1/48 Halifax 346 Sqn PN365 (H7-B) - Finished!

woody37

Good to see your observations Neil.

Keep it up, I have been doing some more scratchbuilding this weekend on the interior and it's shaping up nicely, see my LSM thread.

That Defiant turret really makes a difference. Thanks for trying out it's fit🙂

Cheers
Cees

• Like 1

I've been playing around with the cockpit transparencies this evening and fiddly little blighters they are. The rear piece is separate from the forwards piece and very thin too so it's going to be difficult to get them neatly aligned due to flex. I'm going to have a bash at making a former for a single piece section out of thicker plastic. It's not the easiest shape due to the differing side heights but all part of the fun. My plan is to make a frame out of plastic then fill it with P38 and sand to final shape. If successful, I may do the nose cone the same way.

spacer.png

spacer.png

And in other news, the brass rods supporting the tail feathers...

spacer.png

Hopefully I'll get the former knocked up this weekend :)

Cheers

• Like 10

On 12/8/2019 at 9:23 PM, TheBaron said:

Love the calm sense of observation  and method this build gives off Neil.

Nicely put.  Tis noticeable how a Woody build generally appears to serenely progresse.....no matter the obstructiveness of the base kit :)

On 12/8/2019 at 9:23 PM, TheBaron said:

Hugely impressive work.

Have to agree with that tho’ ;)

• Like 2

On 12/8/2019 at 1:11 AM, Turbofan said:

Like an airliner or two!? See if you can beat Chris he's nearly finished his A300:tease:

Ian

There are quite a few that I've "nearly finished".  SO THERE!!!!!!   :wicked:

Chris

• Haha 1

On 12/11/2019 at 10:26 PM, Fritag said:

Nicely put.  Tis noticeable how a Woody build generally appears to serenely progresse.....no matter the obstructiveness of the base kit :)

Imagine a swan. What you see is the finished element of the build swimming gracefully across the water. Underneath the waterline, the swear box is overflowing, there’s blood everywhere from slipped scalpel knives and theres a tension in Woodyland comparable to the Months leading up to our involvement in WWII 😂

On 12/12/2019 at 12:19 AM, stringbag said:

There are quite a few that I've "nearly finished".  SO THERE!!!!!!   :wicked:

Chris

Prove it :wicked:

• Haha 3

Just caught up with this Woody.  You are progressing famously on a known pig of a kit. 

I have a Tamiya Beaufighter complete with Cutting edge resin Hercules engines, but sans some clear parts. I was wondering what to do with it but you have given me the idea of flogging it to FM Halifax  builders for parts now:like:

Regards

Bruce

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

That rear cockpit transparency is the wrong profile, and it doesn't take kindly to reshaping. Getting a match is almost impossible.

Pain in the backside so I've started to build a former to make a one piece transparency

14 hours ago, pacificmustang said:

Just caught up with this Woody.  You are progressing famously on a known pig of a kit. 

I have a Tamiya Beaufighter complete with Cutting edge resin Hercules engines, but sans some clear parts. I was wondering what to do with it but you have given me the idea of flogging it to FM Halifax  builders for parts now:like:

Regards

Bruce

Alternatively, if you want to build the Beau, you can have my transparencies, let me know :)

I've started to build the former so that I can form a new one piece canopy. Getting it to be a perfect width for the fuselage is difficult so I'm building it approximate and will adjust the width of the fuselage to match when done. It's not finished tey, but you get the idea. I'll fill it with P38 filler, sand and smooth off and it should be good for a few forms. Again, I'm not too bothered if it's not perfect as long as it looks generally right. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 11

That cockpit looks like it’s going to be a huge improvement. If you make some extras I’d gladly buy one from you for when I resurrect my build!

Tom

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cees Broere said:

That master looks promising Neil,

Very curious how the canopy will turn out. In the meantime I am still concentrating on the interior details.

Cheers

Cees

3 hours ago, tomprobert said:

That cockpit looks like it’s going to be a huge improvement. If you make some extras I’d gladly buy one from you for when I resurrect my build!

Tom

If they come out alright, I'll run a few more copies off. I've filled the former now so next step is some high build primer to allow me to polish out any imperfections. Before I do that. I'm thinking of drilling a hole where the dome goes, partly for vacuum and partly to act as a centre for when I cut the hole out

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 18

4 hours ago, Cees Broere said:

That looks wonderful already. I really would like a copy of that. Although I haven't made it myself easy by modifying the starboard windscreen cut out in the fuselage to Halifax specs. Oh well.
Cheers

Cees

Hi Cees, 

The cast will be over size so can be trimmed to suit the cut out depth. I'm planning to take the same approach so the shape has been made to suit the mods you've done at the front left hand side :)

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

That does look good. I can see a retro fit coming up if you have spares. Mine is attached with Clearfix and framed with Tamiya tape, so it should be straightforward.

I’ll let you know how I get on. The only risk being if the width doesn’t match your finished fuselage

• Like 1