A Canadian CF-104

Hi all, 

This is my 1/72 Hasegawa CF-104 Starfighter. The CF-104 Starfighter was a modified version of the Lockheed F-104, built in Canada by Canadair under license. Canadair manufactured 200 aircraft for the RCAF. The CF-104 entered Canadian service in March 1962. Beginning in 1983, the CF-104 Starfighters were replaced by McDonnell Douglas F-18 Hornets (CF-18s). The last CF-104 was phased out on March 1, 1986. This particular plane (762) entered service on May 1, 1962. It crashed on June 9, 1981 when the aircraft struck trees on a simulated tactical delivery. The pilot ejected safely. About 110 CF-104/CF-104Ds were lost in accidents. My model is painted with Vallejo Metal Colors. The decals are from Canuck Model Products. 

Cheers,  

Mark 

IMG_0920

IMG_0918

IMG_0921

IMG_0917

IMG_0913

IMG_0926

IMG_0912

IMG_0902

IMG_0900

IMG_0897

IMG_0855

IMG_0831

IMG_0828

• Like 41
  • Thanks 1

A beautiful job on that CF-104!  It looks like the NMF on this plane turned out really nice.  Did you experience any particular problems with the Vallejo Metal Color?  I picked some up for my next NMF model based on some very positive online reviews, but its always nice to hear from real life users!

25 minutes ago, mdauben said:

A beautiful job on that CF-104!  It looks like the NMF on this plane turned out really nice.  Did you experience any particular problems with the Vallejo Metal Color?  I picked some up for my next NMF model based on some very positive online reviews, but its always nice to hear from real life users!

Metal Color range is awesome. Sprays nicely with no problems and you get a good surface (like presented in this CF-104 here!). The primer has big impact, though - you get the best shine when painting on gloss black surface like they recommend. Also big bonus is that they're your normal acrylics - so easy to use and don't stink!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mdauben said:

No problems, I highly recommend Vallejo Metal Color. Metal Color is non-toxic, cleans up with water and is very easy to airbrush. When I prepare my model, I sand it with micro meshes up to 4000 grade to get a smooth surface. Next, I wash the model with either dish soap and water, or wipe it down with alcohol. I then spray it with Vallejo surface primer (Black). At this point, I always wear rubber gloves when handling the model. When I am ready to airbrush the metal color, I set the air pressure to about 15 psi. I am using a Neo for Iwata airbrush. Depending on the color, I either shoot it straight from the bottle or if it seems a bit thick I add a few drops of Vallejo thinner. I spray very light thin coats. Waiting a a couple of minutes between coats. Do not spray a wet coat, it will run and dry blotchy.  When it is dry, I spray on a coat of gloss to protect the surface - either Vallejo Gloss Clear Varnish (77.657) or Tamiya gloss. For this particular model, I used the following colors: Aluminum (77.701) for the body, Dark Aluminium (77.703) and Exhaust Manifold (77.723) for the rear section.     

Edited by Mark22
spelling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mark22 thanks for sharing your experiences with that paint as I'm planning to try the same thing in comparing metal colours from different brands. 

Superb Starfighter & in my scale! I plan to do a Voodoo with acrylics in metal. I've used some of the Mig metals from their little bottles & interested to see how the two brands compare.

Martin

• Thanks 1