Bring me Sunshine.

On 11/24/2019 at 7:23 PM, TheBaron said:

More delightful increments John. :clap2:

Had the pleasure of crawling around a PR.9 up at the Ulster Aviation Society last weekend and astonished at the sheer number of surface details all around the airframe that I simply hadn't noticed in photos!

Thanks Tony, I've been lurking in the background keeping an eye on your Magnum opus, splendid work! I really fancy a trip there some time, they have some fantastic exhibits, did they open her up? 

John  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, canberra kid said:

did they open her up? 

The hatch in the underside for the rear camera was open already and our guide helpfully pulled the nose open to let us have a good gawk around inside the forward position. Talk about claustrophobic! I did manage to get a lot of closeups of the electronics and dials inside there to satisfy the inner geek...

Well worth a visit if you're in the North John and a great crew running the place.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Senior moment!! - just dawned on me mine is a B(I)8 - the Alley Cat part is the nose glazing which has the flat part looks a lot better than the kit part. It was being built with one of the kit options if I recall.

Anyhow, it has emerged into the light, so it might as well be fettled. A couple of KUTA builds and it will be back in action, though I have a nagging feeling it has already been a part of a previous KUTA GB itself. 😀

16 hours ago, canberra kid said:

That's more like it! Good to hear, I've never bothered with the Ally Cat glassing, it always seamed a lot of trouble for not much return. What are you building it as?

John 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Jinxman said:

Senior moment!! - just dawned on me mine is a B(I)8 - the Alley Cat part is the nose glazing which has the flat part looks a lot better than the kit part. It was being built with one of the kit options if I recall.

Anyhow, it has emerged into the light, so it might as well be fettled. A couple of KUTA builds and it will be back in action, though I have a nagging feeling it has already been a part of a previous KUTA GB itself. 😀

I didn't realise they did one for the B(I)8, have they corrected the side windows too? 

John

20 hours ago, TheBaron said:

The hatch in the underside for the rear camera was open already and our guide helpfully pulled the nose open to let us have a good gawk around inside the forward position. Talk about claustrophobic! I did manage to get a lot of closeups of the electronics and dials inside there to satisfy the inner geek...

Well worth a visit if you're in the North John and a great crew running the place.

That's good, it must have been a test for the fortitude of the Navigator! The Phantom they have looks good too. I have a friend that lives not far from the museum so I could kill two birds with one stone.

John 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, canberra kid said:

I didn't realise they did one for the B(I)8, have they corrected the side windows too? 

John

I am not sure it was specifically for the B(I)8 - I think I blagged a couple of nose transparencies from a different conversion from Alistair some time ago.

The side windows are not addressed - from memory I toyed with doing a new moulding for the whole of the front, gave up on that, and decided to lay in some clear material  and mask it to the correct shape and angle. Then again my memory might be playing tricks - we'll see in due course!

9 hours ago, Jinxman said:

I am not sure it was specifically for the B(I)8 - I think I blagged a couple of nose transparencies from a different conversion from Alistair some time ago.

The side windows are not addressed - from memory I toyed with doing a new moulding for the whole of the front, gave up on that, and decided to lay in some clear material  and mask it to the correct shape and angle. Then again my memory might be playing tricks - we'll see in due course!

I get what you mean now, it was just the nose cap, I thought I hadn't seen a B(I)8 replacement. I must confess as yet I've not tried correcting the kit part, but when I finally get around to building another 8 or 12.

John 

• Like 1

Phase 2 on the fuselage, time to fill the wrong or fictional panel lines, and add new or correctly positioned ones, I've marked the the wrong ones in red and the new ones in green.

spacer.png

Next job is the fuselage and tail strengthening plates, for this I've used silver vinyl wrap as used on custom cars it's very thin strong and sicks like poo to a blanket, 

The wrap to to shape,

spacer.png

Lined up along the trailing edge and secured, I then gently pressed the leading edge over the wing stub and used that as a guide to cut out that area with a new blade.

spacer.png

After cutting and pressing down, job done!

spacer.png

and the plate under the tail plain. you may notes I've removed the tail bumper, this will be reattached later in the correct position which is slightly back from where it is on the kit, not a big issue but whilst I was at it I thought I may as well.

spacer.png

John

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Nice work on the stiffening plates. They are such an obvious feature it's surprising that they are typically left off the kits. I like the self-adhesive foil idea - I think I used 0.005" styrene for my 1:72 PR.9. Or was it masking tape? I can't remember!    :doh:

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Hamden said:

Love your attention to the smallest detail. Looking forward to another of your show stopping builds!

Roger

Thanks Roger, I'm trying to put in as much detail and corrections to the airframe as I can, The bomb bay will be a big job, I'm still making my mind up as to what configuration I'm going for, Ground Attack or Nuclear Strike?

John

22 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Nice work on the stiffening plates. They are such an obvious feature it's surprising that they are typically left off the kits. I like the self-adhesive foil idea - I think I used 0.005" styrene for my 1:72 PR.9. Or was it masking tape? I can't remember!    :doh:

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks Bill, if memory serves me well, I think you used plastic card, but like you, I'm not sure.  I have used adhesive tape before, but I'm not sure about the efficacy of the adhesive, this vinyl wrap has a 5 year guarantee on cars, so my thinking is, if it's good for half a decade out on the road it should do ok indoors for a good while longer?

John  

• Like 2

Nice work on the strengthening slabs John.

Judging by all those red lines that's a lot of fictional detail. Always wondered why manufacturers bother adding in something that they didn't know was there in the first place!

21 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Nice work on the strengthening slabs John.

Judging by all those red lines that's a lot of fictional detail. Always wondered why manufacturers bother adding in something that they didn't know was there in the first place!

Thanks Tony, it's a curse of many a manufacturer, just going for a set of published plans without doing there own research, in a way you can't blame them as it could cost a fortune to do the in depth job that is needed, but it would nice if they did! does the kits produced using Lidar(?) faithfully reproduce the panels or are these added after? 

John  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, canberra kid said:

does the kits produced using Lidar(?) faithfully reproduce the panels or are these added after? 

That's a good point John: I guess a lot hinges on the spatial resolution of the Lidar system? It's likely some panels may be too subtle an elevation to pick up, though I have heard of this invention called photography that could be brought into use for accurate references... 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

That's a good point John: I guess a lot hinges on the spatial resolution of the Lidar system? It's likely some panels may be too subtle an elevation to pick up, though I have heard of this invention called photography that could be brought into use for accurate references... 😁

Photography? that's cutting edge, I don't think it'll catch on, too esoteric for the model industry! One of the problems with the Canberra and no doubt a few other types eatch Mk have/had their own individuality so a one size fits all approach won't really work, but having said that from the point of view of the manufacturers, the cost involved in pandering to the obsessive types like me :)

John   

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, GROWLER said:

Can I see them somewhere else?

Hi Growler, are you looking on your phone? The photos sometimes take a while to load as they are quite big, but if you still can't see them I'm also doing a WIP on my website IPMS UK Canberra SIG.

John

• Like 1

I've been working away on the wings today, a bit of topping up to do on the filler, but they are almost done. I'll set then aside and start thinking about the bomb bay next, this will be the most involved part of the build. I've still no clear idea about what weapons configuration to go for?

spacer.png

spacer.png

John

• Like 6

2 hours ago, canberra kid said:

I've still no clear idea about what weapons configuration to go for?

I'd be tempted to go for the Red Beard configuration John, not out of any militarism but as a grim reminder of the ultimate lethality of the Cold War period. A personal perspective of course.

• Like 2