Hello All

This is the Italeri repop of the AMT 1/72nd scale XB-70, probably the most beautiful aircraft that ever flew.

Years ago, I saw a picture of one of these landing at Edwards with the nosewheel still in the air, and lots of bits deployed. I always wanted to build it and I finally managed it.

The kit is well known, and not an easy build. Any part that fits is purely coincidental, with araldite being the adhesive of choice.

I used the SAC undercarriage for added strength and some resin wheels, apart from that everything is from the box.

I did enjoy the build even with all the difficulties.

I hope you enjoy the pictures.

Ted

IMG_3595_zpskphqguxv.jpg

IMG_3596_zpscjsjrp0t.jpg

IMG_3597_zpsoc6xrlha.jpg

IMG_3598_zpspml7kjzx.jpg

IMG_3599_zpscrw7l2o5.jpg

IMG_3600_zpsjeylktf4.jpg

IMG_3601_zps4htrme58.jpg

IMG_3602_zps9luskklh.jpg

IMG_3603_zpsjrtqufdg.jpg

• Like 51

4 hours ago, Paul J said:

Coo! Nice work indeed.  

I don't know  very much about the XB-70 but why the white winshield glazing...??

Maybe the masking is still on?

AW

12 hours ago, Rhino said:

probably the most beautiful aircraft that ever flew.

I once heard it described as; a swan pulling a banana boat. I have built that kit and it is not an easy job, nice work.

Great job in finishing it. It is a massive task that kit. Cool rendition of an iconic plane.

Have on one the back bench at the moment (not quite shelf of doom but almost). Trying to improve the elevons to replace the chunky unseparated ones in the kit. Will get there one day

9 hours ago, Paul J said:

Coo! Nice work indeed.  

I don't know  very much about the XB-70 but why the white winshield glazing...??

Sorry about that, Iforgot to remove the masking and didn't notice until I'd put up the pictures.

Cracking model, very well presented. Not easy making all over white look so flawless either, very well done!

Have to completely disagree on the 'most beautiful aircraft' though, to me it's quite the opposite! All down to personal taste of course. I'd say the Hunter, Victor and Vulcan!

Hi All

First, many thanks for looking and the kind comments, they are appreciated.

As I didn't quite complete the model in the original shots, I thought I would add the following pictures, this time without the masking tape on the windows. Hopefully this will cure any cofusion.

Thanks for looking.

Ted

DSCN0001_zpstl0vl0b6.jpg

DSCN0003_zpskf1pxs0v.jpg

DSCN0004_zpst2fydh2x.jpg

DSCN0005_zpsg0j5yq93.jpg

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Yorkshire man said:

All I can say is tyres (paint in need of) !

The tyres were painted silver on the real thing for heat resistance at Mach 3. Some pics show the tread as black after a few flights, but that is not what I was after.

3 hours ago, Rhino said:

The tyres were painted silver on the real thing for heat resistance at Mach 3. Some pics show the tread as black after a few flights, but that is not what I was after.

I stand corrected. Looks odd though! Hard to imagine a coat of silver paint made much difference?

spacer.png

10 hours ago, Rhino said:

I too stand corrupted!