1/72nd Arma Model Hurricane Mk.I, 85 Sqn, Battle of Britain, flown by Canadian pilot Flt. Lt. Harry Hamilton

Lovely build and paint work there.  It's interesting that the aircraft has the anti-exhaust glare shields fitted, not seen those on a Battle of Britain aircraft before.  There are other pictures of 85 Squadron Hurricanes with them fitted, but I would have thought they were more likely to have been fitted when the squadron was re-assigned to night fighting.

• Like 1

Tony,

Well, you've done it again! Wonderful model and pilot history. Looks like the Arma kit is the class of the field for a metal wing Mk 1! A very unusual but very attractive color scheme, too. You are a wizard with the hairy stick, that's for sure! So, how many Hurricane models does this make? Just curious- in the photo of the real article, is that panel under the squadron codes metal? Isn't that panel sometimes fabric-covered? I'm not as well-versed on Hurricanes  as you and others, but would like to know for future projects.

Mike

• Like 2

On 10/21/2019 at 11:50 AM, J Sherratt said:

Great looking model and really like the background story too. I like the Arma Hurricane kit a lot. Just finishing my third one! John

Thanks John and good luck with your third one mate.. 

On 10/21/2019 at 11:59 AM, Adam Poultney said:

That is not 1/72! No way! That's amazing! 

LOL,.... thanks Adam,..... it was definitely 1/72nd as it hurt my eyes!! Glad you like it. 

On 10/21/2019 at 1:12 PM, 593jones said:

Lovely build and paint work there.  It's interesting that the aircraft has the anti-exhaust glare shields fitted, not seen those on a Battle of Britain aircraft before.  There are other pictures of 85 Squadron Hurricanes with them fitted, but I would have thought they were more likely to have been fitted when the squadron was re-assigned to night fighting.

Thanks mate,..... yeah the exhaust glare shields were not seen too much,...... but 85 & 87 Sqn usually had them fitted before and during the battle. Maybe they were dual assigned,.... I know some experienced units did fly at night.  

On 10/21/2019 at 2:31 PM, 72modeler said:

Tony,

Well, you've done it again! Wonderful model and pilot history. Looks like the Arma kit is the class of the field for a metal wing Mk 1! A very unusual but very attractive color scheme, too. You are a wizard with the hairy stick, that's for sure! So, how many Hurricane models does this make? Just curious- in the photo of the real article, is that panel under the squadron codes metal? Isn't that panel sometimes fabric-covered? I'm not as well-versed on Hurricanes  as you and others, but would like to know for future projects.

Mike

Thanks Mike,..... it really is a lovely kit mate. How many Hurricane models,..... who knows mate,....and I`m not counting them,....but it must be over 100 in all scales! The panel, which is set under the codes and ends level with the Y was always fabric covered,.... it was the access to the radio compartment. 

All the best

Tony 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, ArmouredSprue said:

Astounding build mate. Attention to detail and references. I really loved it.

Thanks for sharing it.

Thanks mate,.... nice of you to say so,...... glad you liked it.

On 10/19/2019 at 5:04 PM, tonyot said:

Thanks fellas,..... and yes Hans,.... it certainly look like a belt of bullets,...... it was obviously an armourers thing,.... but then they were always a bit strange!!! 

Cheers

Tony

As a current serving member of gods chosen few ( armourer) in the RAF working on Typhoon i can honestly say that you are correct..We can be a bit strange........

gorgeous model and as said a great reminder of those "few"

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, daront said:

As a current serving member of gods chosen few ( armourer) in the RAF working on Typhoon i can honestly say that you are correct..We can be a bit strange........

gorgeous model and as said a great reminder of those "few"

LOL,.... thanks mate!! Keep up the good work too. 

13 hours ago, djos said:

Great looking model in unusual livery

Best regards Djordje

Thanks very much Djordje,.... glad you liked it. 

That's a fine looking Hurricane Tony.

The unusual style of camouflage makes a nice refreshing change. Hats off to the unit level painters and finishers.

Seeing variations like this makes me realise why I love this hobby so much.

Thank you for sharing it .

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cngaero said:

That's a fine looking Hurricane Tony.

The unusual style of camouflage makes a nice refreshing change. Hats off to the unit level painters and finishers.

Seeing variations like this makes me realise why I love this hobby so much.

Thank you for sharing it .

Cheers Chris,..... yeah some units were very good at adding a bit of flair and 85 Sqn atthis time were one of them. 

• Like 1