Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

woody37

1/48 Halifax 346 Sqn PN365 (H7-B)

Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, Mancunian airman said:

Is it me or do the outer wings, from the outer engine to the wingtip, loo a bit short on Bentwaters Halifax compared to Woody's ?

 

There is much to be admired in getting this Halifax kit to the paint stage and I wish you good luck with the rest of the build . . .

Camera angle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's been a busy week preparing...and recovering from the missus 50th birthday party. We went for a 60's theme as she scraped into that decade, me being a toy boy, I've got a couple of years to go yet until it's my celebrations!!

 

spacer.png

 

Meanwhile, the workbench has been brought back out after a temporary clean up and I carried on working on the wings. I've started to detail the wing bomb cells and rivet the wing surfaces. I'm not going for complete accuracy, just a general layout as I don't want to get lost in stuff that detracts from keeping the build fun.

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

This isn't finished yet, there's more stuff to go in

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

Cheers

Neil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, woody37 said:

60's theme

Dare you to wear that outfit to Telford Neil!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, woody37 said:

It's been a busy week preparing...and recovering from the missus 50th birthday party. We went for a 60's theme as she scraped into that decade, me being a toy boy, I've got a couple of years to go yet until it's my celebrations!!

 

spacer.png

 

Meanwhile, the workbench has been brought back out after a temporary clean up and I carried on working on the wings. I've started to detail the wing bomb cells and rivet the wing surfaces. I'm not going for complete accuracy, just a general layout as I don't want to get lost in stuff that detracts from keeping the build fun.

 

spacer.png

 

Cheers

Neil

YEAH BABY!!! ...... The riveting is great too,......I take it that t is a spin wheel? The model is coming along in typical Woody style Neil,

 

All the best

                  Tony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Turbofan said:

Dare you to wear that outfit to Telford Neil!

I've seen stranger there mate 😂

17 minutes ago, tonyot said:

YEAH BABY!!! ...... The riveting is great too,......I take it that t is a spin wheel? The model is coming along in typical Woody style Neil,

 

All the best

                  Tony

That's the dining room clock mate! Cheers :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, woody37 said:

I've seen stranger there mate 😂

Yes I know what you mean! Still each to their own, perhaps you should wear your wife's outfit instead then :giggle: :bleh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Turbofan said:

 perhaps you should wear your wife's outfit instead then :giggle: :bleh:

You obviously haven't been to Neil's place then. 

 

It's not a pretty sight I can tell you.  I'm used to seeing him in a wig, but the stockings take a bit of getting used to..  He just hasn't got the legs for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Woody37,

 

Gee that’s your wife….she looks like your daughter! Hmmm………..the things we do for love and it looks like you two had a great night.

 

My Halifax kit wings are giving me trouble....stuck'em together and both are different. I guess that's what you get with a limited run kit.

 

Ok back to the serious stuff. Good work there on the wings. Gee I can never get those rivet lines straight with my huge hands so I think I will leave’em out on mine. I was wondering if you Halifax buffs know what angle those Herc’s stick upward from the center-line of the wing airfoil. Seems FM forgots to do this? My Halifax kit wings are giving me trouble....stuck'em together and both are different. I guess that's what you get with a limited run kit. You never cam over and looked at my build on HS Mr. Woody?

 

Keep the good work up ...M8!

 

Phil.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, stringbag said:

You obviously haven't been to Neil's place then. 

 

It's not a pretty sight I can tell you.  I'm used to seeing him in a wig, but the stockings take a bit of getting used to..  He just hasn't got the legs for that.

I told you to keep quiet about that 😂

5 hours ago, LongMan2 said:

Hi Woody37,

 

Gee that’s your wife….she looks like your daughter! Hmmm………..the things we do for love and it looks like you two had a great night.

 

My Halifax kit wings are giving me trouble....stuck'em together and both are different. I guess that's what you get with a limited run kit.

 

Ok back to the serious stuff. Good work there on the wings. Gee I can never get those rivet lines straight with my huge hands so I think I will leave’em out on mine. I was wondering if you Halifax buffs know what angle those Herc’s stick upward from the center-line of the wing airfoil. Seems FM forgots to do this? My Halifax kit wings are giving me trouble....stuck'em together and both are different. I guess that's what you get with a limited run kit. You never cam over and looked at my build on HS Mr. Woody?

 

Keep the good work up ...M8!

 

Phil.

She’s wearing better than me, must be all this super glue I sniff at the bench 😂😂

 

I was having a look through your build yesterday Phil but I’m not a member there so never left any comments. I can see one wing is more angled than the other. Can you ‘force’ the wing into a better profile with some internal bracing? I had to do the inner sleeves for the spar differently on each wing due to one wing sitting lower. One has more packing on the top of the wing to push it upwards against the spar. The riveting tool is the SBS one if I remember with a very small wheel. I find the ones with bigger wheels tend to wonder. These were all marked out with a pencil then done freehand over the line. Being a small wheel, it gets right up to corners too.

 

i dont know about the engine angle, I tend to go off ‘it looks right’ on dry fitting and if it doesn’t, play around until it does!

