1/48 Halifax 346 Sqn PN365 (H7-B) - Finished!

woody37

Bit more work done on the interior...well lots actually as I must of done the basic layout 3 times before I was happy!! The seats look to be far too small so I've done a new pilots one from scratch. Still lots more detail to go in but it's getting there slowly. The instrument panel had to be cut down in height slightly due to all the faffing about with the structure. The modelling bench is looking like a plastic massacre 😂

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 9

This is really coming along fantastically. I sent you a PM about the Beaufighter transparencies, but if you're looking at redoing the BP turret I d be also keen to get a copy of that off you as I have a Coastal Command Liberator I'm wanting to do!

Regards

Bruce

10 hours ago, pacificmustang said:

This is really coming along fantastically. I sent you a PM about the Beaufighter transparencies, but if you're looking at redoing the BP turret I d be also keen to get a copy of that off you as I have a Coastal Command Liberator I'm wanting to do!

Regards

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

ive just checked my pms and haven’t received any messages but you can have one of the transparency sets if needed.

I'm hoping to use the existing rear turret transparency as it’s flexible so hoping I can widen it by making a new base and rear piece but if not, I’ll look to create a new one. I was thinking the same thing for a CC lib. There is an aftermarket turret available but it’s expensive for what you get.

cheers

neil

• Like 1

Got a few more hours on the interior detailing this afternoon. The port side is pretty much done so started work on the starboard side now. I've made parachutes out of blutac for ease. The rear fuselage opposite the entry door will have a basic structure on show but nothing fancy so hoping to have the interior painted this week as no work until the 6th Jan :)

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 10

Thanks guys.

Got some paint on the front end tonight. There's still some tidying up and detail to add in to the bombardier area at the front but it's largely complete now. It doesn't look bad at normal viewing distance but looks a bit ropey under close inspection but given that it will only been seen under a framed canopy, I'm not too worried. Obviously there's more detail to go around the framing above the engineers area but I'll add that at a later stage.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 18

5 minutes ago, woody37 said:

Thanks guys.

Got some paint on the front end tonight. There's still some tidying up and detail to add in to the bombardier area at the front but it's largely complete now. It doesn't look bad at normal viewing distance but looks a bit ropey under close inspection but given that it will only been seen under a framed canopy, I'm not too worried. Obviously there's more detail to go around the framing above the engineers area but I'll add that at a later stage.

And just how many of our members have ever had the chance to look into a real Halifax cockpit, even a restored example, let alone a real wartime one?

Chris

• Like 2

I wish my builds were half as ropey as what you've produced there! That's really great work! 

I'm enjoying seeing your progress with the build, it's always interesting and the work you've done this far is magnificent. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cees Broere said:

Wow, Neil that looks fantastic.

I better get moving on mine before I lose myself too much in the details.

You seem to be preparing for closing the fuselage, that's what I call progress.

Cees

Thanks for the kind comments guys.

Hopefully not too far away now Cees, just need to check everything over before I do. Pretty much there now. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

All that hard work hidden!

spacer.png

Happy New Year gents. Thanks for following and hopefully 2020 will be a more productive year. I only finished two builds this year so it can't get much worse 😂

Cheers,

Neil signing out for this decade

• Like 24

6 hours ago, woody37 said:

spacer.png

I only finished two builds this year so it can't get much worse 😂

Oh yes it can!!

That's an absolute masterpiece Matey..Hard to believe it's the F.M. kit underneath all that make-up.

All the best for the new year.

Chris.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Memories, memories. After doing pretty much that, I closed mine up. Then the navigators table came loose. Although I could get in the nose with tweezers, it refused point blank to be reattached. A little while after that, something in the radio operators compartment came loose. Cant see what, or get to it. It rattles, and I have to make sure it doesn't appear in the window if I move the model.

The joys of modelling.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, stringbag said:

Oh yes it can!!

That's an absolute masterpiece Matey..Hard to believe it's the F.M. kit underneath all that make-up.

All the best for the new year.

Chris.

Ha ha, I’m expecting good things from you Mr Tonks in 2020! 

Happy new year matey, need to sort that meet up at the airport soon :)

10 hours ago, CJP said:

This Halifix is going to be one of the modelling highlights of the new year

I’m feeling the pressure now lol! So much that can go wrong yet! 

51 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Memories, memories. After doing pretty much that, I closed mine up. Then the navigators table came loose. Although I could get in the nose with tweezers, it refused point blank to be reattached. A little while after that, something in the radio operators compartment came loose. Cant see what, or get to it. It rattles, and I have to make sure it doesn't appear in the window if I move the model.

The joys of modelling.

Glad it’s not just my builds, nothing worse than the interior freely moving around. One of my airliner models has a full trim system, the nose weight slides all the way to the back 😂

• Like 1

Made more progress over the last few days. The interior is finished and the two halves together. Two rounds of fill, sand, prime have got it to this stage although that wasn't as easy as it sounds, the two sides didn't appear to be the same size/shape so a lot of grinding of one side whilst building the other up with P38 filler has got it to a satisfactory state now. Working on the exterior of the fuselage is likely to take a couple of weeks due to starting a new job so time at the bench will be less. Key next steps are to detail the bomb bay, rescribe and fit/flush the forwards side windows. The cockpit will go on last to avoid dust contamination. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

The bomb bay wasn't parallel so a couple of the cross members have been fitted to reduce the problem although the root of one of the wings now needs altering as a result of the fuselage being pushed out more than when I made the roots. Typical chasing ones tail but I'm happy with the progress. Another issue is because I've widened the rear end, the tail wheel bay is now wider than the resin insert so I need to add plasticard to the sides to reduce the bay width again!

spacer.png

Cheers

Neil

• Like 11

Not much progress this week. Fettling the surfaces is largely complete now although the rear wheel bay still needs sorting. Next up will be detailing the bomb bay...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The upper frame behind the pilots seat has armoured? windows in it so bits of perspex were cut out and stuck in. It's a bit rough and ready but the canopy framing will make it less noticeable once in place and painted. The rear framework still needs to be added

spacer.png

This is the turret from the Airfix Defiant, a nice fit now that the ring has been skimmed to open it up a bit.

spacer.png

The side windows will get done once the bomb bay has been detailed. These invariably get dust on the insides so trying to avoid (well actually procrastinating!!) fitting them until later.

spacer.png

• Like 10