‘Air Berlin’ Airbus A320 in 1/144

I present my Revell Airbus A320 in 1/144, in the sadly no longer with us, Air Berlin livery.

This build was OOB even using the Kit Decals and complimented with AA Cockpit and Cabin Decals. The background story of this build wasn’t a good one, it has sat on my shelf for a long time now feeling sorry for itself as I had made a major error trying to fix the Cockpit Windscreen clear part, and it was an horrific mess. Having started using AA Decals I decided to try and give it a new lease of life and give it a livery to take up it’s place on my shelves. I filled and sanded then filled and sanded some more to try and get a smooth and even finish on the cockpit.

The masking job was fun... the kit instructions advise photocopying the decals and cutting out the red and silver lines to use as a template mask for the red lower fuselage and tail. I did this then finely drew a pencil line to mark off the fuselage then used that as my guide to achieving the Red section using my tamiya masking tape to hopefully achieve a cleaner finish using the paintbrush... I’m not fully happy with it, but it is looking ten times better than how it did doing nothing...

The White was brush painted using Humbrol 22 Gloss white and the red section was Humbrol Red 60, which is a Matt finish. The kit recommends using Revell Gloss Red, but I was out of that and I don’t think it looks too much off colour. Wings and stabilisers are Revell 371 and my own lightened mix of Revell 374 Aqua colours for the coroguard sections. Silver 90 leading edges. 

Thank you for looking and as always any constructive criticism or feedback is very much appreciated... she’s not my favourite as I don’t think it looks like a particularly clean overall finish.

Regards,

Alistair

Air Berlin A320

Air Berlin A320

Air Berlin A320

Air Berlin A320

Air Berlin A320

Air Berlin A320

Air Berlin A320

Air Berlin A320

Air Berlin A320

Air Berlin A320

Air Berlin A320

Air Berlin A320

Air Berlin A320

Air Berlin A320

48919017117_d01392f711_b.jpg

Air Berlin A320

Air Berlin A320

Air Berlin A320

Air Berlin A320

Edited by Scotsman07
  • Like 30

very, very nice. Those AA flight deck decals really add the finishing touch. Having read your overview of how you achieved the fuselage colour divide, it really is a reminder to all that building civil aircraft is not as simple and easy as it might appear - there is plenty of planning required, much masking and the ability to produce straight lines without bleed to be an essential dark art.

She looks good parked up for the night - I see the cleaners/cabin crew have not prepared the aircraft for a dry start up as the window blinds have not been opened up fully for pre-flight CAA standard guidelines !!

10/10 on your build - its good to see this kit actually assembled for once - I've seen it on the shelves over the years but never assembled,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very nice model Alistair. The Revell A320 is still a fine kit and builds up well. It's rare to see a model finished with the decals that came in the box (I've probably only used the kit decals four or five times in the last decade) but Revell decals are usually pretty decent and work well.

My sister has lived in Germany since the 1980s and I always try to fit in some spotting when I'm visiting. German airports, particularly STR and DUS, looked a bit odd and colourless after AB went bust. I don't know the ins and outs but it seemed a much more controlled winding-down than the sudden collapse of Thomas Cook.

Anyhow, glad to see that you decided to give the model another lease of life and congratulations on such a good result.

Dave G

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Gimme Shelter said:

very, very nice. Those AA flight deck decals really add the finishing touch. Having read your overview of how you achieved the fuselage colour divide, it really is a reminder to all that building civil aircraft is not as simple and easy as it might appear - there is plenty of planning required, much masking and the ability to produce straight lines without bleed to be an essential dark art.

She looks good parked up for the night - I see the cleaners/cabin crew have not prepared the aircraft for a dry start up as the window blinds have not been opened up fully for pre-flight CAA standard guidelines !!

10/10 on your build - its good to see this kit actually assembled for once - I've seen it on the shelves over the years but never assembled,

Thank you, I agree with you there 100%. I had a discussion with someone else who only builds military aircraft, that he admires civil modellers as Airliners have clean lines and paint jobs, that require getting the balance of weathering right at such a smaller scale...

She has been left in her ‘inflight’ mode. When o was crew the amount of times you’d ask people to lift them for Takeoff and Landing for them to go and put them down again 😡.

Thank you, I must admit it’s rare to see a kit being made with the supplied decals, I am currently making a ‘Germanwings’ A320 in the old silver livery using leftover kit decals...

Alistair

8 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

Very nice model Alistair. The Revell A320 is still a fine kit and builds up well. It's rare to see a model finished with the decals that came in the box (I've probably only used the kit decals four or five times in the last decade) but Revell decals are usually pretty decent and work well.

My sister has lived in Germany since the 1980s and I always try to fit in some spotting when I'm visiting. German airports, particularly STR and DUS, looked a bit odd and colourless after AB went bust. I don't know the ins and outs but it seemed a much more controlled winding-down than the sudden collapse of Thomas Cook.

Anyhow, glad to see that you decided to give the model another least of life and congratulations on such a good result.

Dave G

Thank you Dave, I must admit it was sad to see them wind down, the vibrant red of their scheme would dominate a pier at many German Airports... 

I must admit using the Kit Decals is rare, but I am currently working on another A320 in the old Germanwings livery using leftover decals.

