I hate photo etch

Walter

On 10/18/2019 at 3:12 AM, Luka said:

Haven't started the build yet, but I purchased the turned brass FuG 220 from Master. I think those look pretty good.

Do try this!!!

Master makes a MiG-21MF pitot with DUA's that also has interlocking construction. That made all the difference to me as I had literally been struggling for DAYS trying to build the part that Academy provided.

Got two 1/48 aircraft models on the go ,what i saying ,well these two i have used the Eduard photo etch kits for the cockpits .

The kits are the Academy P36 and the Italeri A36 ,the seat harness are ok and make a great improvement ,used the kit decal for the IP in the A36 .

The Academy IP i painted the IP white first then put the film and IP together ,it makes the dials stand out a little bit better .

I find the instructions in the Eduard PE sets to be a bit vague sometimes .

The tool I described in post 16 is exactly as simple as that, a flat length of aluminium strip or brass. I've even used a piece of wood, but of at least three to four mm thick. It's just got to stand very hot water for  about 20 seconds.  I last used the technique about 5 years ago and I still have a box of Nylon rods somewhere. If I can find time I will find it and photograph it. but it may have gone to landfill like much of the old workshop.  Most fishing line comes on a reel  or bobbin and all you are doing is removing the manufacture induced curve by tensioning it straight it using hot water, and retaining the straightness by cooling it,

John

Don’t forget those tweezers that you have to press together to open the jaws. Fiddly at first but you get used to them, very helpful for handling etch.

Steve.

• Like 1

The tool I described in post 16 is exactly as simple as that, a flat length of aluminium strip or brass. I've even used a piece of wood, but of at least three to four mm thick. It's just got to stand very hot water for  about 20 seconds.  I last used the technique about 5 years ago and I still have a box of Nylon rods somewhere. If I can find time I will find it and photograph it. but it may have gone to landfill like much of the old workshop.

John

spacer.png