1/72 Revell Horton Go 229- Luft '46

I had this kit half built on the SOD for many months with no real inspiration to finish it.  That is until I had a vision of this alongside another Luft '46 bird, both wearing similar post war themes of NMF.  So here is part 1 of my recent Luft '46 builds.

Imagine, if you will, that Germany, during the dying days of World War II, was the first to discover the atomic bomb. 

With the threat of submarine deployed nuclear suicide strikes off the coast of American cities, the War in Europe was brought to a swift and terrifying stalemate.  This allowed Germany to rebuild and re-arm itself.  Aircraft that once were wooden wonders and mere blueprints suddenly became modern, sophisticated and deadly predators of the sky.

Here we have the Horton Go 229 advanced jet interceptor.  Improved jet engines now allowed this aircraft to patrol the skies over Europe with compete freedom.  Advanced alloys were now used in the construction.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers all,

Phil

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

This is very nicely done. I'm nearly done building one of these kits as well, so I know the problem areas (like the intake and the wing joins and the landing gear doors) and you did a really good job fitting without losing details. I also like that 1930ish choice of paint scheme, which is unique among 1946 models.

Different paint scheme for the era, but hey it's 'what if' right?

Nice

The numbers really do look out of place on some of the Luft 46' planes because of their lack of a regular fuselage, and of course the swastikas when there's a lack of rudder.

Still love the look of the Horten though.

Nicely done.

One of my favourite Luft46 planes and you've done a great job with the kit! Lovely!

Although, in reality, it was planned to be made mostly of wood (as the prototypes were), it is reasonable to think that, had things gone differently, metal alloys would have ultimately been used once available.

Miguel