Fokker C.VIII W, scratch, 1/48

Dear members,

Fokker designed and build quite a number of floatplanes for the Royal Dutch Navy (MLD).

One of them was the Fokker C.VII W, developed from a landplane version :the C.VIII, which did not made it in service of the LVA. (Dutch Army Air Corps)

Several years ago I build this model, but somehow it had some issues. I had difficulties to get the

floats lined up, I found out later, that the fuselage was short ( bad drawings) and later on, the covering of the wing was detorating, which I had noticed before with other models.

So I had to do some restoring, the wing was removed, cleaned and recovered with the well known aluminium tape.

At last I had some good drawings with the correct length of the fuselage. I discovered that only the section behind the cockpits needed lengthening.

I made some new and better struts for the floats, carefully lining up everything. And finally I made some beaching dollies.

I found also a nice video, where there are several types exercising.

http://in.beeldengeluid.nl/kanaal/1636-fokker/3880-oefening-van-de-nederlandse-marinevliegers

I hope you enjoy the model and show you one of the lesser known Fokkers.

With kind regards

JohnHaa

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by JohnHaa
type error
  • Like 10

A beautiful plane and model John! This strut maze is impressive. I'm still trying to find out how you make these great scratch models, and so many. I believe you have a clandestine source of rare model kits somewhere in the Dutch wilderness.

Cheers, Michael

Another absolute stunner John - beautiful in every possible way! That strut work is a work of art, both on the original and particularly on your model. Love the finish and detailing - the neat little Dollies finish it all off nicely.

Interesting little video on your link too - can't imaging a display these days with a submarine diving and resurfacing - and dropping a torpedo.

Cheers

Malcolm

Folks, thank you very much for your comments ! 

That strut work was a challenge indeed.   It took a lot of patience;  slowly working strut by strut. Most difficult was to make both sides the same height and length.

For Michael, I wish a had some secret supply store or factory ...!!! 🤣🤣  I'm afraid, in my overregulated small country, that would not be possible...:-)

Well I am an old guy, building models all his life,  I was about 10 (1960) that I started with a plastic bagged Airfix Soptwith Camel in 1/72. I still have the label ....

And Malcolm glad you liked the video, I still wonder about the quality of the filming in those times.

With greetings,

JohnHaa