sunday morning and will be off-line for the following two weeks.

P

Thank you Gentlemen for the encouragement. Been a rush but finally got her together. Pictures are in the Gallery but to sum up I scratched the struts from Contrail and used rod for the outer supports. The wings are three quarters rigged as the rear wires were too difficult to get at after the dropping incident and rebuilding. Managed to squeeze some metallic painted masking tape above the exhaust as the heat shield and made a trestle for the front end. Hasn’t come out too bad so can live with it but may try to add some additional rigging later. I’m sure I’ve got some copper wire somewhere.

Regards, Steve

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...