***finished*** RAF Galaxy KC1 and typhoon

On 12/18/2019 at 10:01 AM, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

No, from a conversion I got some time ago, now long OOP

Didn’t event know such was produced, no wonder it’s OOP given the rarity of the Revell kit, hopefully like with the 767 due out soon they will reissue it one day. Anyway sorted the pylons, now just sanding them in as the plasticard is narrower 

49242214706_59237a85ba_b.jpg

Edited by PhantomBigStu

Having spent three years on BAES's attempt to win the FSTA project with Boeing 767s (OK, the first year with A310s), I'm particularly interesting to see this build.  We eventually finished second convinced that the winners had not allowed for all the costs involved, something proven by them going bleating to the Ministry for more money not long afterwards.

Though to be fair, it would not be uncommon to have the RAF adding lots of additional demands after the contract signing, without wishing to pay an extra penny.  But being out of the loop by then, I cannot say that it actually happened that way.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Didn’t event know such was produced, no wonder it’s OOP given the rarity of the Revell kit, hopefully like with the 767 due out soon they will reissue it one day. Anyway sorted the pylons, now just sanding them in as the plasticard is narrower 

Stu, it was a locally produced Aussie set from a back yard set up, not commercially produced. Only a limited number were made.

9 minutes ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Stu, it was a locally produced Aussie set from a back yard set up, not commercially produced. Only a limited number were made.

Is it the Hamilton Hobbies' conversion set - I've got one in the cupboard to build (one day)

Been fighting the decals among the festivities (The Revell decals were pants and the walkways needed spares box help) got a problem with the serial and raf lettering on the other side so probably will have to reprint my own in the morning, not a disaster as I can make the lettering bigger in line with the voyager and use a serial worn by one 

49274939677_912e41b88e_b.jpg

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 5

Chances of finishing this before the new year now look unlikely whilst I have just designed the decals, had to order some clear decal paper and I could either get it today and pay £15 or monday for £8, could still make it if it does arrive early on monday 

49279267881_1632dc14c3_b.jpg

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 2

Not happy, used the RGB colour for the font and came out quite different to the fuselage stripe, which looks true to life so I’ll have to have another go, hopefully can get them printed, glossed and on in time to varnish the whole thing before the year is out 

49298590697_4df6f266c2_b.jpg

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1

When I first tried printing decs I too used the "correct" colour values, but by the time my printer had finished with them they very rarely matched. I have tried painting my own "colour chips" and scanning them and that has worked for some colours such as Mr Hobby 304 Olive Drab, but I usually have to print a test shot, compare with the colour I want to match, adjust, test again and so on until I get it close enough. Normal bog standard monitors, printers and scanners all seem to have a built in "error" when it comes to colour - more expensive models may be more accurate, but in my case I have to revert to trial and error. Mind you, bought decals often suffer a similar problem as witness the variations in roundel red, blue etc.

Cheers

Pete