 

cheers

neil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, woody37 said:

I've seen stranger there mate 😂

That's the dining room clock mate! Cheers :)

LOL,... no I meant the riveting,..... was it a spin wheel riveting tool?

I love it when you get your teeth into a subject and go to town on it,..... usually because we end up with a decent kit being released once you`ve finished,....... so roll on the Airfix 1/48th Halifax LOL!! Keep up the brilliant work mate,

Cheers

          Tony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice rivetting on the wings Neil,

Hmm perhaps it's time I will do that for a first time too and on the Halifax, the plastic is soft enough.

 

Do you rivet freehand or use some sort of ruler to guide the tool?

 

On my kit the wings have a different thickness too. One is not completely parallel when seen from the front. Because I cut out the wingroots I managed to fit packing pieces to keep

every thing square-ish (but creating other problems in my case). Some things will have to be accepted when building this kit.

Cees

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, tonyot said:

LOL,... no I meant the riveting,..... was it a spin wheel riveting tool?

I love it when you get your teeth into a subject and go to town on it,..... usually because we end up with a decent kit being released once you`ve finished,....... so roll on the Airfix 1/48th Halifax LOL!! Keep up the brilliant work mate,

Cheers

          Tony

😂 yes, it's a tiny spinning wheel, I'll get a pic next time I'm doing some. Lol, I'm taking one for the team, I do hope so!!

 

Cheers

12 hours ago, Cees Broere said:

Nice rivetting on the wings Neil,

Hmm perhaps it's time I will do that for a first time too and on the Halifax, the plastic is soft enough.

 

Do you rivet freehand or use some sort of ruler to guide the tool?

 

On my kit the wings have a different thickness too. One is not completely parallel when seen from the front. Because I cut out the wingroots I managed to fit packing pieces to keep

every thing square-ish (but creating other problems in my case). Some things will have to be accepted when building this kit.

Cees

 

I draw the rivet line with a pencil and the edge of a flexible sanding stick then run the riveter over the line freehand. If you look closely, some of my lines aren't completely straight!

 

Look forwards to seeing how you tackle yours...just don't interrupt the big Manchester too much though!!

 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Neil.

Got to agree with the other lads here about the riveting Mate.  First class job indeed.

The whole project is looking pretty damned special I must say.

See you at the weekend.

 

Chris.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just found your build thread Neil, looking good as you did in your party suit! I be following closely, now I'm back. I let Photomukit pee me off so haven't posted anything for a few months!!!

 

Colin

 

PS Enjoy Telford if you are going?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, stringbag said:

Hi Neil.

Got to agree with the other lads here about the riveting Mate.  First class job indeed.

The whole project is looking pretty damned special I must say.

See you at the weekend.

 

Chris.

Cheers mate, see you ate the weekend :)

6 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Just found your build thread Neil, looking good as you did in your party suit! I be following closely, now I'm back. I let Photomukit pee me off so haven't posted anything for a few months!!!

 

Colin

 

PS Enjoy Telford if you are going?

Hi Colin, 

I use Flickr now and for a reasonable cost, it works brilliantly. That said, the price went up quite a bit this year so we'll see if that becomes a trend. Look forwards to seeing some more progress when you're not out on your African travels :)

 

There's a bit more detail to go in the bomb cells now but one wing is pretty much there. They are very simplistic compared to real ones but they will be underneath and painted black and with a bomb fitted, very little detail will be seen anyway

 

spacer.png

 

And the riveter @tonyot was asking about...

 

spacer.png

 

Cheers

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks excellent mate,...... is there a reason for leaving the outboard bomb housing closed? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wonderful detailing. This will look great when it is finished neither of which would have happened if I had continued with it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Looks excellent mate,...... is there a reason for leaving the outboard bomb housing closed? 

Neil May correct me here, but if memory serves me correctly, the Halifax III had a fuel tank in the outermost bay. 
 

Looking good by the way, Neil!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, tomprobert said:

Neil May correct me here, but if memory serves me correctly, the Halifax III had a fuel tank in the outermost bay. 
 

Looking good by the way, Neil!

Fair play Tom,....thought it might be that, after all the Halifax in Canada is displayed like this too;

22552836-10155907484639319-8566510829653

 

I`ve not seen it much on a bomber variant thoughm,,, maybe the item being winched into the inner bay here is a fuel cell?;

ch18670.jpg

 

 

Cheers

          Tony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Woody37,

 

Nice work keep at it M8. Was wondering where you gots the bomb racks?

 

To Tonyot : It looks like the bottom pic is from the original early Mk III which was converted from a Mk II. The pic looks to staged? to be a squadron ready aircraft IMHO. The bomb bay next to the engine bay on a Mk III and later marks was designated for a emergency fuel cell. The rack of incendiary bombs with the ground crew man has both his hands on is obviously not the red fuel cell. 

 

Phil.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/6/2019 at 8:09 PM, crobinsonh said:

Wonderful detailing. This will look great when it is finished neither of which would have happened if I had continued with it.

 

Thanks Colin,

 

The approach on the clear parts is the main area of concern / exploration at the moment, hopefully everything else is more predictable.

