Hornet/SuperBug/Growler STGB - 16 and growing

trickyrich

I was quite surprised that this one hasn't come up again, the first F/A-18 STGB was held way back in 2013 (and the poll is still open!)

So it maybe time once again to bring out your Hornets and SuperBugs and Growlers. There are some nice new models available as well as some great decals set now.

For me it'll be a 1/48th Hasegawa SuperBug in VF-31 "Tomcatters" CAG colours. (I'm planning to build my way through all of VF-31's aircraft). 

1, trickyrich - Host

2, corsairfoxfouruncle

3, helios16v

4, Foxbat

5, Romeo Alpha Yankee

6, Jb65rams

7, zebra

8, Valkyrie

9, arnobiz

10, exdraken

11, theplasticsurgeon

12, DaveJL

13, Dansk

14, Arniec

15, MiG Eater

16, FortyEighter

• Like 1

Would anniversary schemes be exceptable ? If so count me in with either a Growler in these markings. https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:US_Navy_110126-N-2344B-002_An_E-A-18G_Growler_from_Electronic_Attack_Squadron_(VAQ)_129,_based_at_Naval_Air_Station_(NAS)_Whidbey_Island,_Wash.,_ar.jpg

Or a standard “C” bug in these markings. 

https://www.fox-two.com/schemes/f-a-18c-163733-vfa-122-usa-us-navy-2011-2

Im kind of off on grey schemes at the moment. Besides it’ll look good next to my GSB VFA-192 Golden Dragons anniversary scheme. 

Dennis

• Like 1

I've got 1/72 Cs (Academy) from VFA-22 Fighting Redcocks & VFA-94 Mighty Shrikes in the winds for my CVW-11 "group build".

Not that I'm guaranteeing I'll actually be able to build when the time arrives......  I fail.  :tomato:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Would anniversary schemes be exceptable ? If so count me in with either a Growler in these markings. https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:US_Navy_110126-N-2344B-002_An_E-A-18G_Growler_from_Electronic_Attack_Squadron_(VAQ)_129,_based_at_Naval_Air_Station_(NAS)_Whidbey_Island,_Wash.,_ar.jpg

Or a standard “C” bug in these markings. 

https://www.fox-two.com/schemes/f-a-18c-163733-vfa-122-usa-us-navy-2011-2

Im kind of off on grey schemes at the moment. Besides it’ll look good next to my GSB VFA-192 Golden Dragons anniversary scheme. 

Dennis

as long as it's an F/A-18 and the scheme is real alls good.

• Thanks 1

Count me in, although I've said that about STGBs before and it always seems to be the STGB that drops off when there are too many GBs at once! I have a Hasegawa 1/48 'D in the stash and decals for a few Hornets (none of which are 'Ds!) and have my eye on the Kinetic kit.

@Romeo Alpha Yankee, @Jb65rams, @zebra welcome along.

I'm not sure what the STGB calendar is like but I suspect that if we get the numbers this STGB wouldn't happen before 2021 so plenty of time.....to forget all about it! :D

@Romeo Alpha Yankee, Ray are you going to come up for the IPMS Comp at the end of November?

1 hour ago, trickyrich said:

I'm not sure what the STGB calendar is like but I suspect that if we get the numbers this STGB wouldn't happen before 2021 so plenty of time.....to forget all about it! :D

2021 would be fine for me. Already committed to too many STGBs next year and we haven’t had the GB bunfight yet.

welcome, names added

7 hours ago, Jb65rams said:

2021 would be fine for me. Already committed to too many STGBs next year and we haven’t had the GB bunfight yet.

tell me about it.....and it looks like there may be 2 more added to the bun fight soon as well, both of which I want to build in!!!

9 hours ago, trickyrich said:

@Romeo Alpha Yankee, @Jb65rams, @zebra welcome along.

@Romeo Alpha Yankee, Ray are you going to come up for the IPMS Comp at the end of November?

I have not been to any of the Sydney club gatherings at all, I see the pictures of these comps after the fact when they are posted on FB or the Aussie Modeller Forum.

I was not aware that there was an IPMS Comp per say, I assume it is one of the meeting gatherings which is a comp day?

yeah the November meeting is the major end of year comp (last weekend of the month). This year they're opening it up to non-members as well for a small entry fee, similar to the SSMS one.

Got 3 2nd's last year, am hoping to crack the 1st place barrier this year! :D

• Thanks 1

:hmmm:I don´t like our Legacy Hornets, after the MLU:s 1 and 2 with JASSM in the arms cupboard converting them from F-18 to proper F/A-18:s, I love them :inlove:.

They may lack fancy paint schemes, but what they lack in appearance is done good with some proper performance in the air :coolio:. Consecutive Sir Douglas Bader trophies can´t go wrong, can´t they?

RIAT 2019:

The 'As The Crow Flies' Trophy (FRIAT Trophy): Finnish Air Force - F/A-18C Hornet take a good look at it here or here
The Sir Douglas Bader Trophy (Best Individual Flying Demonstration): Finnish Air Force - F/A-18C Hornet Capt. Arto Ukskoski

RIAT 2018:

The Sir Douglas Bader Trophy (Best Individual Flying Demonstration): Finnish Air Force - F/A-18C Hornet Capt. Lauri Mäkinen

It doesn´t hurt my affection at all that my son is currently doing his national service in the Air Force, training to become a Hornet mechanician :thumbsup:. V-P

P.S: Rich, do I need to write it down properly whether I´m in or not? :rofl2: 

• Like 1

I've been planning to convert a Hasegawa F-18 into the Black Eagle from the game Red Alert 2, which is a F-18 with the the wings flipped & a single tail. I'm guessing this is too fictional/what-if for this GB?

gallery_3_37_95675.jpg

beag_3d.gif

6 hours ago, Mig Eater said:

I've been planning to convert a Hasegawa F-18 into the Black Eagle from the game Red Alert 2, which is a F-18 with the the wings flipped & a single tail. I'm guessing this is too fictional/what-if for this GB?

gallery_3_37_95675.jpg

If its to Whiffy for this build there is always the current Whif build going on ? 😉

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

If its to Whiffy for this build there is always the current Whif build going on ? 😉

It would fit in that GB perfectly, but I dont think I could work on two different GB's at the same time right now so just looking for alternatives.

• Like 1