R.A.F. Sabre Mk4.......

mackem01

My current projects are suffering something of a bottleneck at the moment and I'm looking for something to keep my juices flowing. I have a Monogram F86F boxing,

kit no 5427 with decals for The Huff. I'm asking you (Sabre buffs in particular) if it's possible to convert it to an F.Mk4 and if so what needs to be done. I'm sorry, I know

this subject crops up quite regularly, but I can't seem to find any relevant posts so any help of pointers would be greatly received. If the kit can't be used to do an F.Mk4

then is it good for any other Mks?

T.I.A......

Edited by mackem01

For all things RAF Sabre, you ought to buy Duncan's "The Canadair Sabre in RAF Service". 

Tony(a displaced mackem)

PS  appendix 2 has the list of serials that  had the 6-3 wing installed at the factory,  the 6-3 wing started being factory installed with 19801.

Edited by Tony Edmundson
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Tony Edmundson said:

For all things RAF Sabre, you ought to buy Duncan's "The Canadair Sabre in RAF Service". 

Tony(a displaced mackem)

PS  appendix 2 has the list of serials that  had the 6-3 wing installed at the factory,  the 6-3 wing started being factory installed with 19801.

Nice one Tony: I knew it was somewhere. I'd forgotten about that book! ;)

Edited by Sabrejet
  • Haha 3

As per Milberry's Sabre book c/n 701 (XD780) started the 6-3 non-slatted wing. I always prefer the use of constructor numbers but hope this helps with the RAF serial.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ossington said:

If the very front of the wing (right at the leading edge of the root) is attached to the fold-down ammo door when open (like in the pic above) then its the 6-3 wing.

In the beginning, it was a removable corner of leading edge, later they simply attached it to the ammo door.

Tony

check Sabrejet’s first pic above

Edited by Tony Edmundson

3 hours ago, Tony Edmundson said:

In the beginning, it was a removable corner of leading edge, later they simply attached it to the ammo door.

Tony

check Sabrejet’s first pic above

Yep- I've seen it done three ways- removed and placed on the wing or on the ground; attached to a chain and dangling from the wing; attached to the ammo access door.

Mike

• Like 2

6 hours ago, rayprit said:

A past Britmodeller Sabre topic may help demystify the wing confusion...………...check thread 7 for diagrams of various wing configuratrion

the only 'mystified wing confusion' was introduced by  the posts from Jordi.    Every other post including the OP is nice and orderly.

We have it sorted 

Tony

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tony Edmundson said:

the only 'mystified wing confusion' was introduced by  the posts from Jordi.    Every other post including the OP is nice and orderly.

We have it sorted 

Tony

I find that whenever anybody on this and any other site decide to build an RAF Sabre, the wing characteristics comes up.....its so confusing to a beginner as to what wing and mods were incorporated into this aircraft.  People who know this aircraft reasonably well think that writing lots and lots of technical jargon will solve the problem, when in fact it only adds to it...……...a picture speaks a thousand words, a diagram even more to show the variations...…..my motto, or so I have been told is KISS  Keep It Simple Son!!!

I built a Sabre sometime ago and found Roger Lindsay's Cold War Shield and Duncan's book a great help...………..the forums on here have plenty of Sabre builds, all more or less  talking of confusion and covering of the wing chord.  I thought this one particular build that l showed explained to the beginner just what people are talking about when the subject of Sabre wing configuration is brought up

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jordi said:

Sorry if I caused confusion.  I have ordered the RAF Sabre book for my library.  

No one's perfect and with luck we never stop learning: you'll probably find a load of errors in that book too! :)

One thing I did notice is that the camouflage scheme on the RH side around the wing root is different on slatted aircraft versus the 6-3-winged aircraft camo: note how the demarcation meets at the wing root/leading edge on the hard-edge machine in the background and doesn't on the slatted version. I've looked at a lot of photos and for 2ATAF machines (blue undersides and higher demarcation), it seems widespread. Many camo schemes are quite flexible in their application areas but the RAF Sabre scheme was quite strictly adhered to.

These are 130 Sqn aircraft (photo John Oxenford) shown at the time they were being received by the squadron. 130 standardised on the 6-3 aircraft and sent the slatted Sabres elsewhere.

Image1

• Like 3

7 hours ago, rayprit said:

People who know this aircraft reasonably well think that writing lots and lots of technical jargon will solve the problem, when in fact it only adds to it

Sorry, some of us are aircraft engineers, we can't help but speak in that jargon.

What perhaps we're not very good at is understanding that there are people out there that don't understand the technicalities of what we're speaking about.

Edited by Wez
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

No one's perfect and with luck we never stop learning: you'll probably find a load of errors in that book too! :)

I have only found one to date, and that was because an old Modeldecal sheet had the same aircraft on it and a small picture.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mackem01 said:

Gents, thanks for all those very thorough answers - every one has helped in some way. Armed with this info I will be off to terrify some plastic. Wipe to follow (and more questions no doubt!).

Cheers...

Looking forward to it: we're happy to help. 👍

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jordi said:

Um... I did.  Does that change the fact that I find it interesting that one aircraft has slats and the other does not?  I’m confused by your confusion.

Your comment was more of a statement that one was slatted and the other not whereby Ducan had already made that comment.