Rigging

Vinster

Hello, Jm looking to build my first ww2 fighter a P-51 and was wondering what is the best material for the radio wires and wires on the kit. I'm not sure if it's called rigging either i apologise for the misleading title.

Thank you Vin

I think this is the sort of thing you are looking for...

https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/product/45m-x-003mm-rigging-bobbin-fine-uschi-van-der-rosten-4006

bobbin_1.jpg

It comes in a variety of thicknesses and can be used for aerials as well as 'rigging'.

I hope that helps - Steve

• Thanks 2

Hi Vinster

Check first if your subject is a Mustang from one of the Eighth Air Force fighter groups. VIII Fighter Command had the SCR-274 HF radios removed and therefore no antenna wires on their P-51s.

Michael

• Thanks 1

Toryu is right, check your info first.

For aerial wires I use smoke coloured "invisible thread". Easy to find at any sewing shop, costs virtually nothing, easy to use with CA glue and doesn't sag over time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BIG X said:

I think this is the sort of thing you are looking for...

https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/product/45m-x-003mm-rigging-bobbin-fine-uschi-van-der-rosten-4006

bobbin_1.jpg

It comes in a variety of thicknesses and can be used for aerials as well as 'rigging'.

I hope that helps - Steve

Thank you i looked into it before with another company and was unsure what thickness i needed and panicked over the buying options but that k you ill give this a look at

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Toryu said:

Hi Vinster

Check first if your subject is a Mustang from one of the Eighth Air Force fighter groups. VIII Fighter Command had the SCR-274 HF radios removed and therefore no antenna wires on their P-51s.

Michael

Thank you'll give it a check when I'm home

37 minutes ago, Tentacles said:

I like "EZ Line", It's elastic, so you can stretch it into position. You need a fast acting super-glue though. 

Thank you, , i have some ca glue and i believe this was the one i may have looked into

2 hours ago, Toryu said:

Hi Vinster

Michael

Just remembered it's best if i get some rig that thing up anyway as i have a C-121, 262, fw and spit that will all need it when i begin them. 

Scale is a major factor as well. I use the invisible mending thread as well for 1/48 and it would probably work for 1/32 too. Gave never had to deal with 1/72 but I have often sent he antenna wires overdone. They are practically invisible at more than 50 real feet.

• Thanks 1

EZ Line is a relatively thick/wide flat tape. Even their thin option is way out of scale for most model purposes and being a flat tape if you twist it accidently it looks like ribbons on the model.

Uschi and Infini's offerings are much better as they are much finer and round section. Infini's costs the same for a spool as Uschi but has much more on the spool for the money.

Threads and fishing lines are popular but the lycra lines suit some people who do have to handle models as the lycra lines can take some very rough handling without breaking. Non-elasticated threads just go ping if you so much as accidently brush against an antenna.

• Thanks 1

On 21/10/2019 at 20:59, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

EZ Line is a relatively thick/wide flat tape. Even their thin option is way out of scale for most model purposes and being a flat tape if you twist it accidently it looks like ribbons on the model.

Uschi and Infini's offerings are much better as they are much finer and round section. Infini's costs the same for a spool as Uschi but has much more on the spool for the money.

Threads and fishing lines are popular but the lycra lines suit some people who do have to handle models as the lycra lines can take some very rough handling without breaking. Non-elasticated threads just go ping if you so much as accidently brush against an antenna.

Thank you, I'll look into lycra threads and lines and the Infinis spools as I need something a little more robust as at the moment I haven't sorted a proper storage area for my models, I'll probably have a new shelf up soon.