M-55 Geophysica from Modelsvit

With all the major components in place, it's time for a coat of grey primer.......

Top View....

spacer.png

.... and the undersides...

spacer.png

It is getting hard to handle now - it's just so BIG..... trying to hold it without knocking the wings.....:analintruder:

Ken

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Seasons Greetings.......

Some slow progress.......

The K-36 ejection seat is made up from 22 Parts......  :analintruder:

This isn't so much modelling as micro-surgery - especially at my age with failing eyesight !

It isn't helped by the fact the some of the mm-sized parts have flash to be cleaned off - anyway here's the result...

spacer.png

Here's my ham-fisted attemp - there is an etched-brass harness still to be added !!!

spacer.png

Meanwhile, the airframe has had a couple of coats of Halfords White Plastic Primer (from a rattle can) - followed by a misted top coat of Halfords Appliance White (rattle can).....

spacer.png

The lower fuselage now has to be masked off for a coat of Light Aircraft Grey (I'm using Halfords Ford Polar Grey - which is a good match)...

spacer.png

Then it's more masking for the blue wing and tailplane leading edges plus the canopy surround, followed by the red wing and taiplane tips.

Have a Great Christmas....

Ken

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

Some little progress.... she's all painted up now - ready for the decals.....

spacer.png

Trying to hold the model whilst applying the masking, then brush painting the blue, red and black was like trying to wrestle a set of bagpipes....

spacer.png

Modesvit provide self-adhesive masks for the blue areas around the cockpit and the black panel on the spine - but for the the rest I used Tamiya Kabuki tape.....

spacer.png

My masking was not very successful - I had some ragged edges and bleed under the tape in places - it's OK if you don't look too closely......

Holding it whilst applying the fuselage decals without damaging anything is going to be interesting....

Ken

• Like 7

I was sad that this wasn't available in 1/48, as  it would have been a nice 'What-If' Stablemate to go alongside my ancient  Italeri U2-C kit.........

But if its 52cm wingspan at 1/72............. 🤪

Looking great though...... and good work with that ejection seat.... 22 parts at that scale would probably end up with half dozen of the smaller parts sacrificed to the carpet monster! 

The decalling is now done.......

spacer.png

.... apart from the trillions of tiny yellow 'hook here' symbols and stencil data etc...

The decals are superb - perfectly readable and in register - they all went on with the minimum of fuss. I used Microsol - but probably didn't need to.

A closer view of the dozens of sponsors logos along the fuselage....

spacer.png

Underside view....

spacer.png

A closer look at those logos - all individual decals a few mm in diameter......

spacer.png

I can't think of a reason why but not all of the decals were oriented vertically - which led to a couple of mistakes until I spotted it...

spacer.png

Once you know about it, the decal placement artwork is just about good enough to see which way up they go.....

And.... confusingly(at least to me!), the decal placement guide is not in numerical sequence - left to right it's decals 6,5,8,3,2 etc

A minor issue that isn't really a problem....

Here's a couple of pics I took at MAKS 2013 - showing the real thing......

spacer.png

This shows how good the Modelsvit decals really are...

spacer.png

Now to tackle all those stencil decals.....

Ken

• Like 5