Great snakes and by the whiskers of Kürvi-Tasch! It's a 109!

I grew up reading Tintin.  I have been wanting to build this 109 for a long, long, time....The kit I will be using is an old Airfix Heller kit (I think) that I bought in a job-lot sale.  All the parts are there except for the instruction sheet, so I'll be winging it!  I will be using the Blue Rider decal sheet from the second series of publications.  Remember, the first printing had Tintin flying a Heinkel with the old-style Bordurian 'hourglass' design.  I will not be attempting a remodelling of the pilot to resemble our intrepid boy-reporter and faithful pooch.  

Fun, fun, fun...the illustrations are from Blue Rider and Herge...

spacer.png  spacer.png

spacer.png

This superb profile is by Claes Sundin.  His website is here...

https://luftwaffeinprofile.se/Bf 109 Tintin.html

spacer.png

--John

Edited by John D.C. Masters
oops!
  • Like 10

I was hoping someone would do one of these aircraft. Though I’m unfamiliar with the stories as they're not really a known thing here in the States. I have picked up on quite a bit of them over the last 2.5 years that I've been a member here. 

“The kit I will be using is an old Airfix kit (I think) that I bought in a job-lot sale.”

Looks a lot like my heller kit sitting in my stash. Im hoping to pick up more of them at the swap meet coming up. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

I'll be keen to see this come together John & pleased you're using a early model Bf109 for it, I've seen too many Fs & Gs used on various websites which don't look right to me.Are you going to go with a 3 bladed prop though?

Steve.

12 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

modify the kit spinner with milliput & files.

For such small pieces it would require quite a bit of sculpting.  I thought about it and it lost the 'fun' aspect.  One would have to modify the nose as well, thus losing that mean sloped look to the 109B/C series...Two-bladed prop it is.  Blame Herge for using a three-bladed prop on a 109B.  I imagine he never thought of the likes of us, finessing minutiae.  

• Like 1

After having looked more carefully at Herge's art and also the Blue Rider reference I think I might restart this build with either a 109F or G...I can shelve this current fuselage for some other purpose.  I won't start a new thread, but rather just re-photograph the sprue, etc...

What say the moderators?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, John D.C. Masters said:

After having looked more carefully at Herge's art and also the Blue Rider reference I think I might restart this build with either a 109F or G...I can shelve this current fuselage for some other purpose.  I won't start a new thread, but rather just re-photograph the sprue, etc...

What say the moderators?

Looking at the profile in your post.

On 10/19/2019 at 10:55 AM, John D.C. Masters said:

This superb profile is by Claes Sundin.  His website is here...

https://luftwaffeinprofile.se/Bf 109 Tintin.html

spacer.png

it looks like a late “D” with the “E” type exhausts. That was a real world update that actually occurred. If i were building this aircraft i personally would use an “E” with some basic chin modifications to create the “D” type radiator. As a moderator I say build it as you see fit, thus it is good to go. It does have some aspects of later 109’s. Such as the E-4 and later flat canopy & exhausts. It is a work of fiction based on an artists impression of a real world aircraft, so it is open to some interpretation. 

Dennis

• Like 2

Claes' profile is superb but the Herge drawings look much more Gee-ish...or at least vague enough that it could be one of several different variants.  Meanwhile, George Remi is saying to himself, "Its just a drawing...'

spacer.png

• Like 1

This one is coming together rather quickly.  In fact....I think I am ready for some paint.  RLM02 for the upper bits, RLM76 for what's underneath and RLM04 for the yellow.

spacer.png

I have a bit of filling to do around the glass, but not much.  This Hasagawa is a nice little number.

--John

• Like 4

RLM84...

spacer.png

Can't go wrong with RLM02...

spacer.png

When dry, remove the tape and ...voila!

spacer.png

Some final pieces...

spacer.png

Looking very Bordurian already...

spacer.png

The decals go on tonight.  Varnish afterwards, then some light weathering.  

--John

• Like 6

I have applied a few decals from the spares box--walkway warning, etc...These were from one of the many AZ/KoPro kits I have built over the last year.  It's a nice touch and adds a level of accuracy that Herge did not envision.

With the varnish applied all I need to do now is a light weathering.  If I remember correctly, Borduria and Syldavia practiced a colder war so front-line grime will not be present.  Not much to do on the Borduria Frontier other than clean the planes, drink mineral water and watch out for boy reporters and their dogs!  

I think I will use the light coloured Flory Wash as I did with the Hungarian Gustav.  It doesn't weather it so much as bring out panel lines, etc...I'll add a radio wire and a dusting of exhaust and that'll be that!  I think the Khemed Spitfire is next...😀  This will be nice addition to the 109 shelf.

spacer.png

--John

• Like 10

Thank you Steve--and everyone else.  Here she is, done and dusted, on the shelf alongside some of her Balkan sisters.  Looking very much the part...Meanwhile the other images can be seen along the Bordurian/Syldavian frontier  in the gallery!  I hope to start in on a Khemedi Spitfire this evening!

spacer.png

• Like 9