Norwegian Navy Ju 52/3m

leyreynolds

This page is in Norwegian, but a run through Google Translate should provide you with some of the information you need:

http://forsvaretsmuseer.no/Marinemuseet/Sjoeforsvaret-organisasjon-avdelinger-og-drift-1814-2016/MARINENS-FLYVEVAAPEN-1912-1944/Flyene-i-Marinens-flygevaapen/JUNKERS-JU52-3M-1940 

By the looks of it, they retained the civilian colour scheme of overall silver and black, while only adding flag stripes to the wings and rudder. Armament consisted of two M/29 machine guns (licence-built Browning M1917). 

Also, the DP Casper decal sheets for Operation Weserübung contains the scheme for this particular aircraft (no. 400).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Boffin79 said:

This page is in Norwegian, but a run through Google Translate should provide you with some of the information you need:

http://forsvaretsmuseer.no/Marinemuseet/Sjoeforsvaret-organisasjon-avdelinger-og-drift-1814-2016/MARINENS-FLYVEVAAPEN-1912-1944/Flyene-i-Marinens-flygevaapen/JUNKERS-JU52-3M-1940 

By the looks of it, they retained the civilian colour scheme of overall silver and black, while only adding flag stripes to the wings and rudder. Armament consisted of two M/29 machine guns (licence-built Browning M1917). 

Also, the DP Casper decal sheets for Operation Weserübung contains the scheme for this particular aircraft (no. 400).

Thanks for the info', it's just what I need.

Ley

14 hours ago, Boffin79 said:

The photo in this article is not F.400 but a 1945 photo of another DNL aircraft.

F.400, with its military installations and colour scheme will be described in detail in a forthcoming book by Rob Mulder.

Nils

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Vingtor said:

The photo in this article is not F.400 but a 1945 photo of another DNL aircraft.

Yes, should have noted that in my post, but figured it would be obvious as the aircraft in the picture carries an RAF C-type roundel, and the article states that F.400 was captured by the Germans in 1940 and then lost in 1943. The drawing at the bottom is probably closer to the truth. 

In book "Marines Flygevapen 1912-1945" by B.Hafsten and T.Arnheim  (I bough it in Oslo some year ago) on page 125 there are two photos of Ju 52 F.400 from 1940. They confirms in basic principles scheme from link below

11 hours ago, Vingtor said:

Junkers-Ju52-3mb_large.jpg 

However:

1. the floates are of dark colour (but not black) and strongly wethered (sides became almost NMF - not too much paint left on their sides)

2. The black areas on wings are wider going on insides to half distance to fuselage, and outside engines are also wider and have curve (concave) toward the wingtip.

3. I am not sure that the whole machine is in alu colour. It looks like light grey or some other ligh colour but rather paint (matt) not metal.

PM me your e-mail if you need more.

Regards

J-W

I did these drawings a few years ago. The aircraft were delivered in "Emaillelack, hellgrau, Nr. 54", according to a letter from DLH to DNL, 1937. F.400 (ex. LN-DAI) was possibly repainted for its military service.

Modellers should notice that this is the civil variant, with various features that would be very hard to modify from a kit of the military version. The Revell 1/48 civil Ju 52 would be a good starting point though. Also note that there were two types of floats used on the Ju 52. Originally (as on F.400) Junkers manufactured floats. During the war, more streamlined Heinkel manufactured floats came into use. Many aircraft had their Junkers floats replaced by Heinkel floats.

Nils

Ju52.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Vingtor said:

I did these drawings a few years ago. The aircraft were delivered in "Emaillelack, hellgrau, Nr. 54", according to a letter from DLH to DNL, 1937. F.400 (ex. LN-DAI) was possibly repainted for its military service.

Modellers should notice that this is the civil variant, with various features that would be very hard to modify from a kit of the military version. The Revell 1/48 civil Ju 52 would be a good starting point though. Also note that there were two types of floats used on the Ju 52. Originally (as on F.400) Junkers manufactured floats. During the war, more streamlined Heinkel manufactured floats came into use. Many aircraft had their Junkers floats replaced by Heinkel floats.

Nils

Nils, very nice profiles! So you interpreted floats as black. And overall is ligh grey, like of Douglas DT or Hover MF 11 from pre-war time? As for civil Ju-52 the "F.400" has a bit surprising both ventra and dorsal MGs position, looking very similar to the original, Junkers Ju52 bomber type...Was the conversion done with help of Junkers factory?

Regards

J-W