1/48 Halifax 346 Sqn PN365 (H7-B) - Finished!

woody37

Been working on something that will be seen...well kind of if you can get down that low! The bomb bay. It's just going to be a general representation but is better than the kit part. Still working my way down to the front, every single bit has been individually cut. Those awkward shaped ribs were a pain to do! The end pieces will be backfilled with P38 and sanded flush

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 27

Brave man, 

You have made a very nice representation of the overcomplicated bombbay structure. I won't go that far and plan to close the doors.

The only option in the kit is to have the doors open, so closing them would be an interesting thing to do😶
Cees

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LongMan2 said:

Hi Woody37,

Its looking real sharp...and the bomb bay is looking great. Been stuck here with problems but hope to start up my build again very soon.

Phil.

Hi Phil, 

real life has a habit of doing that to us, my time at the bench has dropped off again too, be good to see your progress :)

1 minute ago, Cees Broere said:

Brave man, 

You have made a very nice representation of the overcomplicated bombbay structure. I won't go that far and plan to close the doors.

The only option in the kit is to have the doors open, so closing them would be an interesting thing to do😶
Cees

Hi Cees, 

thanks. Need to pop over and have a look at your progress this week. Might be worth doing a mould and forming the lower profile as either one or two pieces (join where the kink is?). I was thinking of doing that if I didn’t use the kit doors. I’m sure you’ll sort it through having seen your interior progress :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cees Broere said:

Brave man, 

Cees

My door hinges were missing, so I closed mine up. No more of a faff than anything else on this beast.

• Like 1

The bay looks great so far - it brings back painful memories of doing the same on my 1/32nd one. At least the parts I had to make were a bit bigger though... the thought of doing it all in 1/48th is enough to give one the quivers.

Tom

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, tomprobert said:

The bay looks great so far - it brings back painful memories of doing the same on my 1/32nd one. At least the parts I had to make were a bit bigger though... the thought of doing it all in 1/48th is enough to give one the quivers.

Tom

You do builds like this all the time Tom, you’re raving mad!

• Haha 1

Got the lattice work finished in the bomb bay now. There's still the door actuators, some pipework and bomb carriers to go in yet and the fuselage around it needs rescribing before a full going over with Rosie riveter. time to sort the rear gear bay now :)

spacer.png 

• Like 12

8 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Neil, just caught up, great progress fella, that cockpit interior looks absolutely fantastic as well as the bomb bay . This is an absolutely stunning model.

All the best

Chris

Thanks Chris, it's getting there slowly.

Small update from this evening, finally finished tidying the rear gear bay up. The Gear leg has been drilled and a brass rod inserted with a brass sleeve inserted in to the fuselage to locate it in to. Just the windows to fit and sand flush now and the fuselage is done.

spacer.png

• Like 12

Indeed, very impressive. That bombbay looks fantastic.

Not something I am willing to contemplate after I have (almost) finished scratchbuilding the cockpit interior. The forward bulkhead seem to get out of

alignment everytime and tend protrude into the bay. But if I have a change of mind your work will be a very nice template. Wonderful.

You keep the entrance door fully open?

Cees

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cees Broere said:

Indeed, very impressive. That bombbay looks fantastic.

Not something I am willing to contemplate after I have (almost) finished scratchbuilding the cockpit interior. The forward bulkhead seem to get out of

alignment everytime and tend protrude into the bay. But if I have a change of mind your work will be a very nice template. Wonderful.

You keep the entrance door fully open?

Cees

I had quite a few problems with the interior, it got narrowed down and rebuilt several times, I started out trying to use the kit parts but it turned out easier to scratch build everything.

are you referring to the rear hatch? If so, yes I’m keeping it open. The rear fuselage got some interior detail too but I forgot to take photos. It’s fairly minimal detail though. I need to do a new canopy some point soon so can run one off for you if you like?

cheers

neil

On 1/21/2020 at 7:25 AM, Cees Broere said:

Yes please.

