Bring me Sunshine.

Well, after a lot of flip flopping between ideas as to what my next Canberra build should be I've finally settled on the B(I)6, I feel quite enthusiastic about this, so all being well I should see it through to the end! I've yet to decide what weapon fit to go for, the gun pack or a Bucket of Sunshine in the shape of a Red Beard bomb. either way, I plan on doing a full job on the Bomb bay. The subject will be, WT316, but in an earlier time than this photo of her, but it will look similar. 

spacer.png

This is a photo of the resin extras I've earmarked for the build. The black items on the right are 3D printed bomb beam and controle runs. These were done by a friend in the USA.

spacer.png

Well that didn't take long! A change of plan, I've ditched the resin wheels and gon back to the kit ones, the reason? To build 316 as I'm intending to I needed to use the early mod 'Big wheel' which has a slightly diferant hub to the later style, not a big job thankfully, but I thought I'd be better off using the kit parts rather than the resin ones.

As you will see in the following photo the only difference between the early and late wheel is four extra holes, these were later deleted by Dunlop as it was found they were prone to stress fractures. 

spacer.png

Next step, all the usual re engraving and corrections.

John    

Edited by canberra kid
Typo
  • Like 13

Always good to see an RAF Canberra, in any guise. Particularly 1/48!

I have two in my stash, I want to do one as a 100 sqn TT18 (if I can find decals!) and one as an early one like this. I'll be watching with interest ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lord Riot said:

Always good to see an RAF Canberra, in any guise. Particularly 1/48!

I have two in my stash, I want to do one as a 100 sqn TT18 (if I can find decals!) and one as an early one like this. I'll be watching with interest ...

Thanks, good to have your company! It's good to be back in the saddle again, I've been suffering from a mojo loss. So,on we go, the next job, the first of many additions, for some reason the tail planes are devoid of any detail, which would have been fine had the rest of the kit been the same but alas it isn't, so we have two choices, fill all the other detail on the kit, which I've done a few times or add what's missing, which is the way I go now. 

The tail plains as they come

spacer.png

after marking out

spacer.png

and after scribing the detail, this process doesn't take too long thankfully.

spacer.png

The next phase will be doing the same with the wings.

John

• Like 12

Good to see you back at work John. Looking forward -as ever - to watching and learning.

Your scribing always looks so damn neat - do you mind me asking what process you follow to get such high class results?

• Like 1

On 10/19/2019 at 1:42 PM, canberra kid said:

Well, after a lot of flip flopping between ideas as to what my next Canberra build should be I've finally settled on the B(I)6, I feel quite enthusiastic about this, so all being well I should see it through to the end! I've yet to decide what weapon fit to go for, the gun pack or a Bucket of Sunshine in the shape of a Red Beard bomb. either way, I plan on doing a full job on the Bomb bay. The subject will be, WT316, but in an earlier time than this photo of her, but it will look similar. 

spacer.png

This is a photo of the resin extras I've earmarked for the build. The black items on the right are 3D printed bomb beam and controle runs. These were done by a friend in the USA.

spacer.png

Well that didn't take long! A change of plan, I've ditched the resin wheels and gon back to the kit ones, the reason? To build 316 as I'm intending to I needed to use the early mod 'Big wheel' which has a slightly diferant hub to the later style, not a big job thankfully, but I thought I'd be better off using the kit parts rather than the resin ones.

As you will see in the following photo the only difference between the early and late wheel is four extra holes, these were later deleted by Dunlop as it was found they were prone to stress fractures. 

spacer.png

Next step, all the usual re engraving and corrections.

John    

Just a quick point,  If I recall correctly was the only squadron to fly the Canberra B(I).6 variant was 213 based in Germany.  The German based interdictors were only armed with the US Mk 7 Nuclear weapon, the Red Beards were only used By the RAF in the middle and far east on Canberra.

Selwyn

Edited by Selwyn

22 hours ago, Selwyn said:

Just a quick point,  If I recall correctly was the only squadron to fly the Canberra B(I).6 variant was 213 based in Germany.  The German based interdictors were only armed with the US Mk 7 Nuclear weapon, the Red Beards were only used By the RAF in the middle and far east on Canberra.

