Signal flags German Airports

2Step

Hi everybody,

for some time I am looking for an answer to what kind of signal flags were used on German airfields ....

this is what I could confirm so far:

white with green cross:

permission to take of

red overall:

NO permission to take off

as to this book (and confirmed by context by other pictures)

spacer.png

I've got pictures with the red flag used as a danger sign (e.g. on a "stranded a/c" in the middle of an airfield)

There is also a flag with diagonal division red/white:

spacer.png

Which seems in the case of the picture above also being used for signalling to the a/c, but what??

It also seems to be used to mark vehicles on the airfield

spacer.png

spacer.png

And also other objects/danger??? (hard to tell on this one)

spacer.png

In addition, I've seen color pictures with a yellow flag, but that was probably only an Italian thing.

And than this picture with a flag&board at the back of a truck. However, it is unclear to me if that is a Luftwaffe marking for the airfield, or it is just coincidence that the truck was in the picture with the a/c (although the truck seems to be also flying the red Danger flag which would indicate airfield use)?

spacer.png

Any more information would be really appreciated.

Disclaimer: if there are any copyright issues with posting these pics from books I will immediately remove them

Seriously, nobody ? :shrug:

Well, at least it's a sign that I didn't overlook the obvious .... Still, it would be great if someone can help me out. Otherwise, I guess it's: everything goes :yikes:

I can ask my friend, Walt for help on this. His uncle was a pilot under von Richtofen(the general, not the "Red Ace"; but, he was a cousin of his); he might have other recommendations.

Joe

I have asked him; it may take awhile for his reply; he is having to some work at home. And, no, he doesn't enjoy that; he prefers to relax.

Edited by JPuente54
Add a bit more

@2Step, you started with a great source, "Arms and Armour Press"; Osprey is another publisher who may have this subject as one of their books. You will have to go through their listings, though. I have asked Walt; he will answer when he can. It is an important question; and one that most of us haven't considered.

Joe

He just replied and told me that he doesn't know. I added that his uncle did; he answered that he did. Walt had no knowledge or interest; but, it was worth a try. all the different Air Forces had a series of these type flags. Good luck in your search, let us know what you can discover.

Joe

Edited by JPuente54
Add a bit more

David Brown and David Wadman mention a flag for immovable aircraft that pose a hazard for airfield users in Experten Decals 1 History, Camouflage and Markings of JV44 and JG6 Focke-Wulf 190D-9s (p7). They refer to two examples: one in Bo Widfeldts book The Luftwaffe in Sweden 1939-1945 Monogram Aviation Publications Boylston Ma 1983 and a Jim Crow photograph of a wrecked Me262. Both are said to show a small flag with quarters in either black/white or red/yellow. These flags were either attached to the wrecked aircraft or pitched close by as a warning to other users. I'm sure that I have seen other examples of this flag elsewhere.

Here is the Widfeldt picture of Horst Petzchler's wrecked Bf109G-10 plus flag. Brown & Wadman say that they think this flag could be black/white but it sure looks red/yellow to me. Please remember that this picture is taken at Bromma in Sweden. Posted for the purpose of study/research.

IMG_3301

SD

@SafetyDad

Thanks for your thoughts - that's a new twist :shrug:

Maybe it's a Swedish twist, as I have a German picture which describes the flag as solid red, warning of danger...

spacer.png

Do you remember where the Jim Crow picture of the Me was taken?

The checkered flag style would go with the sign on the truck though ....

• Thanks 1

Well the Swedish flags is perhaps not on topic but I find the chequered flag a bit strange. According to these instructions from 1947: http://www.justus2.se/flyg/flygplatser/SE_tidig_teknik/SE_tidig_teknik.htm

the red and yellow chequered flag was used on vehicles at airfields. Both military and civilian so I wonder if there is a vehicle hidden in front of the plane.

@2Step - thanks for the picture! Very interesting and new to me. Much appreciated! :like:. Sadly Brown/Wadman don't give any reference for a publication with the Jim Crow picture.

@Orso - yes, I was wary about posting the flag picture as it was taken in Sweden (and not likely to be a Luftwaffe flag?) and therefore a bit off topic. It was the mention of a similar flag being used in Germany that made me feel it might add to the discussion. 

I can however say with confidence that there is no vehicle parked in front of the crashed Bf109G-10. My pic cropped off the top of the page of the book, which has another slightly blurred picture of the front of the airframe. The flag is definately attached to the plane. 

SD

Edited by SafetyDad
typo correction

Thanks everybody for your help. I really appreciate the effort. I guess that is what a good forum is about !!!

I have researched this topic for a while. Through some purchases and a very good library system I have read about 500 books on the topic WWII, Air Force & ground vehicles mostly German and English. You would think there is something to be found. But the examples I posted above is literally all I got (besides a few of more pictures with the flags in it, without mentioning them). :swear:

Well if  solve the problem, I will post it ....