I was hoping to get them formed this weekend but haven't got round to it yet, hopefully one evening this week mate :)

Bit more progress today. The first shot is one from last weekend with the wings on just to see how its all looking

spacer.png

Since then, the fuselage big windows have been fitted. Lots of fun (not!!) sanding them flush, the clear plastic was tougher than the fuselage material so it kept sanding down everything but what I wanted. Hours was spent one step forwards, two steps back, but we're at a point now where the rescribing is being done and I've just fitted the H2S dome. It needs tidying up yet

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

There's still plenty of riveting to do yet and of course fitting the canopy before paintwork commences. Next big job will be to fit the tail feathers. Some blending work will be required there.

Cheers

Neil

• Like 17

No rush Neil, I am not as fast as you, but I have almost finished scratchbuilding the cockpit with just the instrument panel to go.

That looks really good, especially the wings to fuselage joins. Hard to tell this is the FM kit.

Do you use the same type of clear plastic for the windows as for the canopy? I will be nearing that phase soon, and I think CD-box plastic is too thick for the fuselage halves so something else must be found.

Did you notice the lack of shoulder on the FM fuselage compared to the drawings?

Cheers

Cees

Edited by Cees Broere

5 hours ago, Cees Broere said:

No rush Neil, I am not as fast as you, but I have almost finished scratchbuilding the cockpit with just the instrument panel to go.

That looks really good, especially the wings to fuselage joins. Hard to tell this is the FM kit.

Do you use the same type of clear plastic for the windows as for the canopy? I will be nearing that phase soon, and I think CD-box plastic is too thick for the fuselage halves so something else must be found.

Did you notice the lack of shoulder on the FM fuselage compared to the drawings?

Cheers

Cees

Hi Cees, 

i used some of the PET plastic that was used to form the canopy because it’s thinner (0.5 or 0.75mm) than the CD case material but it’s not as easy to sand. That said, I used CD case material on the Stirling and it developed stress fractures that made them go cloudy. This stuff is more flexible. I can put a few off cuts in with the canopy if you want some.

are you referring the wing root shoulder? I haven’t noticed anything.

thanks

The bit on the top of the fuselage, if you look at the cross sections the shoulders should slope inwards a bit. The kit is wrong in that respect but not very noticeable. But I was surprised when I had to make a new frame 7 and it was

almost square with some rounded off edges.

As I said earlier you are really up to speed on your build. Matter of time before you can slosh camouflage paint all over her. I am still playing around in the cockpit with just a new instrument panel left to do.

Oh, and some clear off cuts would be very nice.

Thanks

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/28/2020 at 7:22 AM, Cees Broere said:

The bit on the top of the fuselage, if you look at the cross sections the shoulders should slope inwards a bit. The kit is wrong in that respect but not very noticeable. But I was surprised when I had to make a new frame 7 and it was

almost square with some rounded off edges.

As I said earlier you are really up to speed on your build. Matter of time before you can slosh camouflage paint all over her. I am still playing around in the cockpit with just a new instrument panel left to do.

Oh, and some clear off cuts would be very nice.

Thanks

Hi Cees,

It does slop in a bit, there is a slight taper on the canopy mould on the sides although it doesn't come out well on the photo's. Further down the fuselage does look to be more square but I'm not too wooried with that. I'll take a photo of the mould next time I have the camera out. I've not been over to your build for a few weeks so will venture over this evening. When I redo the canopy mould, I'll run a few off for you and send the off cuts with it too. I've still not got round to it.

That said, I have done a bit over the last week or so. I needed to glue the engines in so I could make some spacers to locate them against. As such, I had to paint them first so the first exterior paint is technically on! Because I'm using the Beaufighter engines, there's a 10mm diameter slot on the rear of the engine so I bought some 10mm diameter tubing. I had to shave a little off the tube to make a slide fit, but the spacers were glued on to the rear nacelles on the wings so that the engines can be temporarily fitted for now. I've also used the Beaufighter carb intakes rather than the FM ones. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The Beaufighter / Lancaster cross breed prop in place

spacer.png

In other news, the tail planes have been fitted and Miliput used to blend the shoulders in

spacer.png

spacer.png

Next step is to finish the framing & detail off under the canopy then fit it and mask it (once I've formed a new one, this one has a few flaws in it and over spray). Not long for paint :)

Cheers

Neil

• Like 18