Alistair

9 hours ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Another masterpiece from your production line!👍

Thank you, appreciate that 😀.

7 hours ago, halcyonjet said:

Despite the problems you encountered, you've certainly triumphed in the end. A cracking job!

Dave

Thank you Dave, a lot of patience was required along the way haha.

Alistair

very nice, not sure if I flew on that particular aircraft but I used Air Berlin flying between Stanstead and Munster for around a year as they had a good loyalty program and it was less then £100 return. Always prefered them to orange operator.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Paul J said:

Nice work.

Just as a small matter of interest, the company I am working for bought up a whole load of spares from the defunct airline. 

Thank you, oh really. It’s always really sad to see an airline disappear. I am tempted to do a Monarch A320 in the retro scheme.

Alistair

3 hours ago, neil5208 said:

very nice, not sure if I flew on that particular aircraft but I used Air Berlin flying between Stanstead and Munster for around a year as they had a good loyalty program and it was less then £100 return. Always prefered them to orange operator.

Thank you, I never flew with them but I always liked their livery, it was just right enough for it to stand out amongst a sea of ‘white whales’.

Hi Alistair,

Steady on I can't keep up you're really churning them out just lately! Yet another great Airbus and I really like the livery too. Kit decals.... now there's a novelty! Although you did also do the Etihad A320 too. Maybe I should use some of my kit decals I've surely got enough of them!

I'd say the red you used is spot on for Air Berlin it certainly matches the decal very well.

So are you going to brush paint the Germanwings silver? Very tricky I'd imagine might be better with a spray can. You'll probably prove me wrong though!!

Cheers,

Ian

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Turbofan said:

Hi Alistair,

Steady on I can't keep up you're really churning them out just lately! Yet another great Airbus and I really like the livery too. Kit decals.... now there's a novelty! Although you did also do the Etihad A320 too. Maybe I should use some of my kit decals I've surely got enough of them!

I'd say the red you used is spot on for Air Berlin it certainly matches the decal very well.

So are you going to brush paint the Germanwings silver? Very tricky I'd imagine might be better with a spray can. You'll probably prove me wrong though!!

Cheers,

Ian

Thanks Ian, that is very true and I am going to be using the kit decals for the Germanwings so that’ll be 3 haha. I am glad you think the red looks ok, as I thought it was too dark to begin with when I was painting but it seemed to come round ok after glossing.

I have brush painted the Germanwings ☹️, it’s not brilliant and I don’t think I am happy with it so I am going for a ‘hardworking airframe’ look with the effect, have added a few photos too...

Regards,

Alistair

48925493823_d454fff461_b.jpg 48926027826_665204c48f_b.jpg 48926224332_20284b01e9_b.jpg 48925492943_1842502165_b.jpg 48926223032_fcf23e7418_b.jpg

• Like 1

Lovely build mate!

allthough a sad thing for me now, but i flew this bird a few times 😕

i will definetly build the same one some time, but i want to improve my skills for this important model :)

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, RCI said:

Lovely build mate!

allthough a sad thing for me now, but i flew this bird a few times 😕

i will definetly build the same one some time, but i want to improve my skills for this important model :)

Thank you 😃, did you fly it as a Pilot or a passenger, that’s really cool? I look forward to seeing you built model in the future mate, she is awkward to mask off and get the lines right... I’ve had the decals for ages but always used aftermarket ones for the actual product. I’ve always wanted to build it but was always too nervous... still was when I actually built it 😳.

Alistair

8 hours ago, Graeme H said:

The model is looking good, but such a sad reminder, don't think I could do that scheme, in fact I just offloaded one those boxings.

Thank you, yeah is definitely very sad indeed. Always very sad to lose an airline, it’s so competitive out there...

Very nice indeed. It's a very nice scheme and a shame we no longer see them flying around since the airline went bust.

I ended up abandoning the build of my Revell one, it's an old and badly fitting kit, I think I'm going to do an aeroflot one from Zvezda one day.

17 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Very nice indeed. It's a very nice scheme and a shame we no longer see them flying around since the airline went bust.

I ended up abandoning the build of my Revell one, it's an old and badly fitting kit, I think I'm going to do an aeroflot one from Zvezda one day.

Thank you Adam, I agree. The Revell kit is showing it’s age, and I am looking forward to seeing what the Neo kits are like... the Zvezda kit literally falls together and I do highly recommend it... I might do an Aeroflot one too, the only thing that lets the Zvezda kit down is the quality of the decals.

5 hours ago, Scotsman07 said:

Thank you 😃, did you fly it as a Pilot or a passenger, that’s really cool? I look forward to seeing you built model in the future mate, she is awkward to mask off and get the lines right... I’ve had the decals for ages but always used aftermarket ones for the actual product. I’ve always wanted to build it but was always too nervous... still was when I actually built it 😳.

as I Pilot. By the way the decal color is not correct, the fine line is not silver, it’s light grey. I think Revell missed it...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RCI said:

as I Pilot. By the way the decal color is not correct, the fine line is not silver, it’s light grey. I think Revell missed it...

Oh wow, that’s really cool 👍🏻. I used to be CC for EasyJet for while before becoming a Train Driver... oh really, that’s annoying ☹️...