Revell 1/48 F-89D Scorpion

Hi again,

This is my latest build. It's looking like my camera skills haven't improved one bit, I need to figure out a better location/setup to take photos of my models, sorry about that.

Anyway, this is the build:

Kit: Revell F-89D/J (No. 4568)

Model: Northrop F-89D Scorpion (USAF)

Scale: 1/48

Aftermarket: None

Paints: Vallejo Model, Air & Metal Color

Weathering: Oil paints, Flory Models Wash

The kit was by no means perfect (it's from the early 90's) - nor was my build of the kit ( I can point out dozens of mistakes...) - but all in all I'm still very happy with the overall look. I did not stress about it too much but was just enjoying the build and was in awe how cool a plane the Scorpion really is :) 

So I hope you enjoy. All comments & constructive criticism are welcomed! 

One thing that I'm trying to figure out the best way to weather raised panel line kits, washes don't really work that well. Maybe some airbrush magic? Would love to hear your thoughts on that.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And here's a shot with Monogram F-102 Delta Dagger I did earlier this year. Big planes, both of them!

spacer.png

Edited by reini
Added a photo
  • Like 36

Lovely Scorpion Reini. I wouldn't worry too much about the weathering - it looks good as you have done it! Love the cockpit and figures too. If your model can stand close up photography like this, you are not doing too much wrong. I have one of these to build and I was intending to rescribe the whole kit - maybe I will reconsider after seeing this.

Cheers

Malcolm

• Like 1

Very cool indeed! I've been meaning to make one for years..................must see if I can find one at Telford this year!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great lookin build and an amazing job with the NMF!  I have used pastel (chalk) with a pant brush to do some of my weathering and it works well on raised panel lines.  Also it is very forgiving if you don't like it as you can just wipe it off (seal the paint first with future).  I have sealed it occasionally after the weathering but not in all cases as I don't really handle my models much when completed.  Your job on the scorpion looks great.

• Like 1