Selwyn

Good spot Selwyn thanks, I probably would have got to that conclusion eventually, I'll need to do the bomb door mod's if I do fit the Mk.7, though I've not decided yet what fit she'll have.

John  

On 10/20/2019 at 7:23 PM, TheBaron said:

Good to see you back at work John. Looking forward -as ever - to watching and learning.

Your scribing always looks so damn neat - do you mind me asking what process you follow to get such high class results?

Hi Tony, it's good to be back too, thanks for the compliment, I can't really think I do anything special, I use a Tamiya scriber, which I think is actually made by P-cutter? I recently got another make to try out but I'm finding it very scratchy. I always mark out the lines in pencil, then use a the Scale Models steel ruler as the guide, I use it with the graduations facing down if I do it with them facing up I find the etched marks make the blade run a bit jaded, I hope that helps?

John     

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've had a stab at doing a simpleler fix for the tail plain issue, what I've done is field away the flat area on the top side of the tail plain stub, more to follow line of the top of the tail plains, this has the benefit of creating more fuselage between the bottom of the fin and the tail plains. The sketch below hopefully illustrates what I've done, the hatched area is what I've removed.

spacer.png

I don't know how well it shows on these photos. I've highlighted the before and after.

Before.

spacer.png

After

spacer.png

John

• Like 14

11 hours ago, Col. said:

Excellent. Another masterclass in Canberra modelling :) 

I'll try by best! :) 

10 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Definitely... Im ashamed I've only just discovered this. 

No problem, you've not missed much yet, glad you fund it in the end! :) 

John

• Like 2

I've done more work on the tail end, not only the work on the top, but as you can see I've also moved the tail plain's back a touch so I can correct the line of the leading edge,

spacer.png

I've also opened up the gap under the tail plains the allows them to move up and down on the real aircraft, the molded on part of the elevator on the rear fuselage. fairing has gone too. I've added the rear downward identification light. 

spacer.png

The next job moving forward will be the ident lights in front of the bomb bay and the secondary bomb aimers window under the nose.

John  

• Like 7

I've just been checking through my B.6/B(I)6 AP and it turns out the B(I)6 didn't have the downward ident lights in between the front of the bomb bay and nose wheel well, so that's saved me a big job! The secondary bomb aimers window is now added.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I've also managed a bit more work on the wing, I've drilled all the various intakes in the leading edge on both wings. The wings have also had all the filling rubbed down and scribing re doing where necessary. They are at a point now where they can be closed up. 

spacer.png

John    

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, Jinxman said:

Very nice work.

Mine's residing on the shelf of doom, and I can already see some more fettling on it, to introduce some of the fixes you are sharing!

cheers

Sorry to hear that Jinxman, the shelf of doom is no place for a Canberra! I hope my effort relights the fire and gets her back on the production line.

John 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/23/2019 at 2:39 PM, canberra kid said:

Sorry to hear that Jinxman, the shelf of doom is no place for a Canberra! I hope my effort relights the fire and gets her back on the production line.

John 

Dragged the fuselage out to have a look - I think I stalled before with the nose glazing, as I was trying to mate an Alley Cat part to the kit part, and the contours didn't match very well.

She's now sat there awaiting my attention - couple of KUTAs to get out the way and she might make a re-appearance. 😀

More delightful increments John. :clap2:

Had the pleasure of crawling around a PR.9 up at the Ulster Aviation Society last weekend and astonished at the sheer number of surface details all around the airframe that I simply hadn't noticed in photos!

• Like 2

On 11/24/2019 at 7:17 PM, Jinxman said:

Dragged the fuselage out to have a look - I think I stalled before with the nose glazing, as I was trying to mate an Alley Cat part to the kit part, and the contours didn't match very well.

She's now sat there awaiting my attention - couple of KUTAs to get out the way and she might make a re-appearance. 😀

That's more like it! Good to hear, I've never bothered with the Ally Cat glassing, it always seamed a lot of trouble for not much return. What are you building it as?

John