On 11/6/2019 at 9:20 PM, tonyot said:

Fair play Tom,....thought it might be that, after all the Halifax in Canada is displayed like this too;

22552836-10155907484639319-8566510829653

 

I`ve not seen it much on a bomber variant thoughm,,, maybe the item being winched into the inner bay here is a fuel cell?;

ch18670.jpg

 

 

Cheers

          Tony

I've only just noticed these posts on the thread, it does appear that the Mk.III only had two bays. Certainly the restoration in Canada did and PN365 being a late '44 build, I assumed that would too.

 

Big thanks to @Cees Broere for helping me out with a rear gear leg as I've lost mine so that's one less thing to make :)

 

Having been inspired by Telford yesterday, I got a bit of modelling done this afternoon so nearly finished detailing the wing bomb bays...

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

Also, the aileron trim tab protrudes out slightly from what I've seen so this was dealt with too

 

spacer.png

 

Next job is preparing the mating surfaces for the engines. The outer engine nacelle appears to not extend forwards enough so I've added a circular piece of 80 thou card. Each engine has also got a slightly smaller diameter piece glued to the front and P38 filler will be used to round the profile off where they taper under the cooling gills. I'll get some photo's in the week to explain what I mean. I've deliberated over the best way forwards on the engines and went for the high cost, low effort route of getting two Tamiya Beaufighters for a reasonable price off Ebay. Once they arrive, I'll do some final fettling to get everything nicely lined up and that's the wings pretty much done except for the rest of the riveting. 

 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/7/2019 at 3:05 AM, LongMan2 said:

Hi Woody37,

 

Nice work keep at it M8. Was wondering where you gots the bomb racks?

 

To Tonyot : It looks like the bottom pic is from the original early Mk III which was converted from a Mk II. The pic looks to staged? to be a squadron ready aircraft IMHO. The bomb bay next to the engine bay on a Mk III and later marks was designated for a emergency fuel cell. The rack of incendiary bombs with the ground crew man has both his hands on is obviously not the red fuel cell. 

 

Phil.

Hi Phil,

 

The bomb racks are largely home made out of plasticard but I used the bomb cradles and perforated surface from the Eduard set. I tried to use the Eduard set as they come but I couldn't get them to fold correctly!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Woody37,

 

Hmm, Mr Eduard again...will have to look into that one. I find it tough with some of Eduards early stuff to get it to fit. Wish they would jack up the 1/72 Revell Halifax bits to 1/48...but I'm dreaming there.

 

I'm still stuck on the outer engine nacelles because FM seems to have got it a little confused somewhat. I'm looking for wood to make a master for a vac of those parts. I'm prob gonna have to vac a lot of parts for this build because of parts being not what they seem. Need to source some decals as well...don't know what Halifax I will end up with...lol.

 

Them Tamiya Beaufighter engines make a world of difference except when it comes to the APU nacelle which the exhaust is on the opposite side. Turn'n it upside down won't work so each engine XVI will have to be modified, which is a pain but its better than the FM engine build. Was thinking of gett'n a 5th engine to help out with bits for that one. 

 

Keep up the good work...I gots a headache!

 

PHIL.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/11/2019 at 2:48 AM, LongMan2 said:

Hi Woody37,

 

Hmm, Mr Eduard again...will have to look into that one. I find it tough with some of Eduards early stuff to get it to fit. Wish they would jack up the 1/72 Revell Halifax bits to 1/48...but I'm dreaming there.

 

I'm still stuck on the outer engine nacelles because FM seems to have got it a little confused somewhat. I'm looking for wood to make a master for a vac of those parts. I'm prob gonna have to vac a lot of parts for this build because of parts being not what they seem. Need to source some decals as well...don't know what Halifax I will end up with...lol.

 

Them Tamiya Beaufighter engines make a world of difference except when it comes to the APU nacelle which the exhaust is on the opposite side. Turn'n it upside down won't work so each engine XVI will have to be modified, which is a pain but its better than the FM engine build. Was thinking of gett'n a 5th engine to help out with bits for that one. 

 

Keep up the good work...I gots a headache!

 

PHIL.

 

 

Hi Phil,

 

You are a braver man than I, I'm leaving the nacelles as they are. Why can't you simply turn the APU nacelle round? I know there's a drain or something at the bottom but I was just going to fill that in for that one. I can't see any difference otherwise?

 

I got my first Beaufighter kit today so been having a play around. The nacelle behind the power egg should taper off but it doesn't in the kit so there are some compromises to make as life is far too short. With this in mind, the open flaps look better than the closed ones that come with the Beaufighter engines so I'm going to use the FM flaps with the Beaufighter engines. 

 

Firstly, a dry fit of the flaps. not too bad, but some fettling to get a good even fit

spacer.png

 

Plasticard over the front of the nacelles to extend the outers and provide a slight curve once covered in P38 although no where near how they should look

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

Dry fit of a Defiant turret as suggested by @Cees Broere at Telford. The turret fairing needs to be opened out or replaced as it's a tad too small in diameter to allow the turret to slide in

spacer.png

 

Dry fit of a Beaufighter engine with FM cowl flaps

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...